Burns & McDonnell

2.6

Division Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in May 2008.

Burns and Mac flew me Kansas City to meet with all the CEEO and directors.

Interview Questions

They wanted me to sign a noncompete..

Civil/Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in March 2014.

Two phone interviews followed by an all-expense paid for on-site interview. I was expected to have a 10 minute presentation ready for the on-site interview. After the on-site interview an offer was to be made approximately 1-2 weeks later.

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in August 2013.

101 interview, on-site visit with other prospective new employees for the interview day, followed by PPTpresentation to managers and 101 interviews with each one of them...you must really impress them!!!

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2014.

I interviewed initially with Burns and Mac on my university campus. This interview was very casual, and the questions were typical behavioral questions. I was then asked to come to Kansas City and interview at their HQ. I was told the interview would involve a presentation and I was given guidelines on what to include. This interview was fairly easy as well; I presented to five hiring managers, and then interviewed individually with each of them. For the most part the individual interviews were the hiring manager trying to recruit me to their group. None of them asked very many questions, and they mostly wanted to see if I had any questions. I was contacted with an offer a week later.

Engineering Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freehold, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freehold, NJ

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in March 2012.

Was contacted and set up a phone interview two weeks from that date. Had a one on one phone interview about why I was qualified for this position, and my personal interests.

Interview Questions
    • What public service projects have you participated in?   Answer Question

Assistant Civil Engineer Interview

I submitted a resume through the company's online system. I also had a professor send my resume to someone within the company (though not in the division I was hired into). Within a week or two of submitting my resume, I had a phone interview. A week or two after the phone interview I had an on-site interview. The on-site interview was a short presentation about myself, followed by Q&A. After this interview, I was offered a position the next day. I was treated very well through the whole process.

Interview Questions
    • How have you handled conflict in a team situation? Though the question isn't unexpected, it can be hard to answer.   Answer Question

Assistant Civil Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in April 2012.

HR interview over phone. Then contacted to schedule a 1on1 interview. Then a group/panel interview at HQ in KC. A day later HR called with offer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Salary was above average and this was my first job so no previous salary to base negotiations on.

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in March 2012.

Met with a recruiter at the university job fair. Had an interview at campus about 2 weeks later. I was called in for an onsite interview about a week or two later. Flew me out the day before, put me up in a hotel. Had to put together a presentation of myself. Interviewed/presented in front of 3 engineering managers. Had a lunch with some engineers. Met with the local HR person.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your knowledge of power distribution systems.   View Answer

Lack of interest in the job compared to another offer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Impossible on-line application. System crash.

Tough and no compromise.
    Requested detailed work plan and then threw out the window.

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2012.

I met them at a career fair and they were pretty easy to talk to. The guy I spoke with graduated from my university, which explained why he was there. I only spoke with him for a few minutes. The line to talk to them was really long, so everyone felt rushed and didn't get much chance to present themselves. They have a high reputation as an engineering firm, which is obviously why the line was so long, but they only choose a certain amount from those at the fair to interview. The interview itself went really well and the interviewer was really easy to talk to. He asked good questions that set you up to give good answers. He even asked me if I had any offers from other companies. I had two pending offers, one of which had a deadline in a week and a half. He promised me he would get back with me before then. But, he missed the offer deadline, and called me back after two weeks and asked if I wanted to do another interview with a manager. I said no, as I was not impressed with their failure to keep their promise, and the offer I got from the other company was a much better offer. I ended up not selecting them, but I have heard that everyone who interns there loves it. It seems to be an excellent company.

Interview Questions
    • There were some challenging questions, but they were aimed to give you a chance to answer them very well. I didn't feel that any of the questions were difficult to answer and was able to give a solid response to each question.   View Answer

They didn't get back with me in time to make the offer as I had an offer from another company. They knew I had a pending offer, but didn't make the effort to get back with me in time as they promised. In the end, the other offer I chose ended up being a much better offer.