Burns & Wilcox Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Burns & Wilcox in February 2015.

Met with operations manager and the underwriting manager first. They asked basic questions about my strengths, past occupations, what activities I participate in (such as student organizations), and about my education. They seemed to want to gauge my personality more than question what they could already see on my resume.

Afterwards, I was allowed to ask them questions. I wanted to know more about the job scope and what a typical day being and assistant underwriter would be like. They then brought in two assistant underwriters that I was able to question and garner a deeper understanding of job roles.

They will also help further your education with classes at a local university and at Kaplan.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & Wilcox in August 2014.

I applied to the organization online and received an email about two weeks later, asking for an interview. When I went to the interview, I met with 4 different experienced underwriters and management personnel. I was highly impressed with the level of knowledge and experience of all of the interviewers. The interviews went very smoothly, no promises were made, but they took the time to explain the inter-workings of the company and what the job would entail, along with how the path to promotion and training would be laid out. It was an altogether pleasant experience and seems like a strong employee-oriented organization.

Interview Questions
    • The interviews were more akin to information sessions, where I was able to ask questions and gain an understanding about expectations and how the business operated.   Answer Question

Assistant Specialty Insurance Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & Wilcox.

Let the interview process be your warning to how demanding the job will be. No regard for your personal time and multiple hoops to jump through at every turn. Fill out multiple online surveys, write us an example letter, 1 hour phone interview, 2 1/2 hour in person interview, ANOTHER 2 1/2 second interview, now write us a 2 page personal letter BEGGING for the job! Oh and by the way the money is crap.... NO THANKS!

Interview Questions

Heed the warning of the interview. While they may sugarcoat things in interviews read between the lines. Having a laptop so you can work from home if necessary also translates to we expect you to work nights and weekends all the time.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Burns & Wilcox in September 2013.

Very organized interview process, kind staff.

Interview Questions
    • Average questions, very kind during interview process.   Answer Question

After numerous e-mails and questions I presented to this company, I never could get an answer on how much overtime there would be with this job. I was told there would be overtime during interviews, but I never could get an honest answer on the amount. The firm danced around my question, and said there was no information they could share with me regarding the amount past employees have worked. DO NOT APPLY IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO WORK A GREAT AMOUNT OF OVERTIME. Definitely not a family oriented organization.

Accounts Receivable Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & Wilcox in August 2013.

I went in for an initial interview with the controller of the department I would be working in. Pretty standard interview. Next came a round of interviews with the VP & managers of the accounting department. 1st with the VP 1:1, very pleasant man, respectful but extremely professional. Next came another interview with the managers of the department 2:1. Nice ladies, didn't even feel like an interview. FINALLY, once all the aforementioned people approved me, I interviewed with the CEO of the company. Colleagues expressed it as a very negative experience, yet I had a good one. All you need to do is find this man's sweet spot. I did had to write a short essay and email it to him, that was unnecessary.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you more qualified than others for this position?
      Tell me what is your best & worst asset?

Answer Question

Commercial Underwriter Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Burns & Wilcox.

Applied online and had an interview within a couple of days. 1 in office interview with Senior Management and then received quick job offer. Be careful on how you word your questions. For example: I asked if they supported and/or paid for continuing education. They said yes, but failed to mention this only included Insurance Designations and not any other form of continuing education (leading me to believe my pursuit of an MBA would be covered).

Interview Questions
    • Typical interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Business Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Burns & Wilcox in May 2013.

The initial phone interview was extremely informal and very unorganized. The HR head asked random questions, none of which pertained to my skill set or how I would fit into this position.

After a successful I had a phone interview, I met with them for an in person interview. Prior to the interview, I was required to take a simple math and word relationship test. After the test I met with a panel of 3 associates and discussed my resume and how I would fit in regards to this position, overall pretty relaxed and typical.

After the interview process I followed up with them via email with no response and followed up again via a phone call two week later. When I spoke with the HR manager in charge she had no idea about what they were doing with the position and seemed lost or unresponsive.

Overall, the whole interview process was disorganized and the HR dept does not seem to know what they are doing. They lack the courtesy of responding and will simply just ignore your attempts to follow up.

Interview Questions
    • How has the job hunt been and what are some of the most interesting interview processes that you have seen so far?   Answer Question

Underwriter Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Burns & Wilcox.

Short, sweet and easy.

Great.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Burns & Wilcox.

Was contacted through email after submitting my resume to schedule an in person interview. This interview was very in formal in regards to the "questions" they asked. This was more of an infomational interview and the interview telling my about the position, who they are, and why this position is open.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Burns & Wilcox in December 2012.

Basically, went in, sat down, he looked over my resume, check marked skills that seemed relevant. Then he said that I seemed to have the necessary qualifications, and explained the time line for the successive interviews. We then basically chatted for a little while.

In retrospect, I probably could have been a little pushier to sell myself.