Bunnings Warehouse

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Brisbane (Australia)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bunnings Warehouse.

Interview Details – First step (after submitting a resume) was a phone interview where very broad general questions were asked. This was followed by a group interview where you would role play retail scenarios (you would be given a description of a product and would then have to sell it to the group). Mix of individual and group activities. The only guy from my group interview who didn't get hired turned up in shorts full of holes and thongs and didn't answer any questions without umming and aahing. Last stage was a face to face interview where they asked more personal questions about your life experiences, career goals, interests and other typical employment questions.

Interview Question – Be prepared for activities in the group interview where you have to display how you would sell a product. That's unexpected as it got for me. Nothing that difficult either.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Bunnings salaries are according to a group certificate. Nothing much to negotiate other than your employment status (casual/part time/full time) and which department you work in.

Team Member

I applied online and interviewed at Bunnings Warehouse.

Interview Details – Applied online then got an arranged phone interview, pretty straight forward, think they Want to just see what your personality is like, then got a group interview, It was ok, I'm not a fan of public speaking but it wasn't that bad, asked to describe yourself,, what cartoon character would you be, then look at pictures of customer and asked how would you approach them, then group exercise in 3 or 4 selling a product to the interviewers! Don't know how I got through that I thought I messed it up! Be outgoing but not pushy, relaxed, friendly but not brown nose! Then 2 on 1 interview went really well, general retail question want you to provide specific examples not generalizations! So come prepared with times you provided great customer service, helped a colleague etc.. Took about 3 weeks in total.

Interview Question – What cartoon character would you be!   Answer Question

Sydney (Australia)

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bunnings Warehouse in September 2009.

Interview Details – Apply online
Phone interview
Group interview
Individual interview

Interview Question – Tell us about a difficult customer you had in the past, and how you dealt with them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple, it is a part-time job, rates are non negotiable at entry level.

Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Bunnings Warehouse in January 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online via the Bunnings Warehouse careers website and received an e-mail less than a week later asking me to arrange a telephone interview with one of their stores. The telephone interview went for approximately 10 minutes and the interviewer used this time to confirm details in my application and review what experience I had. I was then invited to attend a group interview.

The group interview consisted of 3 parts. In the first part we had to introduce ourselves and describe our hobbies, current work/study status, why we wanted to work for Bunnings and name our favourite animal. In the second part, each person was given a photo of a customer in Bunnings and we were asked how we would approach the customer without saying, "hi, how are you?" In the third part, we were split up into smaller groups and given 3 minutes with a product. At the end of the 3 minutes we had to "sell" the product to the rest of the group.

The next stage of the interview process was the one-on-one interview. The interviewer began by asking about hobbies, interests, why I want to work for Bunnings, etc and then began to ask situation questions. Some examples: "Name a time when you have had to lead a team." "Name a situation where you have had to work with heavy or dangerous equipment." "Name a time when you have been asked to do something impossible."

The next stage of the interview process was "coffee with the boss". This was a chance for the store manager to have a chance to talk with me about my aspirations, what areas I would like to work in, etc. The manager stated that they were looking for "positive and self-motivated" individuals. It was during this stage that I was offered a position.

Overall, the interview process is quite nerve-racking but Bunnings need to do this to ensure they only hire the best and the most committed. In this instance, the recruitment process was handled quite swiftly (15 days) however it was mentioned that the usual process stretches over a month.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever planned something and had something come up in the middle of it that threw out your original plan? How was this handled?   Answer Question
  • If you were having a problem with a fellow colleague, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Team Member

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bunnings Warehouse in May 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online
Phone interview conducted - discussed reasons for applying for position and the next stage of group interview.
Group interview involved 16 participants with 3 staff from Bunnings. Had to give presentation on myself and why I wanted to work at Bunnings, then in groups of 4 provide ideas for selling products and then present, finally I was given a product and had to explain to the group how I would sell the item to a customer.

Interview Question – Please demonstrate how you would sell blinds to a customer.   Answer Question

Worked for Bunnings Warehouse? Contribute to the Community!