Bureau Van Dijk Electronic Publishing

Updated Apr 17, 2015

3.5

Business Development Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Bureau Van Dijk Electronic Publishing (Chicago, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

First a phone screening with HR in which you discuss your experience, education, and interest in the company. You also learn more about your role and are encouraged to ask questions.

Then was an in-person interview with the VP Americas (Midwest) in which is heavily emphasized on asking your own questions. I met other employees and was encouraged to ask them questions as well.

The next step was in-person interviews with BDMs. I had two BDMs with very different interviewing styles. One was similar to the VP in which you are encouraged to ask questions. The other was much like interviews at other companies in that you share your strengths, weaknesses, what you bring to the table, etc.

The following step was to create a 45 minute presentation containing a SWOT analysis, your explanation of fit, and a 30/60/90 plan for success. It's crucial that you keep in contact with HR, the VP, & BDMs. Ask questions, ask questions, ask questions! Before giving the presentation, make sure you practice! You present this in person to HR, the VP, & BDMs. After the presentation each person will ask you questions and open everything up for discussion. Again, they will encourage that you ask questions! So prepare, prepare, prepare!!

The last step was to do a quick phone interview with the head of Americas. Prepare at least 10 strong questions to ask!

The Interview Process took over 2 months (69 days). But I rate the overall experience as very positive. This is a really great company and part of why they're great I'm sure has to do with how particular they are in who they hire. Everyone I met at this office was genuinely helpful and encouraging. Definitely a learning experience and the most challenging interview process you could imagine. But that's what made it so great. If I could do it all over again I would, and I would definitely spend more time using the resources (the contacts) they give.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bureau Van Dijk Electronic Publishing (New York, NY).

Interview

Apparently their strategy is to try to break you down in the interview. Worst two interviews of my life - I wanted to walk out - but stuck through it and can now look back and laugh. My first interview the manager kept asking me who I was - not listed on my resume - but who was I to the core of my being. Apparently he didn't like my answers about who I am because he told me that he could "sell me better than I could sell myself". All in all the interview took about 45 minutes and aged me 2 years.

I was called back that night surprisingly to come in and interview with another manager the next day. Against my better judgement, I accepted. I spent nearly 2 hours listening to the manager explain how the company culture works. Allow me to break it down for you. They find quirks or imperfections not just in your professional life, but in your personal life as well, and ask you to "fix" them to their liking. He explained that one of his top 3 sales members did not work to alter a personality trait that they pointed out and fired him. He then offered the third and final interview process to me - which is the presentation on their company values. He explained that 80% of people fail at this venture. I immediately turned down the offer for the third interview process and never contacted the staffing agency again.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bureau Van Dijk Electronic Publishing (Chicago, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

I was shocked to see that all of the other reviews were true. I read the review between the first and second interviews and originally chalked it up to a bunch of disgruntled folks that don;t know how to interview.

I went through two interviews, the first with a newly hired manager and then again w/ the mgr, plus his boss in New York.

The Chicago manager seemed very nice, great rapport and easy to work with. This is the only reason I accepted a second interview.

When I got to the second interview, the senior manager from New York had an odd personality, and seemed like he could care less that I was there. Then I made their required presentation on why the company is so great. Not an easy thing to put together considering I couldn't find a single positive thing said about the company online. After my presentation, it was clear that they weren't too impressed. But, they asked my to ask my questions. I asked what kinds of backgrounds their recent hires have had, and what they think about my background. This was met with something along the lines of, "Really, I don't care what people have done. It is never the right experience. we have to retrain everyone to do out work." This made me want to say duh, of course you have to train new folks, every company does. I was asking if I could be a fit.

Interview Questions

It is the rudest interview process I ever experienced.

Run From This Opportunity Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Bureau Van Dijk Electronic Publishing (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Was treated very poorly on the first phone interview. Was shocked they moved me on to the 2nd interview. Went much better and it regained my interest. The 3rd was a presentation on their value proprosition. Did my best with very little direction. Obviously didn't feel i did want they were looking for but during the face to face it became an onslaught of attack questions questioning my mental toughness, sales process and assuming i was too set in my ways to sell their complicated product. they have a huge ego and i believe there would have been major personality conflicts if i were to accept the position and i get along with everyone. My recruiter was the only one that spoke about the positives about the company and after 3 interactions, not once did i hear any positives to get me excited about the opportunity

Interview Questions

I have never been treated so poorly in an interview process. I showed up and was attacked. At know point did they speak of the positives of the company. Do not waste your time

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bureau Van Dijk Electronic Publishing (New York, NY) in December 2011.

