Burns & McDonnell Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2014
Updated Oct 17, 2014

2.6

Electrical Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2014.

I submitted my resume through online, after a day I got video interview which was pre-recorded. They asked pretty easy behavior questions. I had to record my answer, and I could re-answer 1 time for each question.

Assistant Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in October 2014.

I was contacted directly by HR (the girl was super nice and professional) who invited me to the second interview at the Houston office since I had the on-campus interview with Burns & McDonnell a year ago for an internship position. I was asked to prepare a presentation about myself outlining things like my background, prior internships, and goals for the interview.

I was flown out the night before the interview, and the next morning, I met with two managers of the group I interviewed for, and after a brief intro, I did the presentation. After that, the interview was really lax. The managers went over the job, what they look for and benefits. I then went to lunch with three engineers around my age. When we got back to the office, they showed me around, which essentially was the end of the interview.

The same woman who had contacted me for the interview called me the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions
    I was told not to negotiate.

Assistant Environmental Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Applied to their website and received a recruiter call the next day. Scheduled a telephone interview that same week with the hiring managers. Was asked about mostly experience in resume. Other questions were what part of wwtp I liked to work on. Was asked to come to the office for an in person interview two weeks later. In person interview was easy, talked about the business groups and type of work available. Was expecting to do a presentation about myself, but that never came up, which was fine with me. Do expect NOT to get reimbursed for travel, this was the first company of many that didn't reimburse my expenses, (very unprofessional in my opinion), this from the same company that offers a low base pay and a "bonus" which is not guaranteed. Also, stock bonus is based on base pay. bonus is taxed at your top tax rate, so you only actually get about 60% of it.

Experience was positive, but look at the numbers, and see if they add up to what you feel comfortable with.

Interview Questions

Base pay was low. Make sure to ask for your maximum when they ask what you are looking to get paid. Bonus is promised, but not guaranteed. Bonus taxed at top marginal rate, so you only keep about 60% of it. Discretionary contribution is based on base pay, so you make sure you ask for something you feel comfortable with.

Make sure to negotiate, if not on base pay increase, ask for a sign up bonus, you might just get it. If they really value you, they'll give it you.

Assistant Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in September 2014.

Had a phone interview first with a recruiter and an on-site interview schedule a few days after. The on-site interview was one of the easiest I've ever had. You first give a presentation to a group of division managers and talk about yourself and your experiences. Then you sit down one on one with each manager for about 45 minutes each and further discuss how you could fit in to their respective division. Managers are very easy to talk to.

Interview Questions
    Little to no room for negotiation, at least for entry-level positions.

Civil Engineering Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Met college recruiter at my school during a career fair and signed up for a walk-in informal interview. Recruiter was very knowledgable about the internship opportunities available and he took many notes about my interests. Followed up with a phone interview about 10 days later. Then had another phone interview with the engineers I would be potential working with. Then about two weeks later received a verbal and written offer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were about my previous work experience, nothing very technical since it was an internship position I was seeking.   Answer Question

Civil/Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in March 2014.

Two phone interviews followed by an all-expense paid for on-site interview. I was expected to have a 10 minute presentation ready for the on-site interview. After the on-site interview an offer was to be made approximately 1-2 weeks later.

Safety Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Acton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Acton, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell in January 2012.

The interview was set up quickly and on site. However, the start date was not clear and it took then 2 plus weeks to give me an official start date. During the interview process I was interviewing for 3 different positions not knowing which one I would be selected for. I was selected for the position that I told them I would be least likely qualified for.

Interview Questions
    • What position would I feel that I would be a good fit for.   Answer Question

Safety Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wallingford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wallingford, CT

I applied online – interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in April 2012.

Came aboard as a contractor then later hired as employee owner. Job performance seems to be the tipping point - do a good job and you will be an employee owner - if not you will be held as contract staff

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to live away from home for the job?   View Answer
    Not a bifg deal - here is what we offer (the contract company didnt obtain all the correct information and several promises werent kept)

Staff Structural Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Initially, the HR process was amazing, better than most that I've gone through. After the interview, I've not heard back from the company. I'm unsure if this was due to disconnected management, more qualified persons that they're waiting on, or general disorganization. One manager was in the main location in Kansas City, while the other two managers were in the local office. Hard to get a response from anyone regarding updates on position. The interviewing process was simple. Initial contact by HR, then phone interview with HR to determine quantification. After that, phone interview with hiring management and lastly, in house interview.

Interview Questions
    • General Structural Knowledge and overall personalty type questions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online – interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in April 2014.

The Hiring Manager called me for interview but I was in the class. I called him back and he asked me several questions about my education and previous internship. He mentioned that he is going to call for specifying the interview date but he didn't called. I tried to reach him but I couldn't.