Business Wire Interview Questions

Updated Oct 8, 2014

2.5

Vice President Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Business Wire in September 2014.

First met with the hiring manager, asked to come back the following week to meet with another person, then the following week to meet with another. Then a week of complete silence. Then the fourth or fifth week in I finally met with someone in HR. I say "finally" because at no point was salary or compensation discussed until that time, and when we finally discussed they were WAY below industry average and below my current salary.

Lesson learned: Discuss compensation expectations within the first week or two to make sure you're in the same ballpark so you dont waste everyones time. Especially when you're paying much lower than average VP Marketing positions in NYC.

Interview Questions

Salary too low especially for a stale organization behind the times and with no sustainable business model. Read current employee reviews on this website if you want a better understanding of why this company has no future.

Supervisor Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Business Wire.

I was contacted by a manager at Business Wire who found my resume on the internet. I can't remember which site though, sorry. The manager asked me a few questions over the phone to get to know me as my resume had a lot of detail about my skills already. I was brought in to meet with 4 other supervisors and the manager in a panel interview. They each had specific questions planned for me related to the actual job. It was refreshing as they each had their own style and point of view of the type of person with whom they wanted to work. The feeling was that of a meeting to discuss plans of action, with the only exception being that I was the one being asked the most questions. I was able to ask them questions as well to see what I could do in the role to help them in their roles.
    My advice would be to be yourself. I actually was embarrassed at one point while describing a time in my career when I had to mature and I felt that my being genuine helped my chances.

Interview Questions
    • It had to be the one I mentioned above - tell us about a time you had to grow in your career   View Answer
    it was a set salary

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Business Wire.

Process was pretty standard for sales role. Submitted my Resume for review and received a phone call within 5 days. Had a nice 30 minute pre-interview phone call and then set a time for a face to face interview. Sit down interview was great and was made to feel really comfortable was asked to come back and meet with other office staff members another day. That second/Staff interview was very informal and laid back. More open questions and a chance to learn about the company culture. Final and third interview was with the Regional VP of Sales. Hardest part of the interview cycle and hardest person to get any read on. Very formal, very detailed and results driven.

Interview Questions
    • Personally, I always find the question of my greatest sales success the hardest question to answer simply because I've had several good successes for different reasons. I think they were taken back by my one difficult question which was "What do people complain the most about here?"   Answer Question

Newsroom Editor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Business Wire.

They make you take a proofreading test that's pretty easy. Then they call to interview you and it's just three people with one of them reading questions off of a list. Questions are all really basic. I got the idea that no one was happy to be there and it made me NOT want the job.

Interview Questions
    • All standard. Some of the canned questions were badly worded and the obviously inexperienced interviewer fumbled over a few of them. "What's your biggest weakness?"   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Business Wire.

This company called me for a phone interview the next day. I spent a lot of time preparing, only to find out at the time of the call that they "just" filled the position. Um, then why schedule a phone interview less than 24 hours before? Seems sketchy to me. Dying industry, too. Stay away from a company that doesn't respect your time.

Newsroom Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Business Wire in August 2013.

The First step was a quick overview of the position via phone call. If it sounds intriguing, an interview will be scheduled. The first interview was a 2:1. They asked very, very generic interview questions (listed below). These are just a means for them to get to know a bit about who you are. No need to feel any pressure, just give them thoughtful answers.

The next step of the first interview is a skills test. The first test, you will be given a sheet of paper with a few paragraphs and a table with financials (statement). You must compare the paper copy with the one on the computer and circle any and all discrepancies. The next test is a typical proofing/editing test. The third is also proofing/editing, but it was an article dealing largely the performance of a company, so spend some time with financial section of your favorite newspaper. The last test is a 5 minute “tell us why we should hire you” test. This is basically a WPM test.

If all goes well, you’ll be called in for a second interview with the regional sales manager. This person will ask you basically all of the same questions you answered in the first interview, with maybe one or two different questions peppered in (what do you do for fun? what are you currently reading?).

I was not offered the position. The interviewer I sat with on the second interviewer became extremely unprofessional after I asked her a question she was not prepared to answer (and did not have a suitable answer for).

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest strength/weakness? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • Where do you get most of your news? favorite social media sites?   Answer Question
    • Who are some figures that you look up to in terms of leadership?   Answer Question
    • Describe a conflict you had with a customer and how you resolved it.   Answer Question
    • What do you know about the company? Why should we hire you? Versus someone with more experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Business Wire.

First step is a call to confirm interviewee is in fact aware that the role is NOT a writing role. Purely copy edit. Some offices -- NY, SF, may involve discussion re: hours = overnight, late night, etc.. Second is an in-person interview with a copy edit test. Third interview is meeting office senior management to ensure compatibility.

Interview Questions
    • None. Depending on your situation, you may have to personally determine if you are willing to accept odd working hours   Answer Question
    No negotiation available.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Business Wire.

You have to go through 3 interviews depending on how desperate they are at the moment to get a hire. Very bureaucracy. CEO has to approve everything

Interview Questions
    Always negotiate. They will try to nickel and dime you

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Business Wire in May 2009.

Phone call from recruiter, phone screening. In person interview with four people (discussed technology and software skills etc.)

Interview Questions
    No negotiation - take it or leave it.

Vice President, Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Business Wire in July 2008.

I met with the CEO, the COO, the President, as well as the Chairman. We met at a local hotel, and discussed my previous role, what made me succesful there, as well as what I would do if hired at their organization. The discussion lasted about 2 hours, and after, I was to follow-up with the President for next steps.