Burlington Coat Factory

Getting the Interview

123 candidate interviews

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Burlington Coat Factory.

Interview Details – Was contacted by an extremely friendly & helpful recruiter. We exchanged several emails and then spoke on the phone. She wanted me to speak with the VP of stores and we set up a date/time to do so. Interview with VP seemed like we weren't having the same conversation. I was asked a lot of people questions and questions about understanding the business model. It felt like I was not being neither seriously considered or that they were even listening to my answers. It all felt rather unprofessional.

Interview Question – I expected some discussion of business metrics and discussion of relevant experience. The entire line of questioning was unexpected.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Harwood Heights, Cook, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Burlington Coat Factory in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online got a phone call a few days later. I went in for an interview. i was interviewed by two managers. Most of the questions were tell me about a time when... kind of questions and how did u handle it. They asked so many questions i cant remember them all. I was interviewed for like 20 mins and i waited to get interviewed like 15 mins.

Interview Question – Tell us about yourself
Tell me about a time when you made a mistake and how did you handle it.
What is customer service
  Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Sales Associate/Cashier
Albany, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Burlington Coat Factory in November 2012.

Interview Details – I filled out the application and received a phone call for an interview a few days later. I went to the interview - typical interview questions with one that threw me off. Sadly, I can't remember what it was. Anyways: The manager was very nice and said I would receive a phone call after a week - I never did, but I'm not surprised because Home Depot did the same thing to me.

Interview Question – I can't remember; maybe it was something about independence?   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Assistant Buyer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Burlington Coat Factory.

Interview Details – The recruiter was very persistent; she felt she would be able to secure me a position at the company. However after going on more than several interviews with different buyers from various departments I was told that I was overqualified for all of the Assistant Buyer positions that I interviewed for and underqualified for the Buyer positions. They informed me that they promote within the company. I would have liked to have known this information early on in the interview process.

Interview Question – Tell me about a classification that you managed that was struggling. How did you turn around the business in this classification?   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Assistant Buyer
Burlington, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Burlington Coat Factory in March 2013.

Interview Details – The first round interview was after my school career fair with the HR director and an assistant buyer..typical interview asking questions about previous experiences, working in a group setting, why I chose my major, what interested me about off price retailing/burlington in general, etc. etc. The HR Director and assistant buyer were extremely nice and made the interview seem like it was just a normal conversation. I was notified the following day inviting me to the headquarters for a second round of interviews with a few DMM's. That was the following week. All of the DMM's were nice, some were more personal than others, but again, they were easygoing. They just wanted to see who you really are. I was told I would get an answer by the end of the week. It was Friday and I had not heard anything, so I emailed the HR director who invited me to interview and she said they would need the next week to make final decisions. I have still not received any offer or rejection.

Interview Question – Why Burlington? Explain your internship experience? Asked about competitors   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager-Operations Interview

Southaven, MS

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Burlington Coat Factory in October 2012.

Interview Details – Was contacted by their field recruiter which in turn forwarded my information to the Regional HR Manager. Set Interview date with the entire Regional Team ( Regional-HR-Merchandising-Operations-Vice President ). Overall was great or so I thought. 1 week later I was contacted by the RHRM to meet the Store Manager and Regional Ops Mgr. Went in, walked the location, gave DM notes/pointers. By the end of the interview I literally was given the job..with multiple hints. Even was told that HR "should have my offer package ready". Then didn't hear back from them at all. Called and did a follow up....no call back.

Interview Question – No unexpected Question was given.   Answer Question

Merchandise Team Associate Interview

Merchandise Team Associate
Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Burlington Coat Factory in August 2013.

Interview Details – Simple. He asked basic questions - most, directed to my opinion or personal experience and a few about my work background.

Interview Question – Most unexpected- it was somewhere along the lines of "Name a time, you went above and beyond to do something for some one else.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Burlington Coat Factory in September 2011.

Interview Details – The first process was to fill out an application online.A few days later a supervisor called and said that they wanted me to come in for an interview ,after asking me a few questions about my work experience,I went to the interview and a few questions were asked like what are the things i need to work on? and why should i be hired by there company?.After the interview they stated i didnt have enough experience in managing alot of people ,but said they would submit my application to another department such as head cashier.
     In about three weeks some one called me about a second interview because a dept manager wanted to meet me.
i went straight into a inteview office and was asked the same questions from the first interview.While i was answering the questions the interviewer put asterisks near the questions i feel that he liked the answer.
After the interview was over the interviewer went out to speak to the head recuruiter and came back out to me and said someone will be contacting me in 7-10 days. so i think the interview went well .Wish me luck :)

Interview Question – what do you need work on ?   Answer Question

Markdown Associate Interview

Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Burlington Coat Factory.

Interview Details – I got a call the day before orientation started where the store manager invited me to orientation. (Luckily I was off from my current job).

Interview Question – Describe a problem you recently solved.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much negotiation since it is a retail job. The store manager at the time (now long since gone) was very up front and honest about the store's problems and what she hoped I could help her do. I really appreciated that. She talked about advancement opportunities since the pay wasn't much to start out.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Marietta, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at Burlington Coat Factory in December 2008.

Interview Details – All I did was apply.. I was then called in for an interview. I was offered the job on the spot! I was 16 and it paid $8 an hour and the pay was weekly. I accepted! Great experience I had already had retail experience (working at excerd). The job wasn't hard all I was asked was my availability

Interview Question – What is your availability   Answer Question