BuildASign.com Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2014
Updated Jul 16, 2014

2.8

Online Marketing Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at BuildASign.com in June 2013.

The interview process at BuildASign was easy, informative, and to the point. I was contacted by a recruiter shortly after sending in my resume. The recruiter set up a phone conversation with the two of us and proceeded to schedule an onsite interview for me the following week. I met with two members of the team I would be working under. Both gentlemen were friendly and professional. They started off the interview by asking questions about my background and informed me a little bit more about the company. They ended the interview with harder questions and case study type scenarios. It truly helped me envision what I would be doing in the role I was applying for. They also gave me a tour of the office which I really appreciated!

The recruiter and I connected via email later that afternoon and she informed me of the time frame they were working with. This is extremely helpful when you are in the midst of interviewing for multiple jobs. She told me that I would be contacted either way, and eventually called me the following week to offer me the position. The hiring process at BuildASign was seamless and I have nothing but great things to say about it.

Interview Questions
    • Rather than asking where do you see yourself in 5 years ... they asked "Where do you NOT see yourself in 5 years?"   Answer Question
    • "Give us a client (brand or company you currently follow) and let us know how you would sell affiliate marketing to them? How does it benefit them? What would they sell or advertise? How could the deal you're offering be exclusive?"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at BuildASign.com in June 2013.

I applied for the position through the BuildASign.com website, and was contacted the next day by their recruiter, who helped me schedule a phone interview with a manager from the development team. The phone interview was very short (about half an hour), and covered some basic screening questions on C#, SQL, and general web and programming concepts. He also told me a little about the company and answered some questions I had.

Later that day I received an e-mail asking if I'd be interested in a full interview, and we were able to schedule it for the following week. After arriving, I was given a brief tour of the offices and got introduced around, then sat down for the interview itself. The process lasted about six or seven hours. Everyone was extremely friendly and supportive, but I have to admit that it was a fairly stressful experience. There was nothing inappropriate or unusual about it, it was just long and very thorough.

In the morning there were three one-hour sessions with groups of two interviewers, each one covering a different topic like programming language features, database design and querying, a whiteboard coding problem, design patterns and architecture, and a couple logic puzzles somewhere between brainteasers and "20 questions." They also took an interest in things I had listed on my resume that weren't strictly relevant to the position (and corrected a few misunderstandings!), which was nice.

We then took a break for lunch, which gave me a chance to meet the rest of the development team and just relax a little and have fun. Again, everyone was very friendly and welcoming. The managers gave us some space, and I was encouraged to ask any questions I wanted and "get the dirt" about working for the company.

After lunch there was a series of shorter meetings with senior developers and managers, focusing less on technical questions and more on my interests and goals and the philosophy of the company. I got a tour of the production facility across the street, after which two of the managers sat me down, we did one last puzzle question (which I bombed), and then they went through some of my strengths and weaknesses throughout the day, and surprised me by making an offer. I had to leave quickly to catch my flight, so we worked out the details by e-mail over the weekend.

Interview Questions
    • Strangely, the most difficult and stressful part was the (relatively simple) puzzle game at the very end of the day. At that point I'd been at it for about seven hours and my brain was just fried, and of course when I couldn't figure it out quickly I started fixating on the fact that I couldn't figure it out, and it went downhill from there. So, stay sharp even if it feels like the hard part is over and things are winding down!   Answer Question
    They held firm with their initial offer, but it was competitive and so I was happy to accept.

Vehicle Graphics Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at BuildASign.com in June 2013.

Inititial communication was via email and telephone, in both instances the coorespondance was the right mixture of casual and professional. I was asked to interview and scheduling was considerate and communicative. Showing for the interview was intriguing. I heard what turned out to be the production manager playing ping pong on the other side of the door. A customer waiting in the lobby for pick-up (cheerfully) informed me that it was him on the other side of the door. This furthered the sensation of casual with professional. The lobby was nice, the sign the customers left with was impressive. When lead to my interview, I was brought through the production area, finding myself initially shocked by the scale and immaculate functionality the shop presented. The style the two interviewers gave was "down to brass tacks". Pragmatic questions done in a language we both could relate to. I respected their demeanor in a way that made me comfortable with being 100% myself.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions. The most difficult question was related to an explanation of my work history. There were many factors to try to blend into a succinct and clear picture.   Answer Question
    Negotiation came down to mutual trust. I found it respectful to my background, their need, and the experience they offer.

Giving Program Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at BuildASign.com in June 2013.

