Bulletin Intelligence

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Development Interview

Business Development

Interviewed at Bulletin Intelligence

Interview Details – The initial screening and Interview process was set up in a fairly professional manner in terms of qualifications and experience review. A review of the position was offered and a follow up Q&A was scheduled with the appropriate personnel at the company. The interview was schedule per the HR person,

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Editor and News Analyst Interview

Editor and News Analyst
Reston, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bulletin Intelligence.

Interview Details – Benefits touted at interview and during hiring never pan out. When you ask about them you are told you were never offered said benefit.

Interview Question – They require an intelligence test.   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – No.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Reston, VA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Bulletin Intelligence in September 2012.

Interview Details – I started by applying online and I received an email back asking for a CV and another email asking me to identify my gender, disability, and veteran statuses... I then got a phone interview with a VP and was invited to another in person interview with them. They had me take an intelligence test before the interview (Wonderlic). For the third round of the interview they cancelled on me and had to reschedule (the day before) which was very unprofessional since I had a feeling they were doing so in order interview more people. When I did finally come in for the third round I interviewed with a higher up VP. Apparently he doesn't know that real companies have people do a case studies rather then asking them how many pizzas are consumed in the USA every week. Then I had an interview with the first VP I met with and I was asked about the presidential debate and what I thought of it. This was basically a political litmus test, and I said what I believed they wanted to hear, however I was wrong and it seems that they want to hire Republicans. I knew I was not going to hear back from them after the political question.

Interview Question – How many pizzas are consumed in the USA every week?
What did you think of the presidential debate?
  View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Editor Interview

Editor
Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at Bulletin Intelligence in October 2008.

Interview Details – Thought I'd post about this interview I had almost a year ago, because it was a real time waster. (Thankfully, I found something much better a short while later.)

First, as surreal as it sounds, the hiring manager wouldn't tell me the specific position being offered. He said the interview was for "general future needs." Come on. I'm pretty sure he just didn't want to tell me, because I had told him I specifically did not want to continue working in a certain field I was tired of working on. Yet they have a newsletter on this very topic. So I think his plan was to be vague and then spring it on me that this would be my newsletter once I was hired. Of course, I don't have proof--but otherwise, why not just tell me what the specific position is? Would he really waste his time if he didn't have one open or didn't think he'd have one open soon? I don't buy it.

Another weird thing was his emphasis that employees must "show up even if the roads are closed" due to snow. Even if the federal government is closed! But BulletinNEWS is nowhere near a Metro stop. I got the vibe that this place was a real sweatshop. To wit: vacation and sick days are combined. So God help you if you have some horrible flu or whatnot. I never use sick leave, but combining it with paid leave just seems like a fishy scheme and a way of screwing over people with health problems.

Another weird thing was that this guy wanted to do a background check *before* the job offer. He even handed me a form asking for my SSN--without offering me a job. Simply not done.

I saw a lot of young people there. I think that if you're in your early 20s and desperate for any job, this will suffice and will probably make subsequent jobs seem easy by comparison.

Interview Question – I don't remember the interview questions.   View Answer

Editor/News Analyst Interview

Editor/News Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Bulletin Intelligence in December 2012.

Interview Details – All the normal questions about my past work, why I was out looking when I had a job, etc. The interview also took on more of a discussion format, which I appreciated as it signaled the company is looking for intelligent thinkers. Didn’t get any pizza questions, but we did spend a fair amount of time talking about what the company does and who it serves (apparently a “who’s who” of America’s government and business leaders). I saw previous post about the company hiring Republicans, but suspect that’s nonsense as they sell pretty hard that their clients expect zero personal/political bias from the editors in their daily reports. Also, my resume includes two years recently working for a Democratic congressman and not only did they call me in for an interview, they offered me a job. Seems like a place that takes seriously what they do and enjoy doing it.

Interview Question – Why I have a law degree but don’t want to practice law.   Answer Question

News Editor Interview

News Editor

Interviewed at Bulletin Intelligence

Interview Details – Talked with hiring manager, established expectations of working schedule, discussed interests in politics and government and desired subject area of work. Established expectations of daily work, company culture and company's prospects for growth. Also discussed availability to start, why leaving current position, where you see yourself in ten years, how you would deal with management problems, etc.

Interview Question – How do you deal with conflict   Answer Question

Worked for Bulletin Intelligence? Contribute to the Community!