Burns & McDonnell

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Electrical Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in December 2013.

Interview Details – I received a phone call to set up a phone interview with a HR representative. This phone interview was nothing to strenuous. Basically expect the typical HR questions that allow them to gauge your interests and where you would like to be within the company. Following this interview, I was contacted by a group with a location that they believed fit me the best. An on-site interview was scheduled. This interview wasn't so typical. First, you go out to lunch with a couple of younger guys to essentially break the ice. Following this, you give a presentation on yourself and how your past experiences apply to the position. Lastly, you are asked several questions in regards to your resume - again, nothing too strenuous. Overall an easy interview process if you can get over giving a presentation.

Interview Question – There weren't any really difficult questions.   Answer Question

Assistant Electrical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2013.

Interview Details – First interview was on campus and the recruiter asked a list of HR type questions. Second interview was at Burns & McDonnell with the VP for the division. I gave a 10 minute presentation to him and then we precede to talk about the usual question. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What kind of work do you want to do here? etc. They didn't ask anything real technical.

Interview Question – How do you feel about managment?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I choose to take a job with another smaller firm. I felt that with the smaller firm you really get to know everyone and it is a little more relaxed. On a side note after I declined, the HR representative sent me a rather rude and unprofessional email. I did wait to inform them till the last day on their offer, however this is no excuse. I would not recommend working here.

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through other source and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in September 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process was fast! Applied in the morning and received a call that afternoon. Then had phone interview the next week then interview a week and a half after that. I had to give a presentation about me which was a nice structured interview that you controlled. Then sat down with hiring manager and had an easy conversation about the company. Then went to lunch with some engineers my age and that was about it.

Interview Question – They asked several questions after the presentation and during. I am not sure which I would consider difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't really negotiate as it is an entry level position. Solid offer though just make sure you factor in the benefits of bonuses and the ESOP plan.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chicago, IL

I applied online and interviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Interview Details – The company took only a couple days to reach out to me and schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview, they wanted to interview me in person at their Chicago office about two weeks later. After the on-site interview, they extended an offer within days--all in all, the whole hiring process was very fast, only about 3-4 weeks.

Phone Interview: Very easy. It's with HR, and so it's very much an opportunity to simply introduce yourself, explain your background, and give them an idea if you're a potential employee. Don't expect anything technical, the HR just talks about the company.

On-site Interview: Laid back, conversational. A lot of attention is placed on your 20 minute self presentation. If you do a good job at explaining your coursework, your work experience, and your values, then there should be plenty to talk about. After your presentation, you get the chance to sit and talk with the individual teams (in my case, one interview with the Generation group and one with the Transmission/Distribution group). Don't be surprised when they ask you conversational questions like what your hobbies are, or whether or not you'll live in downtown. On the technical side, they don't expect anyone to be technically prepared for their kind of work since it's very non-theoretical, so don't expect any technical "quiz" questions.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time when you had to exhibit patience/humility when dealing with someone.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary was non-negotiable.

Very Easy Interview

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in March 2013.

Interview Details – They flied me out to the Kansas City, MO office (the HQ). You give a presentation about yourself to the interviewers as well, so be prepared for that. Other than that, they didn't ask any technical questions, only about what was on my resume. They took me out to lunch with a VP and a couple younger employees, however, the VP was very pushy and monopolized the entire lunch. After lunch, that was it. All in all, only about 3 hours long.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult at all, no technical questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The formal attire and attitude of the company presented was a major distaste of mine. Suit every day while working at a computer wasn't attractive to me. Also they blatantly told me not to negotiate my offer if I received one, which was extremely off-putting. I believe this is a side-effect of the employee owned company, since more money for me means less money for them.

They really pushed the employee owned aspect of it, to the point of being excessive. The salary was also below average, and combined with the reasons above, I declined the offer.

Assistant Electrical Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in February 2011.

Interview Details – Burns & McDonnell, headquartered in Kansas City, Mo., is a full-service engineering, architecture, construction, environmental and consulting solutions firm. Our multidisciplined staff of more than 3,000 employee-owners includes engineers, architects, construction experts, planners, estimators, economists, technicians and scientists, representing virtually all design disciplines. We plan, design, permit, construct and manage facilities all over the world, with one mission in mind:

Interview Question – Where I want to work   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Burns & McDonnell

Worked for Burns & McDonnell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Burns & McDonnell Assistant Electrical Engineer interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Burns & McDonnell employees and interview candidates.