Burns & Wilcox Assistant Underwriter Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Farmington Hills, MI) in February 2015.

Interview

Met with operations manager and the underwriting manager first. They asked basic questions about my strengths, past occupations, what activities I participate in (such as student organizations), and about my education. They seemed to want to gauge my personality more than question what they could already see on my resume. Afterwards, I was allowed to ask them questions. I wanted to know more about the job scope and what a typical day being and assistant underwriter would be like. They then brought in two assistant underwriters that I was able to question and garner a deeper understanding of job roles. They will also help further your education with classes at a local university and at Kaplan.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Burns & Wilcox

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Tampa, FL) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied to the organization online and received an email about two weeks later, asking for an interview. When I went to the interview, I met with 4 different experienced underwriters and management personnel. I was highly impressed with the level of knowledge and experience of all of the interviewers. The interviews went very smoothly, no promises were made, but they took the time to explain the inter-workings of the company and what the job would entail, along with how the path to promotion and training would be laid out. It was an altogether pleasant experience and seems like a strong employee-oriented organization.

Interview Questions

• The interviews were more akin to information sessions, where I was able to ask questions and gain an understanding about expectations and how the business operated.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Was contacted through email after submitting my resume to schedule an in person interview. This interview was very in formal in regards to the "questions" they asked. This was more of an infomational interview and the interview telling my about the position, who they are, and why this position is open.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (San Diego, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

Basically, went in, sat down, he looked over my resume, check marked skills that seemed relevant. Then he said that I seemed to have the necessary qualifications, and explained the time line for the successive interviews. We then basically chatted for a little while. In retrospect, I probably could have been a little pushier to sell myself.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Farmington Hills, MI) in March 2010.

Interview

I applied in the Spring but wasn't hired until the Fall. There were several interviews with at least 20 different people. It was a long drawn out torturous process.

Interview Questions

• The CEO will spend about 5 minutes with you and at the end of the interview he will ask you to email him selling yourself and why you should be hired there.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The only advice I can give is don't accept the offer. RUN!

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Interview

Interview process took 3+ weeks. First interview was approx 1 hour. Behavioral questions and went through resume. Manager was easy to talk to. Second interview was with VP and managing director. Very awkward conversations and was barely 10 min long. Never got back to me whether I got the job or not.... very unprofessional... do not recommend

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2015.

Interview

Had a good first interview, but the second interview was abnormally short (only around 15-20 minutes). Interviewers were very curt, did not take notes or ask follow up questions about my answers. Followed up 2-3 times during the 2 weeks after the interviews, and they kept stalling, either saying "it will be another week until we decide" or "I don't know". Overall a very disappointing experience and frankly a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• Experiences on resume, time management, personal interests, etc.   Answer Question

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2014.

Interview

Multiple emails and multiple interviews in person and by phone. The process was honestly too long for a simple assistant position. They did not necessarily listen to my 'asks' either. They put an offer out to me and only when I said I need to think about it did they pay attention to my requirements for hiring me. It's a two way street, they need to learn that.

Interview Questions

• Why you wanted to work there? Why you wanted to leave?   Answer Question

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in February 2011.

Interview

I originally applied for a Business Support Associate position, but during the phone interview, the recruiter stated that she was going to submit my information for an Assistant Underwriter position, as it was also entry level, and she felt that I was qualified. Looking at the job description, I didn't agree, but I wasn't going to argue with her. I was called in for an interview the next week. I was told it was for both positions, but when I got to the office, I was informed that I had just met the Business Support Associate. She had been working there for over a month; she started long before my phone interview, while I was led to believe that the position was still available up until the moment I walked in. I interviewed with three people that day, then received an email less than an hour later that I did not meet the qualifications for the Assistant Underwriter position; I already knew that. About a week later I saw another ad for the Business Support Associate and sent an email to the person I had interviewed with, expressing my interest. I assumed that the person they had hired previously had quit. I was told that the position wasn't actually open, they just use the ad to generate resumes to see if they can fill other positions. In my opinion, that's very deceptive. The company wasted both my time and theirs by interviewing me for a position which we both knew I wasn't qualified for. If you're called in for an interview with this company, don't assume that the job you think you're being interviewed for is actually available.

Interview Questions

• If you could be any household appliance, what would you be?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to work with a coworker you didn't get along with, and explain how you handled that.   Answer Question

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in January 2011.

Interview

I applied for the Assistant Underwriter Job a few months before, and within seconds of applying, received a letter rejecting my application. Months later, I received an email from Burns and Wilcox asking to complete a letter writing assignment to be considered for future positions, which was not very hard. After completing this assignment, I received an email informing me that they would like a phone interview with me. We agreed on a date and time, and the interview was probably about half an hour long.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that a customer was not happy with their service, and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question