BuildASign.com

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Art Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at BuildASign.com in September 2011.

My first contact consisted of a phone interview in which the hiring manager was the only one on the phone (or so I thought since he did not introduce anyone else). During my second panel interview with four people the supervisor let it slip that others were listening during my first interview. I thought this was very unprofessional. I also had to sign a non-confidentiality agreement even before the second interview. All of the questions they had for me were about my other positions at large corporations and how they did things. It seemed like that was the only reason why I was interviewed. I also didn't like the fact that on the panel were people that the position would supervise. When I asked how long the last person held the position and what were the positives/negatives that they wanted changed, their response was that the last employee only held that position for 6 months. I had a red flag right then.

I heard back several days later that they wanted me to complete a skills test. I had no problem with that except they wanted a redesign of their homepage within 48 hrs. as well as a critique of two e-commerce sites. I reluctantly did the work-I did not do my best as at that point I decided that even if they offered me the job I would not accept. Not having key information about a company and their product will not produce an effective redesign. There test was ineffective and ridiculous. You should not be required to actually produce work for a company before you are hired. A skills test should be hypothetical.

I thought that the practice of signing a non-disclosure agreement and then wanting you to violate any privacy of other companies to get a job was unethical. The place was a sty and 40 people were in the room the size of a conference room working so close together that you could bump into someone just by writing. The receptionist was in the hallway and I bumped into her on walking in the door. Cooking utensils were in the bathroom!

I have no idea why this company keeps getting voted as the best place to work in Austin. This was not a professional environment at all.

Interview Questions
  • Detailed questions about the procedures of the other large companies I have worked for...   View Answer