Burns & Wilcox Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.7

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Farmington Hills, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

The actual interview process was quite normal. I had a phone interview followed by a face to face panel interview. After the panel interview, I spoke with the CFO and the head of human resources on the phone. I was told by them that people would receive offers within the next two business days. Not only did I not receive an offer, I did not get any sort of rejection letter either. I tried multiple times getting a hold of the right people to find out the status of my application. I left a professional voice message and sent an email to the human resource representative I was in most contact with during this entire process. Even after contacting multiple times, I received no response whatsoever. I am disappointed by the lack of professionalism by this company. At the very least, they owed me a proper rejection letter.

Interview Questions

• What do we owe you as an employer? Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Farmington Hills, MI) in February 2015.

Interview

Met with operations manager and the underwriting manager first. They asked basic questions about my strengths, past occupations, what activities I participate in (such as student organizations), and about my education. They seemed to want to gauge my personality more than question what they could already see on my resume. Afterwards, I was allowed to ask them questions. I wanted to know more about the job scope and what a typical day being and assistant underwriter would be like. They then brought in two assistant underwriters that I was able to question and garner a deeper understanding of job roles. They will also help further your education with classes at a local university and at Kaplan.

Assistant Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Tampa, FL) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied to the organization online and received an email about two weeks later, asking for an interview. When I went to the interview, I met with 4 different experienced underwriters and management personnel. I was highly impressed with the level of knowledge and experience of all of the interviewers. The interviews went very smoothly, no promises were made, but they took the time to explain the inter-workings of the company and what the job would entail, along with how the path to promotion and training would be laid out. It was an altogether pleasant experience and seems like a strong employee-oriented organization.

Interview Questions

• The interviews were more akin to information sessions, where I was able to ask questions and gain an understanding about expectations and how the business operated.   Answer Question

Insurance Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Reno, NV) in August 2014.

Interview

Email correspondence with manager until interview time was decided upon. Had an in office interview and was offered the position via email 20 minutes later. I was nervous going into the interview but immediately felt at ease, the person I interviewed with was easy to communicate with and clearly engaged and interested in what I had to say during my interview, I wasn't just another resume off the pile

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know about my personality and how it would work well in the culture of the office and how I would work with existing employees. Also picked certain things from my resume to ask about and get a feel for my personality   1 Answer

Assistant Specialty Insurance Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

Let the interview process be your warning to how demanding the job will be. No regard for your personal time and multiple hoops to jump through at every turn. Fill out multiple online surveys, write us an example letter, 1 hour phone interview, 2 1/2 hour in person interview, ANOTHER 2 1/2 second interview, now write us a 2 page personal letter BEGGING for the job! Oh and by the way the money is crap.... NO THANKS!

Interview Questions

Heed the warning of the interview. While they may sugarcoat things in interviews read between the lines. Having a laptop so you can work from home if necessary also translates to we expect you to work nights and weekends all the time.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Farmington Hills, MI) in September 2013.

Interview

Very organized interview process, kind staff.

Interview Questions

• Average questions, very kind during interview process.   Answer Question

After numerous e-mails and questions I presented to this company, I never could get an answer on how much overtime there would be with this job. I was told there would be overtime during interviews, but I never could get an honest answer on the amount. The firm danced around my question, and said there was no information they could share with me regarding the amount past employees have worked. DO NOT APPLY IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO WORK A GREAT AMOUNT OF OVERTIME. Definitely not a family oriented organization.

Accounts Receivable Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (Farmington Hills, MI) in August 2013.

Interview

I went in for an initial interview with the controller of the department I would be working in. Pretty standard interview. Next came a round of interviews with the VP & managers of the accounting department. 1st with the VP 1:1, very pleasant man, respectful but extremely professional. Next came another interview with the managers of the department 2:1. Nice ladies, didn't even feel like an interview. FINALLY, once all the aforementioned people approved me, I interviewed with the CEO of the company. Colleagues expressed it as a very negative experience, yet I had a good one. All you need to do is find this man's sweet spot. I did had to write a short essay and email it to him, that was unnecessary.

Interview Questions

• Why are you more qualified than others for this position? Tell me what is your best & worst asset?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox.

Interview

Applied online and had an interview within a couple of days. 1 in office interview with Senior Management and then received quick job offer. Be careful on how you word your questions. For example: I asked if they supported and/or paid for continuing education. They said yes, but failed to mention this only included Insurance Designations and not any other form of continuing education (leading me to believe my pursuit of an MBA would be covered).

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Business Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox (San Francisco, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

The initial phone interview was extremely informal and very unorganized. The HR head asked random questions, none of which pertained to my skill set or how I would fit into this position. After a successful I had a phone interview, I met with them for an in person interview. Prior to the interview, I was required to take a simple math and word relationship test. After the test I met with a panel of 3 associates and discussed my resume and how I would fit in regards to this position, overall pretty relaxed and typical. After the interview process I followed up with them via email with no response and followed up again via a phone call two week later. When I spoke with the HR manager in charge she had no idea about what they were doing with the position and seemed lost or unresponsive. Overall, the whole interview process was disorganized and the HR dept does not seem to know what they are doing. They lack the courtesy of responding and will simply just ignore your attempts to follow up.

Interview Questions

• How has the job hunt been and what are some of the most interesting interview processes that you have seen so far?   Answer Question

Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Burns & Wilcox.

Interview

Short, sweet and easy.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Great.