Business Wire Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Business Wire (Miami, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview was very brief--barely eight minutes long--and the interviewer was very kind and just went over some basic information. It's basically exactly what the job description said it was, it's just reiterated and there's some emphasis in the fact that phones are not allowed in the newsroom.

Account Executive, New Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Business Wire (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Very typical for a sales position. You meet with the Regional Sales Manager, one of the VPs of Sales/Operations - who is based in NYC. After that - two weeks later, I met the VP of Sales again, and with the COO. Before the face to face interviews, there were two phone interviews. There were also several communications in between the face to face interviews. After 14 days without communication, I had to ask my point of contact where they were with the process and I received a canned letter in legalese telling me that they were "going in another direction." The most disappointing part, is that these are people whom I've known for several years shared industry events. I followed up and asked for feedback and have had no communication from them. I later discovered from a contact at Business Wire, that ultimately, after several interviews with several candidates, that they decided to change the definition and requirements of the role - based on the interviews they had already had. In other words, after several interviews, I was one of the test subjects for the organization to decide to change what they were doing. Clearly, if they went that deeply in an interview process with me, I was being considered but still it showed very little consideration of my time or of their own time. Very disappointing, but ultimately, if they are that indecisive, it's best that I'm not there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • What have you been doing since you left your previous job? What have you been doing since you left "previous industry competitor"?   Answer Question
    • What are your strengths?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to come back to this industry/field?   Answer Question
    • Why not go back to your previous employer? - Which was really - why aren't you going back to your previous employer? Do they not want you?   Answer Question

Newsroom Editor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Business Wire.

Interview

Phone interview to explain hours and make sure you know there is no writing involved. Then an in person interview. At this interview they will also text your editing and proofreading skills with a few timed tests. Then a second in person interview.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Business Wire.

Interview

I enjoyed the people I met and the initial interview process. The hiring manager was very professional, polite and responsive. I was very intrigued with the company as it is a Berkshire Hathway company, and I respect Warren Buffets decisions regarding businesses he invests in. I went thru 1 phone screen, an initial in person interview with the hiring manager, another interview with other team members, and then asked to do a final sales presentation to management. It was all handled professionally and respectfully. Then I got an email asking me to do one more final project to help the decision making process, which was creating a email pitch based on a scenario they posed. I was sent this request at mid day and asked to complete it by the end of the business day. I am already working, so I emailed them and said I would get to it in a day. I completed it within the next day and sent it to the hiring manager that requested. The hiring manager never acknowledged he received it and things went dark. I waited a few more days and emailed them asking for an update, and I got a phone call from the hiring manager that they decided to change the skills needed for the position and they are starting the process.

Really? They wasted at least 10 hours of my time stringing me along and indicated all along I was qualified for the role. It is even more ridiculous that even 2 to 3 days before they made this change they asked me to do more work for them.

Not only did they waste my time, they wasted their own time taking valuable employee time away from their business because they change and waffle with their indecision and changes. This tells me they have poor leadership, and I am not interested in working for such an organization.

I think Warren Buffet would be ashamed to hear this.

Newsroom Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Business Wire.

Interview

Phone interview was brief and straightforward. The Newsroom Supervisor gave me a full description of the company and its services, as well as my the duties of the position for which I applied. I was asked to come in for an interview where I took an editorial test to evaluate my writing and editing skills.

Vice President Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Business Wire (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

First met with the hiring manager, asked to come back the following week to meet with another person, then the following week to meet with another. Then a week of complete silence. Then the fourth or fifth week in I finally met with someone in HR. I say "finally" because at no point was salary or compensation discussed until that time, and when we finally discussed they were WAY below industry average and below my current salary.

Lesson learned: Discuss compensation expectations within the first week or two to make sure you're in the same ballpark so you dont waste everyones time. Especially when you're paying much lower than average VP Marketing positions in NYC.

Interview Questions

Salary too low especially for a stale organization behind the times and with no sustainable business model. Read current employee reviews on this website if you want a better understanding of why this company has no future.

Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Business Wire.

Interview

I was contacted by a manager at Business Wire who found my resume on the internet. I can't remember which site though, sorry. The manager asked me a few questions over the phone to get to know me as my resume had a lot of detail about my skills already. I was brought in to meet with 4 other supervisors and the manager in a panel interview. They each had specific questions planned for me related to the actual job. It was refreshing as they each had their own style and point of view of the type of person with whom they wanted to work. The feeling was that of a meeting to discuss plans of action, with the only exception being that I was the one being asked the most questions. I was able to ask them questions as well to see what I could do in the role to help them in their roles.
    My advice would be to be yourself. I actually was embarrassed at one point while describing a time in my career when I had to mature and I felt that my being genuine helped my chances.

Interview Questions

• It had to be the one I mentioned above - tell us about a time you had to grow in your career   1 Answer

Negotiation

it was a set salary

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Business Wire.

Interview

Process was pretty standard for sales role. Submitted my Resume for review and received a phone call within 5 days. Had a nice 30 minute pre-interview phone call and then set a time for a face to face interview. Sit down interview was great and was made to feel really comfortable was asked to come back and meet with other office staff members another day. That second/Staff interview was very informal and laid back. More open questions and a chance to learn about the company culture. Final and third interview was with the Regional VP of Sales. Hardest part of the interview cycle and hardest person to get any read on. Very formal, very detailed and results driven.

Interview Questions

• Personally, I always find the question of my greatest sales success the hardest question to answer simply because I've had several good successes for different reasons. I think they were taken back by my one difficult question which was "What do people complain the most about here?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Business Wire (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

It started with a 15-minute phone interview with the person who would become my supervisor upon being hired. It was pretty casual, informative of the basics: job description, an emphasis on the fact that there would be no writing done, shift hours, etc.

We set up my first in-person interview, which was actually a timed, three-part editing test. Look at copy, compare it to what's pulled up for you on a computer monitor and mark the differences, edit a release for grammatical errors, and finally, type up briefly why they should hire you.

The third interview - which is dependent on how well you performed on the test, so feel good if they ask you for an interview afterwards - was a traditional sit down and get asked questions deal, with a couple supervisors and an editor. One supervisor, compared to the other two people, was annoyingly stuffy, making a point of not laughing when the others would, and was way, way too intense. It made the others noticeably awkward.

Finally, upon being selected as a final consideration among other applicants, a background check is performed on you. If you don't have any skeletons in your closet, you should be fine on that final step to being hired.

Interview Questions

• How do you see the future of news and reporting changing in the next few years?   Answer Question

Newsroom Editor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Business Wire.

Interview

They make you take a proofreading test that's pretty easy. Then they call to interview you and it's just three people with one of them reading questions off of a list. Questions are all really basic. I got the idea that no one was happy to be there and it made me NOT want the job.

Interview Questions

• All standard. Some of the canned questions were badly worded and the obviously inexperienced interviewer fumbled over a few of them. "What's your biggest weakness?"   1 Answer