Burns & McDonnell

Getting the Interview

35 candidate interviews

Division Director Interview

Miami, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in May 2008.

Interview Details – Burns and Mac flew me Kansas City to meet with all the CEEO and directors.

Interview Question – Not many difficult questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They wanted me to sign a noncompete..

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in March 2012.

Interview Details – Met with a recruiter at the university job fair. Had an interview at campus about 2 weeks later. I was called in for an onsite interview about a week or two later. Flew me out the day before, put me up in a hotel. Had to put together a presentation of myself. Interviewed/presented in front of 3 engineering managers. Had a lunch with some engineers. Met with the local HR person.

Interview Question – Describe your knowledge of power distribution systems.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Lack of interest in the job compared to another offer

Intern Interview

Lincoln, NE

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2013.

Interview Details – On campus interview. Interviewers are very enthusiastic and say nothing but positive things during the interview. They ask about leadership and experience.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, but you've got to show them some experience and answer the typical gamut of interview questions competently.   Answer Question

Environmental Scientist/Geologist Interview

Downers Grove, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in November 2013.

Interview Details – Three round interview, beginning with a very formulaic and predictable interview with a Human Resources representative in Kansas City (headquarters). Second was a phone interview with the project team, all mid to upper-level professionals in my field. Questions were mostly regarding my qualifications, knowledge of relevant subject matter, and my expectations for the position. Third was an in-person interview with four separate groups of people, including a mixed-level group of engineers who clearly were at a loss for productive questions and upper level management. I did not meet any members of the project team from my second interview, and the process seemed disorganized.

Interview Question – What are your expectations for the environmental consulting industry in general? What do entry level people do?   View Answer

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2012.

Interview Details – I met them at a career fair and they were pretty easy to talk to. The guy I spoke with graduated from my university, which explained why he was there. I only spoke with him for a few minutes. The line to talk to them was really long, so everyone felt rushed and didn't get much chance to present themselves. They have a high reputation as an engineering firm, which is obviously why the line was so long, but they only choose a certain amount from those at the fair to interview. The interview itself went really well and the interviewer was really easy to talk to. He asked good questions that set you up to give good answers. He even asked me if I had any offers from other companies. I had two pending offers, one of which had a deadline in a week and a half. He promised me he would get back with me before then. But, he missed the offer deadline, and called me back after two weeks and asked if I wanted to do another interview with a manager. I said no, as I was not impressed with their failure to keep their promise, and the offer I got from the other company was a much better offer. I ended up not selecting them, but I have heard that everyone who interns there loves it. It seems to be an excellent company.

Interview Question – There were some challenging questions, but they were aimed to give you a chance to answer them very well. I didn't feel that any of the questions were difficult to answer and was able to give a solid response to each question.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – They didn't get back with me in time to make the offer as I had an offer from another company. They knew I had a pending offer, but didn't make the effort to get back with me in time as they promised. In the end, the other offer I chose ended up being a much better offer.

Project Accountant Interview

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in April 2013.

Interview Details – 2 interviews. First with manager, second with VP of Accounting.
For a senior level job it's more like a conversation about experience and I tried to relate the requirements for the position with my experience and knowledge. Smooth, investigative, very descriptive about the company and about the job. They are known for hiring top performers out of Big CPA firms for their accounting department.

Reason for Declining – Company has a compensation structure that was not motivating for me.

Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2010.

Interview Details – The recruiters held an information session the day before holding mass interviews. The interview was not difficult. Behavioral and experience questions, including "describe a time when you went above and beyond what you were asked," "describe a time you had to work with someone difficult. How did you handle it and what is your relationship with that person like now?" and "why are you the best candidate for this position?"

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

Assistant Electrical Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in February 2011.

Interview Details – Burns & McDonnell, headquartered in Kansas City, Mo., is a full-service engineering, architecture, construction, environmental and consulting solutions firm. Our multidisciplined staff of more than 3,000 employee-owners includes engineers, architects, construction experts, planners, estimators, economists, technicians and scientists, representing virtually all design disciplines. We plan, design, permit, construct and manage facilities all over the world, with one mission in mind:

Interview Question – Where I want to work   Answer Question

Construction Intern Interview

Denver, CO

The process took a day - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in December 2010.

Interview Details – I submitted a intern request on there website. I got a call a month later for a phone interview and we scheduled a time. Sure enough right at 1pm I got a phone call. Some of the questions. When did you have to lead? What is your GPA? What course work have you enjoyed the most? Same old questions. Waiting to setup with a face to face interview.

Interview Questions

Geologist Interview

Kansas City, MO

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in May 2011.

Interview Details – HR first contacted me by phone to alert me of their interest, and my availabilty, and to expect a call back in a few days to set up an interview. As an out of state candidate they put me up in a nice hotel the night before and reimbursed me for mileage on my personal car at the GAO rate.
The interview consisted of a 2:1 interview with department heads followed my a 2:1 with project managers, followed by a 1:1 with HR. I was then invited to lunch with two staff geologists.
FYI Burns & Mac does have a dress code where ties are mandatory. However, between Memorial Day & Labor Day ties are optional. The senior staff was pleasant to converse with. Interview process was casual without any odd questions. Talking points were about my experience, their projects and what was expected from the successful candidate.
The staff geologists had nothing bad to say, although neither had ever worked for another firm. Only red flag was from possible poor project management where not all hours worked on a project could be used due to budget constraints.
Employee owned, ESOP program, good bonuses. They did tell me that their salaries are considered low, but they feel that their bonuses and ESOP make up for that.

Interview Question – Tell us about yourself.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Burns & McDonnell

Worked for Burns & McDonnell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Burns & McDonnell interview questions and advice. All 35 interview reviews posted anonymously by Burns & McDonnell employees and interview candidates.