Bulletin Intelligence Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

Research Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bulletin Intelligence.

Interview

Fairly straight forward. None of the questions were very challenging, but the hiring process did require a significant time investment, from screening calls, to individual interview at the end of the process.

Office Manager and Media Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bulletin Intelligence (Reston, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied to one of those two positions. Two weeks later I was informed that HR just noticed my e-mail went to the wrong inbox. I was asked if I was still interested. That led to a phone interview. The person decided after a couple of minutes that if I took the part-time job I would only stay until I found a full-time job. I asked if the full-time Office Manager position was still available. Yes it was. Then I was invited for an in-person interview for both positions.

It starts with a Wonderlic Assessment test. Then I talked to two people for an hour. Very conversational setup, ample opportunity to explain yourself.

The rejection e-mail was confusing. It only referred to my application, nothing about the interview. And it only referred to one of the positions they considered me for. I got clarification once I sent an e-mail to one of the people I met there. Very short, terse response. Well, it's probably a blessing in disguise after reading some of the comments here.

Interview Questions

• Basically used my resume as a guide to ask how my career developed.   Answer Question

Legal Industry Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bulletin Intelligence in December 2014.

Interview

Found the posting online on a job board and I applied a day or two after it appeared. The posting disappeared a few days later. Don't know how to read that. Original positing said the job could be done anywhere with a strong, reliable internet connection... basically, you can telecommute. The postings on the official website lacks this information so take that as you will.

For the most part I was a "quota" or "token" interviewee squeezed in at the last minute before year end. The process supposedly consists of a phone screening, testing (personality test, cognitive test, and writing test), and the real interview.

From the moment I had the phone screening I could tell the company was not really interested in me as a candidate. The woman doing the screening wasn't an HR person from the department that hires analysts so she couldn't answer any questions for me and seemed irritated yet slightly amused that I bothered to ask any. Still I was able to find out that if hired, you would need to go to Reston and train for two weeks onsite then continue training at home. Although you can work anywhere, they prefer for analysts to attend quarterly meetings in person. I'm guessing this is all true, but as I said the phone screener wasn't the person who hires/works for the analyst side of the company (I believe she said she just hires for sales).

Anyway, I unexpectedly got an email later that day to schedule a day to complete testing - I was sure from the tone of the phone screening, I wasn't going to go any further. Both the personality test and cognitive test are through Wonderlic. The cognitive test is timed (30 questions in 8 minutes) as well as the writing test. With the test schedule email, they send a sample of a Bulletin summary to use as a guide for the writing sample. They also have sample reports on the BI website if you want to look at one.

Just as the other reviews mentioned, there is no "analysis" at all. It's not really a summary either as they tell you not to really summarize the articles and use too much detail since the user can just click a link to read the actual article. If following the format, you are basically quoting the most interesting relevant, sections of articles. You can decipher the basic construct of the summary from the sample: there are lots of "The AP reports X" and "The Washington Post reports Y." For the writing test you are given several articles on one topic and asked to do a summary like the sample. You have 45 minutes to complete the writing test but the articles are 7 pages long in small type so depending on how fast you read you can spend almost half the time reading the whole thing which leaves 20-25 minutes to construct a summary. My strategy was to choose the article/source with the best base info then use other articles/sources to report on important information that was not included in the base article/source. Unfortuntely, with all the scrolling back and forth you lose time trying to find the info you are looking for and tring to quoting. I strongly recommend you open the articles in Word or Adobe Acrobat and highlight sections as you read to save on time. I didn't highlight as I read, but I did okay under the circumstances and time. Yet, since there was no real interest in my application, I should have done better if I really wanted to give it my best shot regardless.

About 2 days later, I finally got the email that they would not pursue my application due to my background and writing sample - so no "real" interview. Not a shock but it is aggravating to waste time on something that you were never in the running for. Would be better to first interview with someone who has real knowledge of the position, then if you and the interviewer decide to go forward, do the tests. Fortunately, I also submitted an application with a larger company with better hours, pay, benefits, telecommute option and they are seriously pursuing my application.

Interview Questions

• Typical canned questions - how did you find out about the position, what interests you about the position, not much interest in past work history   Answer Question

Senior Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bulletin Intelligence (Reston, VA).

