Burns & McDonnell Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

2.7

Water Resources Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Denver, CO) in February 2015.

Interview

The first part of the interview process involves a virtual recording between you and the HR representative. The HR rep records themselves giving you a company introduction and then asks interview questions. You go to a virtual interview website and record yourself answering these questions and submit them at the end for review.

Interview Questions

• Describe a Leadership role and what you learned from that experience?   Answer Question
    • What motivates you for a successful career?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was online and was about thirty minutes long. They asked about six questions and they required a video response the question were straight forward. There were issues with the recording process you get two attempts to answer one question and they will always choose the second attempt and it feels very unnatural to speak to a camera.

Structural Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell (Omaha, NE) in February 2015.

Interview

I was only given 2 days advanced notice about the interview which was the only negative part of the experience. I went to an on campus interview and really enjoyed the person from HR who interviewed me. It lasted 20-30 minutes and I left with a smile on my face feeling like I was seriously being considered and not that I had just wasted my time. I didn't get the position but was sent a personalized e-mail letting me know that they will keep my information on record and that I was the type of person they do want to hire in the future. This left a great impression on me about how much this company does care.

Construction Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in February 2015.

Interview

Two interviews: October: In-person 30 minute interview on campus following our career fair - this was fairly general and the interviewer was not part of the group that I wanted to intern with. February: a 30+ minute phone interview with the CDB office manager and my internship mentor that was specific for the location and type of internship that I wanted

Interview Questions

• What sets you apart from other applicants? - and they really wanted to know, it wasn't just a question on their list.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Interview

It was pretty nice. They paid for my travel to the office. Sat down in a room with four people from the office and they just discussed my resume. No crazy or unexpected questions. Everything was very straightforward and I just told them about myself.

Interview Questions

Interview

The interview process was fairly straight forward. It begins with an online application and then you have an online interview. The first ten questions are basic fill in questions. Then it is followed by 6 behavioral questions. They were pretty standard.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell in January 2015.

Interview

They contacted me within a week to do a video interview. The video interview consisted of 10+/ easy background questions that could be answered in a sentence or less. Then the actual video interview consisted of 6 pre-recorded, and you u have 2 chance to redo them and have about 2 mins to answer them.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose "Electrical Engineering" and what classes have you have enjoyed the most?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Burns & McDonnell?   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest achievement?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you were in a leadership role and what did you take away from that experience?   Answer Question
    • What motivates you to be successful?   Answer Question

Assistant Civil Engineer Interview

Interview

I submitted a resume through the company's online system. I also had a professor send my resume to someone within the company (though not in the division I was hired into). Within a week or two of submitting my resume, I had a phone interview. A week or two after the phone interview I had an on-site interview. The on-site interview was a short presentation about myself, followed by Q&A. After this interview, I was offered a position the next day. I was treated very well through the whole process.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled conflict in a team situation? Though the question isn't unexpected, it can be hard to answer.   Answer Question

Interview

I was contacted to do a video interview with Burns & McDonnell. There were five questions. After answering each question, I had the chance to watch my answer and rerecord the answer if I wanted. The questions were basic and asking about previous experiment and some behavioral questions. I did not receive an offer and I was told they are trying to match a position to my skills.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Burns & McDonnell.

Interview

Applied to their website and received a recruiter call the next day. Scheduled a telephone interview that same week with the hiring managers. Was asked about mostly experience in resume. Other questions were what part of wwtp I liked to work on. Was asked to come to the office for an in person interview two weeks later. In person interview was easy, talked about the business groups and type of work available. Was expecting to do a presentation about myself, but that never came up, which was fine with me. Do expect NOT to get reimbursed for travel, this was the first company of many that didn't reimburse my expenses, (very unprofessional in my opinion), this from the same company that offers a low base pay and a "bonus" which is not guaranteed. Also, stock bonus is based on base pay. bonus is taxed at your top tax rate, so you only actually get about 60% of it. Experience was positive, but look at the numbers, and see if they add up to what you feel comfortable with.

Interview Questions

Base pay was low. Make sure to ask for your maximum when they ask what you are looking to get paid. Bonus is promised, but not guaranteed. Bonus taxed at top marginal rate, so you only keep about 60% of it. Discretionary contribution is based on base pay, so you make sure you ask for something you feel comfortable with. Make sure to negotiate, if not on base pay increase, ask for a sign up bonus, you might just get it. If they really value you, they'll give it you.