Burns & McDonnell Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014
42 interviews

2.7

Engineering Intern Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

I met them at the career fair, and was invited back for a interview and info session.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you didn't get a long with a team member and what was the result   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Good process. But needed to ask for an interview due to others offers. They accommodated and got me in.

No negotiations

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

You will be brought in to make a short presentation about yourself and your abilities/interests etc. Usually multiple representatives from different departments with needs to fill will be present. After the short morning presentation, you will have breakout one-on-one interviews with the respective department managers/representatives from those groups.

Interview Questions
    • None to speak of. Just be prepared with questions you may have about the company and specific groups by doing research before hand.   Answer Question

Safety Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Acton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Acton, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in January 2012.

The interview was set up quickly and on site. However, the start date was not clear and it took then 2 plus weeks to give me an official start date. During the interview process I was interviewing for 3 different positions not knowing which one I would be selected for. I was selected for the position that I told them I would be least likely qualified for.

Interview Questions
    • What position would I feel that I would be a good fit for.   Answer Question

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in March 2013.

They flied me out to the Kansas City, MO office (the HQ). You give a presentation about yourself to the interviewers as well, so be prepared for that. Other than that, they didn't ask any technical questions, only about what was on my resume. They took me out to lunch with a VP and a couple younger employees, however, the VP was very pushy and monopolized the entire lunch. After lunch, that was it. All in all, only about 3 hours long.

Interview Questions

The formal attire and attitude of the company presented was a major distaste of mine. Suit every day while working at a computer wasn't attractive to me. Also they blatantly told me not to negotiate my offer if I received one, which was extremely off-putting. I believe this is a side-effect of the employee owned company, since more money for me means less money for them.

They really pushed the employee owned aspect of it, to the point of being excessive. The salary was also below average, and combined with the reasons above, I declined the offer.

Engineering Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2012.

I received the invitation to the interview after handing out my resume at the engineering career fair at my school. It was a 30 minute one to one interview and just asked basic questions such as, what do you know about burns and mac? why are you interested in this company, what things are you involved with outside of school? ect. The interviewer also wanted details about my prior internship and asked how that work would transition to the internship i was applying for. The interview was very straight forward and not difficult at all for anyone who has practiced interviewing and has researched a little bit about the company. A couple week later was was contacted with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you stand out to all other student applying for this position?   Answer Question

Had serveral internship offers and accepted one with a company I had more interest in

Chemical Engineering Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in September 2012.

I applied online at my university's career center and was invited to interview. The day before the interview, they hosted an information session with a representative that was relatively friendly and informative. Next day I interviewed and my interviewer was very nice and kept the interview going (more of a conversation than just questions and answers). I'm still waiting on a response.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to work with a difficult person.   Answer Question

Civil Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in September 2012.

Applied online and received an email detailing the interview. Had to give a presentation on myself and my interest in work with Burns. The interview was not structured and I was not really asked good questions.

Assistant Mechanical Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2013.

I applied through my university's career center. I only submitted my resume online and did not attend the information center. For reference, I am a Masters student.
    The interview was pretty easy with normal questions. Here are several questions I remember.
    - Tell me about yourself.
    - Explain some of your engineering tasks.
    - What are some of the things you like about our company?
    - Which of our services interest you the most?
    - What are you looking for in a job?
    - Talk about some of things you've learned as a leader.
    - What are some non-engineering things you've been involved in?
    - Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
    - Do you have any other interviews scheduled?

At the end, he discussed the available opportunities for mechanical engineers and wanted to see which locations and tasks would interest me most. Lastly, have 3-4 questions ready to ask after you're done.

Business & Technology Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in March 2012.

I set up an interview with Burns & Mac through my campus and met with a Campus Recruiter. She was very friendly and I came prepared with the handout showing the different areas they do work in. We both came to the conclusion that I would belong in a certain division of the company.

I was contacted 5 days later about coming to Kansas City to interview for a position. I was still unaware of what the actual position was. They had me prepare a presentation (which I thought was a genius idea for a consulting firm) for the managers that I was meeting with. Although the position did not align with my goals and education, I was still taken to lunch by some other younger analysts and given the whole recruiting treatment.

Unfortunately they did not have any openings in my area, but I would gladly present and interview again if they were to open up. Burns & Mac is a great company with excellent benefits and a very nice work atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • Create a presentation that includes your education, work experience, project experience, why you chose to apply, etc. Basically, sell yourself to the company.   Answer Question

Worked for Burns & McDonnell? Contribute to the Community!