Burger King

Updated Dec 8, 2014
Updated Dec 8, 2014

2.2

Crew Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Burger King in October 2014.

I filled out an application online and within 12 hours I received a phone call asking if I had 10-15 minutes to do a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 5-7 minutes and the questions were basic interview questions such as tell me about yourself, why Burger King, and they asked about my past work experience and if I ever had to follow a uniform policy. At the end of the phone interview, I was asked to come in a few days later for a second interview.
    This interview was 1 on 1 in the dining room and the interviewer asked about four or five pages of "what would you do if..." kind of questions and asked how I would get to work and if I would be okay with cleaning. This interview was the most laid back and it was really like talking to a friend. I usually get VERY nervous during interviews, but the interviewer made me feel very comfortable, even offering me a free drink while I waited for her to come out to the dining room.
    After the second interview, I was told that Burger King follows a three interview process. The manager from the second interview went in the back, and a new manager came out a few minutes later to do the third interview. He was pretty laid back, but he did ask the hardest questions. He only asked maybe 5 or 6 questions and at the end of the interview, he said that he would call me later that day with the results.
    About three hours after doing my second and third interviews, I received a call from the last manager that interviewed me. He said that I was chosen for the job and welcomed me to the team. He then took my shirt and pant size and told me when to come in for orientation.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of how we could increase sales here.
      What are three skills you feel like you need to improve on at home or work?

Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.

Sales, Profit, and Operations Coach Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Burger King in October 2014.

The interview process was very typical at first. Contacted by a recruiter and had a very typical interview (situational questions such as tell me about a time you had to change direction quickly, explain a typical day in your current role, what is your proudest achievement to date, why Burger King, why leaving current employer, etc.). Moved on to an interview with HR (more of the same questions). These were both phone interviews.

The third virtual interview is where it got weird, and I realized the manager who interviewed me, the recruiter, and HR were not on the same page. I had great interviews with the recruiter and HR which were very positive, but the manager and I had the complete opposite experience. I realized from the moment I started speaking that I was counted out. While I have extensive management experience, it is in retail, and I do not have a restaurant background. He made his point very clear that he wanted someone with restaurant management experience from the start. He continually reiterated the point that I have not worked in a restaurant and therefore, I would require more training. He asked me maybe three questions which I answered well (similar answers I used with HR which was a great interview!) and only half paid attention to my answers appearing totally disinterested from the start. I left the interview feeling very disrespected since he didn't really pay attention to me and like my time had been wasted since I clearly was not going to be able to meet the criteria he was looking for based on my work experience. I am not sure why HR put me through to another interview if this is the case or even why I was contacted in the first place. Still think it would be a good job and a good place to work, but if you don't have restaurant experience, they may count you out before you even interview.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were very challenging. Overall typical interview questions. Be prepared to speak to why Burger King, why you are leaving your current job, and what you feel you can bring to the table.   Answer Question

Management Trainee Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Burger King in October 2014.

Dropped resume on college recruiting site
    1st round was a skype like interview (did not work so ended up being phone) and was straight behavioral like what is a weakness, when did the rules changes and you had to adapt, etc
    2nd round was emailed to set up a 2nd skypeish interview (again did not work so ended up being phone) and was the next day and was all analytical brainteasers
    3rd round fly down to headquarters in Miami for superday of corporate tour and interviews ending with presentation to executives

Interview Questions
    • Brain Teasers:
      127 teams in a round robin how many games and rounds are played to get to one winner?
      A frog is at the bottom of a 30 meter well. Each day he summons enough energy for one 3 meter leap up the well. Exhausted, he then hangs there for the rest of the day. At night, while he is asleep, he slips 2 meters backwards. How many days does it take him to escape from the well?
      Bag of 9 balls and one weighs more than the others, you get 2 weigh ins on a scale. How do you go about determining which one weighs more than the others?

Answer Question

I had a better offer on the table

Sales, Profit, and Operations Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burger King in October 2014.

I was first contacted by the sr. recruiter at BKC regarding the position for my area. I replied and a few days later she called, explained the position and we had a 25-30 minute interview after which she moved me onto a 2nd interview with the HR Manager the following week. The second interview was 23 mintues, again over the phone, with very easy questions and I was moved onto the third and final interview. However, before having the 3rd interview the Sr. Recruiter called me to let me know that this position required someone who was bilingual in Spanish. This information would have been nice to know before I spent two weeks preparing for the interviews and pausing my job search. The questions were easy but there seems to be a bit of a communication error between the various hiring managers.

