Burns & Wilcox Assistant Underwriter Interview Questions & Reviews

2.3

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL
Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in August 2014.

I applied to the organization online and received an email about two weeks later, asking for an interview. When I went to the interview, I met with 4 different experienced underwriters and management personnel. I was highly impressed with the level of knowledge and experience of all of the interviewers. The interviews went very smoothly, no promises were made, but they took the time to explain the inter-workings of the company and what the job would entail, along with how the path to promotion and training would be laid out. It was an altogether pleasant experience and seems like a strong employee-oriented organization.

Interview Questions
  • The interviews were more akin to information sessions, where I was able to ask questions and gain an understanding about expectations and how the business operated.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Burns & Wilcox

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Farmington Hills, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in March 2010.

I applied in the Spring but wasn't hired until the Fall. There were several interviews with at least 20 different people. It was a long drawn out torturous process.

Interview Questions
    • The CEO will spend about 5 minutes with you and at the end of the interview he will ask you to email him selling yourself and why you should be hired there.   Answer Question
    The only advice I can give is don't accept the offer. RUN!

Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in December 2012.

Basically, went in, sat down, he looked over my resume, check marked skills that seemed relevant. Then he said that I seemed to have the necessary qualifications, and explained the time line for the successive interviews. We then basically chatted for a little while.

In retrospect, I probably could have been a little pushier to sell myself.

Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox.

Was contacted through email after submitting my resume to schedule an in person interview. This interview was very in formal in regards to the "questions" they asked. This was more of an infomational interview and the interview telling my about the position, who they are, and why this position is open.

Assistant Underwriter Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in January 2011.

I applied for the Assistant Underwriter Job a few months before, and within seconds of applying, received a letter rejecting my application. Months later, I received an email from Burns and Wilcox asking to complete a letter writing assignment to be considered for future positions, which was not very hard. After completing this assignment, I received an email informing me that they would like a phone interview with me. We agreed on a date and time, and the interview was probably about half an hour long.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time that a customer was not happy with their service, and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Assistant Underwriter Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in August 2009.

Interviewed by Branch Manager who asked a lot of questions but didn't necessarily have set questions or review my resume in advance. Was somewhat informal and more a gage of my personality.

Interview Questions
    • What are the best and worst traits you've seen in managers or supervisors?   Answer Question

Assistant Underwriter Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in February 2011.

I originally applied for a Business Support Associate position, but during the phone interview, the recruiter stated that she was going to submit my information for an Assistant Underwriter position, as it was also entry level, and she felt that I was qualified. Looking at the job description, I didn't agree, but I wasn't going to argue with her.

I was called in for an interview the next week. I was told it was for both positions, but when I got to the office, I was informed that I had just met the Business Support Associate. She had been working there for over a month; she started long before my phone interview, while I was led to believe that the position was still available up until the moment I walked in. I interviewed with three people that day, then received an email less than an hour later that I did not meet the qualifications for the Assistant Underwriter position; I already knew that.

About a week later I saw another ad for the Business Support Associate and sent an email to the person I had interviewed with, expressing my interest. I assumed that the person they had hired previously had quit. I was told that the position wasn't actually open, they just use the ad to generate resumes to see if they can fill other positions. In my opinion, that's very deceptive.

The company wasted both my time and theirs by interviewing me for a position which we both knew I wasn't qualified for. If you're called in for an interview with this company, don't assume that the job you think you're being interviewed for is actually available.

Interview Questions
    • If you could be any household appliance, what would you be?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to work with a coworker you didn't get along with, and explain how you handled that.   Answer Question

Worked for Burns & Wilcox? Contribute to the Community!