Interview

This was by far the most uncomfortable series of interviews I have experienced to date in my professional career. The format consisted of 1:1 meetings/group meetings/presentation. Throughout the entire process the management insisted that everything you've learned to date is wrong and that you will need to be re-trained to think. I get it, new firm, new sales philosophy...okay. At no point throughout the entire process do they provide a reason to encourage you to join the firm. Your previous experiences are attacked, your reasons for wanting to join are mute, and you leave the meeting thinking "what just happened?". In my opinion, I felt it was more a hiring strategy...who's strong enough to take it and still want to work there...but still, you're taking a huge chance that this may be the culture you're joining...At the end of the day, you want to like, to some degree, the people you will be working for, if that's not the case, why bother.....all in all, okay product...but given the observations made, and my assessment of the firm, I felt it was too risky.

Too risky

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bureau Van Dijk Electronic Publishing (San Francisco, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

A recruiter set me up for a phone interview with BvD. She gave me a decent amount of information on the company, though I wasn't convinced she truly knew what they did. I also did a decent amount of research on the company myself through several online sources including their website and their parent company's website.

When the phone interview time came, there was no call. I contacted the recruiter and asked what had happened. She apologized and said she would try to reschedule it for later that day. An hour and a half later I get a call from the company representative conducting the phone interview. There are sirens in the background and it is clear he was outside in the city. He said he needed to keep it short so we would only go for half the originally planned time (it was 4:45 and I got the distinct impression he wanted to wrap it up in the last 15 min of the work day). He only asked 3 questions and said he didn't have time to answer my questions about the company at the time. At the end of the interview, I asked if he had any concerns about my candidacy, and he said there wasn't a thing. I never heard back from him and later learned the company didn't want to go further with me.

Overall I was very disappointed by this interview. It was the most unprofessional phone interview I've experienced, taking place outside in a noisy city, and with no attempt to hide the feeling that the whole thing was a formality that needed to finish so this employee could get off work.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bureau Van Dijk Electronic Publishing.

Interview

Three interviews, fast

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bureau Van Dijk Electronic Publishing in December 2011.

Interview

The first interview was conducted over the phone. It was very short, and basically asked me about my understanding of consultative sales, and what I was looking for in my next career opportunity. I wasn't going to go into the face to face interview because the company's offerings didn't really exit me, but I took the interview anyway. The face to face interview didn't seem very scripted, and I got a good understanding of the company and their training process which sounded like a good opportunity, so I proceeded to the presentation. The guidelines that the recruiter gave for the presentation were very general, so it took me some time to build the presentation (about 8 hours). I think I did a good job with the presentation, but the offer was made to somebody else.

Interview Questions

• How do you think Bureau van Dijk products are used in a business?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bureau Van Dijk Electronic Publishing in September 2011.

Interview

I was also contacted by a recruiter for this position. The whole process was very unprofessional, and it seems like I'm not the only one that thinks so. First of all, the first interview was rescheduled just 2 hours before the interview was scheduled for. Then, when I had the interview the next day, the interviewed spent literally 3 minutes talking before everything went downhill. Instead of focusing on my resume and my professional background, he decided to focus on a petty thing I had mentioned. I said that one of the reasons I was considering BvD was because of the European culture in the office. He asked me ridiculous questions such as "does this mean you wouldn't want to work with an American company?" and focused on a series of questions revolving around that simple statement leaving me dumfounded, it was as if he were attacking and criticizing me, not interviewing me. It's a shame that they have such an unprofessional interview process because the company did indeed interest me.

Interview Questions

• Does this mean you wouldn't work for an American company?   1 Answer

Business Development Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bureau Van Dijk Electronic Publishing in June 2011.

Interview

The interview process lasted approximately two weeks. There wan an initial phone interview with one of the territory managers. Secondly, there was an in-person interview with three executives, including the vice president of the local branch. After the in-person interview, I was asked to give a presentation. Lastly, there was a 1:1 interview with the vice president to explain the job in more detail and discuss specifics of the actual offer. My advice: Take the interview process very seriously and be very professional. Dress the part and arrive 10-15 minutes early for each meeting. If you make it to the presentation phase of the interview process, choose your topic very carefully and request ample time to put it together and prepare yourself. Take each interview seriously, but don't be afraid to act somewhat informal. Remember, they are not trying to hire robots. They are looking for qualified applicants who will fit into a comfortable and light-hearted work environment.

Interview Questions

• From what you have researched, explain what Bureau van Dijk does   1 Answer
    • How has your previous work experience prepared you to become part of BVD?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was an opportunity to negotiate but I left that up to my recruitor and BVD.