Burns & Wilcox

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Farmington Hills, MI

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online. I had an initial interview with three IT people. They passed me to the next level. That was an interview the acting CIO, during which I also "informally" met other top personnel. Finally, I met Mr. Kaufman, who interviews all potential hires. He asked me to email a pitch about why he should hire me. The process took several weeks and, from what I've since heard, that's not unusual.

Interview Question – No questions were difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was initially offered $90K but ended with $100K.

Very Difficult Interview

Assistant Specialty Insurance Underwriter Interview

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox.

Interview Details – Let the interview process be your warning to how demanding the job will be. No regard for your personal time and multiple hoops to jump through at every turn. Fill out multiple online surveys, write us an example letter, 1 hour phone interview, 2 1/2 hour in person interview, ANOTHER 2 1/2 second interview, now write us a 2 page personal letter BEGGING for the job! Oh and by the way the money is crap.... NO THANKS!

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – Heed the warning of the interview. While they may sugarcoat things in interviews read between the lines. Having a laptop so you can work from home if necessary also translates to we expect you to work nights and weekends all the time.

Accounting Interview

Farmington Hills, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in September 2013.

Interview Details – Very organized interview process, kind staff.

Interview Question – Average questions, very kind during interview process.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – After numerous e-mails and questions I presented to this company, I never could get an answer on how much overtime there would be with this job. I was told there would be overtime during interviews, but I never could get an honest answer on the amount. The firm danced around my question, and said there was no information they could share with me regarding the amount past employees have worked. DO NOT APPLY IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO WORK A GREAT AMOUNT OF OVERTIME. Definitely not a family oriented organization.

Business Support Associate Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in May 2013.

Interview Details – The initial phone interview was extremely informal and very unorganized. The HR head asked random questions, none of which pertained to my skill set or how I would fit into this position.

After a successful I had a phone interview, I met with them for an in person interview. Prior to the interview, I was required to take a simple math and word relationship test. After the test I met with a panel of 3 associates and discussed my resume and how I would fit in regards to this position, overall pretty relaxed and typical.

After the interview process I followed up with them via email with no response and followed up again via a phone call two week later. When I spoke with the HR manager in charge she had no idea about what they were doing with the position and seemed lost or unresponsive.

Overall, the whole interview process was disorganized and the HR dept does not seem to know what they are doing. They lack the courtesy of responding and will simply just ignore your attempts to follow up.

Interview Question – How has the job hunt been and what are some of the most interesting interview processes that you have seen so far?   Answer Question

Commercial Underwriter Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Burns & Wilcox.

Interview Details – Applied online and had an interview within a couple of days. 1 in office interview with Senior Management and then received quick job offer. Be careful on how you word your questions. For example: I asked if they supported and/or paid for continuing education. They said yes, but failed to mention this only included Insurance Designations and not any other form of continuing education (leading me to believe my pursuit of an MBA would be covered).

Interview Question – Typical interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Consultant Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interview questions were not hard and usual. I felt like I was doing most of the talking most of the time. People were friendly and I got to meet most of the team I would be working with during the process, which was nice. The process took quite awhile, about six weeks. I had to take a lot of time off my current job to make it to all the interviews. I didn't feel like the benefits were adequately explained.

Interview Question – Are you willing to work weekends?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate. I had on my cover letter my lowest possible amount to move and thought I'd get an offer of at least that amount. I did not. I was upset about this. I recommend trying to find out an offer range before going through lengthy process.

Underwriter Interview

Underwriter

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox.

Interview Details – Short, sweet and easy.

Interview Question – "When can you start?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Great.

Very Easy Interview

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Assistant Underwriter
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in December 2012.

Interview Details – Basically, went in, sat down, he looked over my resume, check marked skills that seemed relevant. Then he said that I seemed to have the necessary qualifications, and explained the time line for the successive interviews. We then basically chatted for a little while.

In retrospect, I probably could have been a little pushier to sell myself.

Interview Question – None asked. Which kinda surprised me.   Answer Question

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Assistant Underwriter
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox.

Interview Details – Was contacted through email after submitting my resume to schedule an in person interview. This interview was very in formal in regards to the "questions" they asked. This was more of an infomational interview and the interview telling my about the position, who they are, and why this position is open.

Underwriter Interview

Underwriter
Centennial, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in August 2012.

Interview Details – I sent in my resume and was contacted within 30 minutes. Set up an interview for two days later. I was suppose to meet with some upper management from out of state. It was a very informal get to know session. It was kind of goofy and I quickly realized this was not the place for me so I asked a question about what appears like a high turnover rate. After he stumbled through some answer about how they don't, he asked me to write him a letter as to why I would be a valuable member to his company. I declined.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Burns & Wilcox? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Burns & Wilcox interview questions and advice. All 20 interview reviews posted anonymously by Burns & Wilcox employees and interview candidates.