I was interviewed by the Program Coordinator, who was very sweet. She was easy to talk to and a very compassionate person. She asked about my background in this type of work, why I wanted to work for the company, what I knew about the company, and if I had any questions about the administrator position or the company in general. She was very pleased that I had done a lot of research about the company, and I could tell that she probably has had interviewees come in who don't know anything about the program or the company in general. In the middle of the interview, the Director of Culture and Communications came in to meet me. She couldn't stay long as they were dealing with a power outage; however, she was very sweet as well.

Interview Questions
    • What is an idea that you have that does not have to do with your professional life?   Answer Question
    I was initially set up with a phone interview. In the phone interview, I was asked what my pay requirement would be. When I was brought into the on-site interview, there was no additional discussion about the topic. I was hired soon after and told that I would be starting at the wage I had requested during the phone interview.

Production Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at BuildASign.com in June 2013.

After applying online it took a couple of weeks for me to receive communication from the company. After another week i had an interview. I interviewed with an hr rep then a week later with two production managers. I was told i was put in the pipeline and it could be up to three months before i got a call. The next week i was hired.

Customer Love Representative Interview

I loved the hiring/interviewing process. It was clearly built to benefit both the candidate and the company - they set up and stick to a specific schedule and list of interviewing tasks. The best part was the fact that after my in-office interview, they said they would call me regardless of their decision (I don't believe this to be very common amongst employers). Very considerate. Also, the interview process was decidedly practical. It isn't just about coming in, sitting down in a non-descript desk and talking to people I don't know. It was about getting a true understanding for both who Buildasign.com is, and what they expect of you (as a Customer Love Representative).

Interview Questions
    • "On a scale of 1-10, how lucky would you say you are?" - I thought this was interesting. It certainly gets at a person's personal motto/attitude about life, and probably let's the employer know who/what they are dealing with.   Answer Question

Customer Love Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at BuildASign.com in May 2013.

I found the hiring/interview process surprisingly seamless. I submitted my resume/application for consideration and was contacted via email by an HR representative approximately an hour later to schedule an interview. As it relates to the interview process, I found it quick and efficient and the interviewers friendly and informative.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question I answered was one in which I was asked "Without limitations, what is my dream job." I found this to be pleasantly unexpected and outside the traditional norms of what is usually a staid and tense process. It lends the interview process a more conversational quality, which was refreshing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at BuildASign.com in May 2013.

I first had a phone interview for this position. The phone interview was very thorough and professional. I was then asked to come in for the 2nd interview. I had to complete a typing test. I then sat with one of the representatives to see the type of work I would be doing. This was great because you really get to see what the job entails. The environment here is very cool, when you walk through the building this company still has the vibe of a start-up company, very relaxed. Everyone is extremely friendly and seem genuinely happy with being at work.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was maybe "Describe a situation where you had an escalated call and diffused the situation." These types of questions can be just slightly difficult because it is sometimes hard to remember exact calls etc.   View Answer

Talent Acquisition Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at BuildASign.com.

I was referred to the HR Manager by a previous coworker and soon after had a phone interview scheduled. She was extremely down to earth and gave excellent insight into the position, the team and the company as a whole. The phone call lasted about 45 minutes and I found that the company values very much matched my own and that this position would allow me excellent ownership and room to grow as a recruiter.

At the end of our conversation, she invited me to come onsite and meet with the HR team, herself and one other Director. We scheduled the onsite for the following week. I first met with the HR Manager, and then the other Director joined us for about 15 minutes. The last 20 minutes were spent with the HR Manager and the other members of the HR team. Everyone was extremely friendly and down to earth. They had excellent questions that actually had meaning behind them in terms of how they evaluated a potential new team member. The HR Manager gave me a tour of the office before I left and I was only that much more excited about the potential opportunity.

I received a verbal offer the following day and gladly accepted. Overall the process was very quick and painless. I felt all my questions were answers and I had a clear idea of the expectations of my position and how I fit into the company equation. I never felt railroaded into a decision and I am happy to be a part of the company

Interview Questions
    • What are some creative and out of the box strategies that you use for attracting top talent?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at BuildASign.com in April 2013.

I nterviewed for the "Customer Love" position. Everyone I spoke to was personable & outgoing, and it put me at ease.The goal of the Customer Love Team is to "wow" the customer with the best customer service possible, and they totally exemplified this, because they "wowed" me.--Dee R.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in the next year, and the next five (5) years.   View Answer
    I was given a preliminary overview of the day-to-day operations process and actually was placed with a Customer Love Representative to see the "Love Team" in action. This was a positive for me to not only see if I was a "good fit" for the company, but if this position was a "good fit" for me. Not many interviews I've been on gave me the opportunity to do that before hiring. Just this one aspect alone gave me confirmation that this was a company I would be proud to work for.