Burlington Coat Factory

Burlington Coat Factory Assistant Buyer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 10, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Burlington Coat Factory (Burlington, NJ) in June 2010.

Interview

Had one interview with the buyer and GMM. Recieved a call promptly.

Negotiation

No negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Burlington Coat Factory

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Burlington Coat Factory (Burlington, NJ) in December 2009.

Interview

Called by HR then went in for face to face with head of planning, 2 buyers and 2 DM's. Received offer 2 days later.

Negotiation

No negotiation was accepted

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Burlington Coat Factory.

Interview

The recruiter was very persistent; she felt she would be able to secure me a position at the company. However after going on more than several interviews with different buyers from various departments I was told that I was overqualified for all of the Assistant Buyer positions that I interviewed for and underqualified for the Buyer positions. They informed me that they promote within the company. I would have liked to have known this information early on in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a classification that you managed that was struggling. How did you turn around the business in this classification?   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Burlington Coat Factory in November 2014.

Interview

Submitted my resume through a current employee, who passed it on to a recruiter. The recruiter contacted me through email to set up a phone interview. After the phone interview I was then asked to attend their half day "meet and greet" round of interviews with an HR person and department buyers, as well as had the opportunity to shadow a current assistant buyer to see what a typical day is like. The day also included an overview of the company and a mock buy to simulate what their buying process is like. Very interesting way to structure an interview to not only let superiors get to know candidates but it also let candidates see if the company/job woud be a fit for them as well.

Interview Questions

• Asked if I had recently shopped any of the burlington stores as well as their competitors, and what burlington did well vs. the competition and vice versa   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Burlington Coat Factory.

Interview

The interview was a half day (from 9-12:30). You were first brought into a room with all applicants and sat at tables with the people you would later interview with. It was nice to meet them first unofficially as you got an overview of the company. Then you were brought to each of their offices for four 25 minute interviews. They didn't seem as long as I thought they would and they were very conversational interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Burlington Coat Factory (Burlington, NJ) in March 2013.

Interview

The first round interview was after my school career fair with the HR director and an assistant buyer..typical interview asking questions about previous experiences, working in a group setting, why I chose my major, what interested me about off price retailing/burlington in general, etc. etc. The HR Director and assistant buyer were extremely nice and made the interview seem like it was just a normal conversation. I was notified the following day inviting me to the headquarters for a second round of interviews with a few DMM's. That was the following week. All of the DMM's were nice, some were more personal than others, but again, they were easygoing. They just wanted to see who you really are. I was told I would get an answer by the end of the week. It was Friday and I had not heard anything, so I emailed the HR director who invited me to interview and she said they would need the next week to make final decisions. I have still not received any offer or rejection.

Interview Questions

• Why Burlington? Explain your internship experience? Asked about competitors   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Burlington Coat Factory.

Interview

The interview and hiring process was very quick and easy. I spoke with two people they asked me a few questions regarding the position I was interviewing for. It was painless and easy!