Burns & McDonnell

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.6

Assistant Civil Engineer Interview

I submitted a resume through the company's online system. I also had a professor send my resume to someone within the company (though not in the division I was hired into). Within a week or two of submitting my resume, I had a phone interview. A week or two after the phone interview I had an on-site interview. The on-site interview was a short presentation about myself, followed by Q&A. After this interview, I was offered a position the next day. I was treated very well through the whole process.

Interview Questions
    • How have you handled conflict in a team situation? Though the question isn't unexpected, it can be hard to answer.   Answer Question

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

I was contacted to do a video interview with Burns & McDonnell. There were five questions. After answering each question, I had the chance to watch my answer and rerecord the answer if I wanted. The questions were basic and asking about previous experiment and some behavioral questions. I did not receive an offer and I was told they are trying to match a position to my skills.

Assistant Environmental Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Applied to their website and received a recruiter call the next day. Scheduled a telephone interview that same week with the hiring managers. Was asked about mostly experience in resume. Other questions were what part of wwtp I liked to work on. Was asked to come to the office for an in person interview two weeks later. In person interview was easy, talked about the business groups and type of work available. Was expecting to do a presentation about myself, but that never came up, which was fine with me. Do expect NOT to get reimbursed for travel, this was the first company of many that didn't reimburse my expenses, (very unprofessional in my opinion), this from the same company that offers a low base pay and a "bonus" which is not guaranteed. Also, stock bonus is based on base pay. bonus is taxed at your top tax rate, so you only actually get about 60% of it.

Experience was positive, but look at the numbers, and see if they add up to what you feel comfortable with.

Interview Questions

Base pay was low. Make sure to ask for your maximum when they ask what you are looking to get paid. Bonus is promised, but not guaranteed. Bonus taxed at top marginal rate, so you only keep about 60% of it. Discretionary contribution is based on base pay, so you make sure you ask for something you feel comfortable with.

Make sure to negotiate, if not on base pay increase, ask for a sign up bonus, you might just get it. If they really value you, they'll give it you.

Assistant Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2014.

I was contacted directly by HR (the girl was super nice and professional) who invited me to the second interview at the Houston office since I had the on-campus interview with Burns & McDonnell a year ago for an internship position. I was asked to prepare a presentation about myself outlining things like my background, prior internships, and goals for the interview.

I was flown out the night before the interview, and the next morning, I met with two managers of the group I interviewed for, and after a brief intro, I did the presentation. After that, the interview was really lax. The managers went over the job, what they look for and benefits. I then went to lunch with three engineers around my age. When we got back to the office, they showed me around, which essentially was the end of the interview.

The same woman who had contacted me for the interview called me the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions
    I was told not to negotiate.

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2014.

I submitted my resume through online, after a day I got video interview which was pre-recorded. They asked pretty easy behavior questions. I had to record my answer, and I could re-answer 1 time for each question.

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2014.

I interviewed initially with Burns and Mac on my university campus. This interview was very casual, and the questions were typical behavioral questions. I was then asked to come to Kansas City and interview at their HQ. I was told the interview would involve a presentation and I was given guidelines on what to include. This interview was fairly easy as well; I presented to five hiring managers, and then interviewed individually with each of them. For the most part the individual interviews were the hiring manager trying to recruit me to their group. None of them asked very many questions, and they mostly wanted to see if I had any questions. I was contacted with an offer a week later.

Civil Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Met college recruiter at my school during a career fair and signed up for a walk-in informal interview. Recruiter was very knowledgable about the internship opportunities available and he took many notes about my interests. Followed up with a phone interview about 10 days later. Then had another phone interview with the engineers I would be potential working with. Then about two weeks later received a verbal and written offer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were about my previous work experience, nothing very technical since it was an internship position I was seeking.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in September 2014.

Had a phone interview first with a recruiter and an on-site interview schedule a few days after. The on-site interview was one of the easiest I've ever had. You first give a presentation to a group of division managers and talk about yourself and your experiences. Then you sit down one on one with each manager for about 45 minutes each and further discuss how you could fit in to their respective division. Managers are very easy to talk to.

Interview Questions
    Little to no room for negotiation, at least for entry-level positions.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in September 2014.

Attended Career Fair on campus. In the following two days I was sent an email about scheduling an on campus interview. The communication was completely via email. The interview took place three weeks later on campus.

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in September 2014.

Got first interview a couple weeks after job fair at my school. Interview took about 30 minutes and was with just one HR rep. She just asked mostly behavioral questions. What motivates me, why I chose Burns and Mac. A difficult situation I have had experience with and how it was handled. and just talked about other job experiences. Pretty relaxed interview as my interviewer was very friendly as she typed away and recorded all my answers. Overall, great experience.