Interview

Interview was very long and in-depth (4 hours). Started with a short (easy) online test and then met with many of the managers. Make sure to research the company well before your interview.

Interview Questions

Interview

The initial screening and Interview process was set up in a fairly professional manner in terms of qualifications and experience review. A review of the position was offered and a follow up Q&A was scheduled with the appropriate personnel at the company. The interview was schedule per the HR person,

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Editor and News Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bulletin Intelligence (Reston, VA).

Interview

Benefits touted at interview and during hiring never pan out. When you ask about them you are told you were never offered said benefit.

Interview Questions

• They require an intelligence test.   3 Answers

Negotiation

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bulletin Intelligence (Reston, VA) in April 2013.

Interview

There is a resume screen, written test, cognitive test, phone screen, and in person interview. The writing test asks you to answer questions that are similar to what you'd face on a daily basis in the position. They test your writing ability and also your approach in answering the questions. Be prepared to speak to your service experience,

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to an irate client when you were not the one to make the mistake?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bulletin Intelligence (Reston, VA) in September 2012.

Interview

I started by applying online and I received an email back asking for a CV and another email asking me to identify my gender, disability, and veteran statuses... I then got a phone interview with a VP and was invited to another in person interview with them. They had me take an intelligence test before the interview (Wonderlic). For the third round of the interview they cancelled on me and had to reschedule (the day before) which was very unprofessional since I had a feeling they were doing so in order interview more people. When I did finally come in for the third round I interviewed with a higher up VP. Apparently he doesn't know that real companies have people do a case studies rather then asking them how many pizzas are consumed in the USA every week. Then I had an interview with the first VP I met with and I was asked about the presidential debate and what I thought of it. This was basically a political litmus test, and I said what I believed they wanted to hear, however I was wrong and it seems that they want to hire Republicans. I knew I was not going to hear back from them after the political question.

Interview Questions

• How many pizzas are consumed in the USA every week?
      What did you think of the presidential debate?

1 Answer

Editor Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bulletin Intelligence (Washington, DC) in October 2008.

Interview

Thought I'd post about this interview I had almost a year ago, because it was a real time waster. (Thankfully, I found something much better a short while later.)

First, as surreal as it sounds, the hiring manager wouldn't tell me the specific position being offered. He said the interview was for "general future needs." Come on. I'm pretty sure he just didn't want to tell me, because I had told him I specifically did not want to continue working in a certain field I was tired of working on. Yet they have a newsletter on this very topic. So I think his plan was to be vague and then spring it on me that this would be my newsletter once I was hired. Of course, I don't have proof--but otherwise, why not just tell me what the specific position is? Would he really waste his time if he didn't have one open or didn't think he'd have one open soon? I don't buy it.

Another weird thing was his emphasis that employees must "show up even if the roads are closed" due to snow. Even if the federal government is closed! But BulletinNEWS is nowhere near a Metro stop. I got the vibe that this place was a real sweatshop. To wit: vacation and sick days are combined. So God help you if you have some horrible flu or whatnot. I never use sick leave, but combining it with paid leave just seems like a fishy scheme and a way of screwing over people with health problems.

Another weird thing was that this guy wanted to do a background check *before* the job offer. He even handed me a form asking for my SSN--without offering me a job. Simply not done.

I saw a lot of young people there. I think that if you're in your early 20s and desperate for any job, this will suffice and will probably make subsequent jobs seem easy by comparison.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the interview questions.   1 Answer

Editor/News Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Bulletin Intelligence in December 2012.

Interview

All the normal questions about my past work, why I was out looking when I had a job, etc. The interview also took on more of a discussion format, which I appreciated as it signaled the company is looking for intelligent thinkers. Didn’t get any pizza questions, but we did spend a fair amount of time talking about what the company does and who it serves (apparently a “who’s who” of America’s government and business leaders). I saw previous post about the company hiring Republicans, but suspect that’s nonsense as they sell pretty hard that their clients expect zero personal/political bias from the editors in their daily reports. Also, my resume includes two years recently working for a Democratic congressman and not only did they call me in for an interview, they offered me a job. Seems like a place that takes seriously what they do and enjoy doing it.

Interview Questions

• Why I have a law degree but don’t want to practice law.   Answer Question