Interview Questions
    • describe a time who were working on a project and the direction was changed midway. Describe a time you coached an employee who was failing. Describe a time you taught an employee. What do you think we could do to improve? (after asking when last time visited a BK) Why do you want to work for BK? Describe your experience with KPI metrics   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Applied via uni. Two virtual interviews: one cultural, one analytical. Were pretty easy. Flown down to Miami. Morning was group business game to separate out the leaders and the followers separate as well as see group skills. Then five speed interviews, lunch, and then two 30 min in depth interviews. Then you have a tour during,which they figure out who,they are going to cut before the true final round. They make the cuts and then you present your one minute why me why BK pitch to a couple csuite level evps.

LDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Burger King in October 2014.

I loved all three stages of the interview process. Especially the super day in Miami. Mix of behavioral and case questions, and a lot about why Burger King. Everybody at BK genuinely wants to get to know you and they want to make sure the company is right fit for YOU.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a million dollars, where would you invest it in?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Burger King in October 2014.

You first are contacted by a recruiter and they schedule you for a 30 minute behavioral interview. It's all pretty straight forward. Definitely have an answer for the question why do you wanna work at Burger King?

Then you have a 30 minute analytical interview. All the questions I listed below are what I was asked. It wasn't too bad.

Then, if you are invited, you get flown out to their HQ in Miami. Apparently, they have about 7 "super days". Prior to arriving, they had us write a 1 minute speech about why they should hire you and why burger king. The night before you have a social outing where you just meet some of the full time employees and other candidates.

Here is the SCHEDULE for the super day:

8am-8:45am: talk about the day and learn about the company in a conference room with some of their employees. They're were about 30 of us in total. There were a lot of students from great schools including Cornell, Princeton, Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan, Duke, U of Chicago, Yale.

9am-11am: business game. We were divided up into 6 teams and put into teams (Asia, Africa, N. America, S. America, Europe, Western Europe). We then had to "grow" the BK business and decide on things such as raising or decreasing the the price, increasing/decreasing the # of workers, and increasing/decreasing advertising/marketing. While you work in teams to figure out, two BK workers are there to evaluate you and see how your work in teams, etc.

11:10am-12pm you have 5 speed interviews that are 10 minutes each with random BK employees. They are mostly behavioral.

12-1pm is lunch.

1-1:45pm is where you have an in depth interview of 30 minutes and then a 15 minute case interview with a different employee. The case question was "We are considering introducing a Southwest Chicken item on the value menu. How would you go about seeing if we should do this. I said stuff like a focus group in the beginning, then push it out to the corporate stores and compare with other stores in the region. Also do a survey, etc. I had never done a case before and it wasn't that bad.

At 2pm they give you a tour of the office which is cool. We walked right by the CEO.

At 2:30, the have the "Mid Interview Qualifier". Based on your performance through the day, they decide to either have you move on to the "EVP Crossfire" or not. If not, you are sent back to the airport in a shuttle bus from their HQ. The EVP Crossfire is where you give your 1 minute speech and the Executives also ask you some questions. I didn't make it to this part of the day.

Interview Questions
    • How do you fit a live giraffe in a cooking pan?
      What is 57 * 57?
      You have unlimited water. You have a 3 gallon jug and a 5 gallon jug. How do you measure out 4 gallons of water?
      List 10 uses for a pen that do not include writing or drawing.
      How many tennis balls can you fit in your room?

Leadership Development Program Interview

I had a video interview. Basic behavioral interview--be prepared for the "tricky" questions like
    1. Tell me about a time when you failed.
    2. What's your greatest weakness?
    Also, be prepared for them to ask you what business you would invest in if you had an unlimited amount of money.

Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McMinnville, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McMinnville, OR

I applied online – interviewed at Burger King.

I applied for the job and was called back two days later for an interview the very next day. The manager was very nice, smiled lots. I was hired on spot.

No negotiation.

Operations Coach Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burger King.

The first communication happen rather quickly after applying and the process moved just as fast. The HR person ("dream killer", as she is referred by HQ) called to see if I was still interested in the position and she went on describing the position and the requirements along with some disclosures. A first interview was set and it was done over a video conference followed by an immediate called back from the HR lady that I would be moving on to the next interview. That second interview had to be rescheduled twice as they seemed to have forgotten about letting the other person know about the interview. Once that interview was done I got another called from the same HR person to discuss final numbers (they are not big on negotiation) and to set up the first day.
    The interview process is not difficult at all. They will ask you a number of questions but they are not complicated or anything unusual. Know ahead of time why you are leaving your current place, why BK, what are your expectations, ask for their expectations, and do not be afraid to ask tough questions as you will most likely see them reaching for the stars.

Interview Questions
    • There were no really difficult questions, just make sure you listen to the entire question before you answer.   Answer Question