Burns & McDonnell Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

2.7

Division Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Miami, FL) in May 2008.

Interview

Burns and Mac flew me Kansas City to meet with all the CEEO and directors.

Interview Questions

They wanted me to sign a noncompete..

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Kansas City, MO) in August 2013.

Interview

101 interview, on-site visit with other prospective new employees for the interview day, followed by PPTpresentation to managers and 101 interviews with each one of them...you must really impress them!!!

Civil/Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Houston, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Two phone interviews followed by an all-expense paid for on-site interview. I was expected to have a 10 minute presentation ready for the on-site interview. After the on-site interview an offer was to be made approximately 1-2 weeks later.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in June 2015.

Interview

I received a "Congrats!" email saying that I was going to get to participate in their webcam interview. I did that, and the entire time my internet connection was miserable. You get to answer a question and then review your answer before you go to the next question. When I viewed my answers they were completely pixelated and my audio was completely uninterpretable. As each question passed, I got more and more disheartened that my interview would just turnout extremely horrid. I emailed the support team after I submitted the interview and they told me that they fixed my submission so it makes sense. They also said that I would not need to have ask for a retry. I emailed my recruiter to explain what happen and ask for an opportunity to retry and she never responded. It's been over two weeks and I haven't received a rejection email or any response at all. Very disappointing for me. I would have loved to have a fair shot for the position.

Structural Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Omaha, NE) in February 2015.

Interview

I was only given 2 days advanced notice about the interview which was the only negative part of the experience. I went to an on campus interview and really enjoyed the person from HR who interviewed me. It lasted 20-30 minutes and I left with a smile on my face feeling like I was seriously being considered and not that I had just wasted my time. I didn't get the position but was sent a personalized e-mail letting me know that they will keep my information on record and that I was the type of person they do want to hire in the future. This left a great impression on me about how much this company does care.

Staff Transmission Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by 3rd party recruiter. I had a 40 minute phone interview with the Area Manager, to discuss my experience and skills. After that I was invited to the Houston office, to meet with some of the senior staff. I was given an offer a week after that.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They were very strict on the base salary, and PTO.

Construction Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in February 2015.

Interview

Two interviews: October: In-person 30 minute interview on campus following our career fair - this was fairly general and the interviewer was not part of the group that I wanted to intern with. February: a 30+ minute phone interview with the CDB office manager and my internship mentor that was specific for the location and type of internship that I wanted

Interview Questions

• What sets you apart from other applicants? - and they really wanted to know, it wasn't just a question on their list.   Answer Question

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Houston, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

Contacted the University recruiter to see if a position was open. Got a phone interview with him the following week and then a 3 way call with two managers the next day. They asked me about school, about the classes I took and some industry questions. A week later I did a panel interview with 6 managers where I presented about myself and answered technical questions about power. Got a call I the next day that I had the job.

Interview Questions

• I told them from the get go that I had no experience in power yet they kept asking me power questions.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2014.

Interview

My interview process was different than most, since Burns & McDonnell does not recruit directly at my university. I applied online, and had the names of a few reps in HR who set me up with the interview. My interview was more of a conversation, and the process from application to internship offer took approximately 2 weeks.

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Kansas City, MO) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied and was contacted the following day. They were very friendly and flexible with scheduling. I had a phone interview then set up an on site interview for the following week. The actual interview was long. It took nearly 4 hours but they took me to lunch. There were 3 different interviews with different people typically 3 or 4 each time. They each took turns asking questions. It was less formal and more of a conversation. Prepare for the questions on the most frequently asked lists online. They ask most of them! If you prepare to sell yourself by researching the company and rehearsing answers to those common questions. You will do fine.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer