Build.com

Updated Feb 13, 2015
Updated Feb 13, 2015

3.2

Product Data Specialist Clerk Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Build.com.

The process was pretty straightforward. I sent in my application and received a spreadsheet test 2 days later. It was a good test and I didnt have any issues with it, sent it back, and had a phone interview about a week later. The rep that I talked to was very happy and It was a great on phone interview that lasted about an hour but started with the discussion of soups and the weather in Chico. A week after that I received a invitation to the build.com site for an in person interview. It started with a small tour of the facility from the same rep that i had the phone interview with, and she told me a interesting story about an applicant that said one of her hobbies was belly dancing. The interview was with 4 people, the rep , data manager, vp of operations, and one more guy who's title I don't remember. They asked alot about my work history and experience, where I learned to work with spreadsheets etc. The interview ended with worm dancing lessons from the rep, and it lasted about 40 minutes. Sadly I did not receive the final interview.

Production Data Specialist Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Build.com.

Within a couple of hours of submitting my application online, I received an aptitude test based on working with an Excel workbook. It was an impressive test; probably the most in-depth one I've ever seen on Excel. The job requires a 40 wpm typing speed so I had to get a typing certificate at the local One Stop Job Center. About a week after applying there was a phone interview with a member of the recruiting team. Basic questions about experience and background were asked but I think it also had a lot to do with seeing if I have the personality to match the build.com environment. A few days later, I had my first, face-to-face interview with management from the Data Department. I was given an opportunity to present my experience and there were some basic questions about my technical aptitude. The hiring process then requires that at least 4 Director, or above, leaders approve of an applicant getting a job offer. There were 7 or 8 people in my final interview but it seemed like 20. I was simply asked why they should hire me & I presented why I am awesome. There were some questions regarding the work experiences I mentioned. During both face-to-face interviews, all interviewers were on their laptops typing away. Slightly distracting but I would have been more nervous if they were not typing away. They made the decision to offer me a job in that interview. I filled out on-boarding paperwork & I was given a book to read before training. Drug screening was the next day but I could have taken a couple of extra days if I needed to do so. There was a references & background check. Once that was completed an email confirming my start date was received.

Interview Questions
    • How have you made a change for the better on a previous job?   Answer Question

Product Data Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Build.com.

Responded to online ad including specific Excel based logic type questions, e.g. "how would you do X in Excel?" Had high expectations and very strong desire to be a part of Build. Researched company thoroughly and read Chris Friedland's blog. Super pumped. Got phone screening call from recruiter and invite to come in. Interview was made up of panel of 6 (all with laptops open). Was asked theoretical situational questions, what I would do with data, what kind of formula I would use in Excel, etc. I felt completely at home. Interview went well. I then get a call the next morning with an offer. $12/hour. I was jaw-dropped. I exchange words with the HR pawn that says she has no authority to negotiate at all and then tries to shame me about what would I expect etc. I sank in my chair in disappointment and declined the offer. To this day I compulsively look at their job boards. Funny, this job is back open I see again.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a series of SKUs with a format similar to "0125.21567" and you wanted to return only the numbers following the period, what formula would you use?    View Answer

HR drone is misinformed to call this position "entry level" when tasks involve robust Excel skills incl. data clean up and formula writing. We're not talking simply TRIM(), or LEFT(), etc., but complex things like =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(Sheet1!A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$3,1,FALSE)),"no match",VLOOKUP(Sheet1!A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$3,1,FALSE)). Entry level is simply entering data. Offering $12/hr for this is a slap to an "A" Level employee—you've read Chris's blog, right?

Build.com Response

Jan 5, 2015

Fair critique and response. Truth be told you would probably be given the offer regardless of whether or not you could pass our difficult excel test. We do LOTS of OJT for excel as not many come in ... More

Build Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Build.com.

Submitted an application online, and was emailed for a phone screen about a month later. Went through the phone screen and was emailed the next day for an in person interview. Went to the in person interview, and was told that there could possibly be a second in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were very basic, and it seemed as if the interviewers weren't very prepared.   Answer Question

Hiring Process IS A Joke Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Build.com.

Initial phone call, one week later there is an assessment test, one week later a panel interview, one to two weeks later another panel interview, one week later a phone call.

Interview Questions
    • An unexpected question was "Do you know Captain Kirk's birthday date?"   Answer Question
    There wasn't one.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Build.com in August 2013.

Filled out Application online, submitted typing Certificate, then got a phone screen a couple weeks later, then about a week later had a face-to-face interview, then a couple days after that had another face-to-face with "exectuives." whole process took about a month, but considering the steps and how many people they told me they were interview, not bad time frame. Phone interview was a little odd, cause i could hear the person typing and taking notes, the first interview was with a few people including a sales director, and then the 2nd interview was with a panel of board directors and or executives. Which the 2nd interview was more relaxed than the first lol which i thought was really nice but odd in the sense that none of them were wearing ties, suites, or well dressed by any means. Most were in sandals, shorts and even sporting ball caps. Made me more relaxed and made the environment feel fun.

Interview Questions
    • Example of when I Really messed something up, and how I fixed it.   Answer Question
    For entry level there was not negotiation. Base pay was great for local area, with no cap on commissions.

Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Build.com.

Very few are hired into this position, it is more of a place that someone grows into. 9 out of 10 employees will start as a member of the data team or the call center, it takes probly two years of work to be promoted elsewhere, and the lucky few who show their potential and skills get promoted into brand management, most people go into marketing or some other more specific job.

Interview Questions
    • How would you merchandise a page - this question is key in figuring out if you have potential as a brand manager or not.   View Answer
    heres your pay, sound good to you?

Data Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Build.com.

I started as a temp and was interviewed by the temp agency. Now the interview process is a little more difficult. A perspective employee will be reviewed by all hiring managers for the position they are applying for. Those who are accepted have a phone screening, and if their phone screening goes well, they get an interview. Usually an offer or refusal is made after one

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared for questions that try to judge who *you* are as a person. The managers at Build really want to see the individual come out in an interview, so occasionally the questions can be pretty random.   View Answer

User Experience Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Build.com in March 2012.

Contacted Build after being dissatisfied with previous employer. Had heard good things about the company. The recruiter scheduled me for an interview. I had two interviews, one with recruitment and one with the team. I received and offer soon after.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty straight forward, they are looking for members of a team more importantly than how skilled you are.   Answer Question

Product Data Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Build.com in May 2011.

My interview was great, I found a way to relate to the people around me. We had a great conversation before the questioning started to break the ice. Everyone in the room seemed very relaxed. Culture is huge here at Build.com and showing a great personality in the interview will aid tremendously in getting an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What are 3 of your weaknesses? Never sure how to answer that one.   View Answer