C.H. Robinson Worldwide Transportation Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated May 13, 2015

2.8

Transportation Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at C.H. Robinson Worldwide.

Interview

The job posting title indicated it was a January start so the process was pretty quick since they were filling their class to start at the end of January. It took 4 business days to receive an email about the initial phone interview, the phone interview then took place the next day and the in-person interview 2 days after the phone interview. The phone interview took approximately 30min and consisted of basic questions about my resume and what I was looking for in a company. The standard stuff for a phone screening/interview. The in-person interview was approximately 4 hrs long. The Chicago Central office is located in the Lincoln Park neighborhood, which is nice but there isn't a convenient way of reaching it by public transport from where I live so I drove myself and had to pay-to-park in a garage located a few blocks away (surprisingly it wasn't THAT expensive). Upon checking in at the front desk I waited patiently for the scheduled time to arrive (ALWAYS get to your interview early to scope out the place) while checking out the decor and information posted on the walls about the company. The scheduled time arrived and I met the HR rep that would be conducting my interview. The rep started with a basic introduction of the company in PowerPoint form and then showed me around the facility on the way to the second part of the interview. The second part of the interview was broken into two parts and involved me "shadowing" a sales rep on both the carrier side and the customer side of the business. Unfortunately for me, that day was "slow" according to both sales reps that I shadowed so I couldn't get a real good feel of the day-to-day operations. Since it was a slow day and I wasn't able to see how everything worked I didn't have any 'good' questions to ask except for basic stuff like "how do you like the hours/how long have you worked here for/how do you like working for the company". The third part of my interview involved me meeting with one of the instructors in charge of training the new sales reps. This part of the interview seemed the most 'normal' meaning that it was a higher up that had my resume in-hand asking me questions on my work history, why they should hire me,etc. The final part of the interview involved some role-playing with me being given a sheet of paper with a background and info about a fictional company and a goal of selling the fictional product to the buyer. This part was conducted with the original HR rep that I met with and another member of the hiring team/manager. I thanked everyone throughout the day for their time and consideration and ended the interview approximately 4 hrs after I arrived. Received a standard "we have decided to proceed with another candidate email" on Monday morning the following week. Disappointed, yes, but glad that the company actually let me know I wasn't being considered further since there are plenty of companies that won't be courteous enough to tell you.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is more important to you: money or a job title? Q: Why should we hire you instead of one of the other candidates?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for C.H. Robinson Worldwide

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at C.H. Robinson Worldwide (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Very friendly and helpful. Allowed me to stay for an additional hour and shadow a couple employees. Was unsure about the company until the interview and after it I was dying to get the job.

Interview Questions

• 1. Moments where I have faced a problem and how I adapted. 2. What are my strengths/weaknesses   Answer Question

Transportation Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at C.H. Robinson Worldwide in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and I was contacted within about 3 days after applying. I was very excited about the job and I studied everything about the company. I used: Forbes, glassdoor, their company website, about me section and I even studied with big interview software. I aced the first interview. I was offered a second interview. I came into the office and its almost as soon as the representative I had been speaking with saw me it started to go downhill. I feel like I answered all of the behavioral questions exceptional well, as I had thought about all my answers previously. After that, it was a sales pitch of which I sold paper to them and I feel like still I did a good job seeing as I had only 20 minutes to learn about the product, back-story and write and memorize a pitch. When I got into the sales pitch, the man had his arms folded and barely looked at me. It was so standoffish. I knew after all those signs that I would not be offered a position.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. I studied and I was well prepared.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at C.H. Robinson Worldwide (Eden Prairie, MN).

Interview

Consisted of a phone interview with very broad institutional based questions, then a panel interview for an hour and thirty minutes with two supervisors, and then a shadow interview day where I sat with a team member then had a one on one interview with the branch manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at C.H. Robinson Worldwide (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I first had a campus interview and then a final interview at the office. I sat on the sales floor which was nice to see what I would be doing in the job all day. Then I had an interview with a recruiter, and then a mock sales pitch with managers. Lots of behavioral based questions - pretty typical. Everyone I met was really nice and welcoming though. Recruiter and managers were very laid back and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• I had to talk about a time I exceeded goals that were set for me by a boss   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at C.H. Robinson Worldwide (Atlanta, GA) in September 2014.

Interview

I met the hiring representative at a career expo on campus and was offered an interview the following morning. The woman was really nice to the point that I felt more like I was having coffee with a girlfriend than having an interview. Questions were very basic with not a lot of critical thinking involved. I was immediately offered a second interview at their headquarters. The second interview also went well. The same woman greeted me, then I shadowed one of the managers and he answered any questions I had. I then had the interview with the first rep and an additional hiring rep. He basically asked the same questions over again and we talked about my resume. Everyone was very friendly and it was pretty stress free compared to other interviews I've had.

Transportation Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at C.H. Robinson Worldwide.

Interview

First step was a basic phone interview that was roughly 30 minutes. Essentially the interview was explaining your resume as well as some situational questions. After the phone interview I was invited back for a second interview where I met with a manager and a supervisor for a 2.5 hour interview at the location. Again, we went over my resume as well as some behavioral questions (more than the phone interview) but, went into much more detail regarding the position itself. The final step was a job shadow in which it gave you a hands on idea of the position you are interviewing for. Overall the process took approximately 4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell when there was a time where you had to deal with an unpleasant customer and how did you handle the situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at C.H. Robinson Worldwide (Chicago, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

Phone interview followed up by a 4 hour interview at the company. Consisted of shadowing 2 employees for a half hour each. Then interviews with multiple people, one of which where they had you sell them something Impromtu

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didnt try negotiating.

Transportation Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at C.H. Robinson Worldwide.

Interview

The whole process took about two weeks. I started with an on-campus interview following a career fair through my university. That passed me on to a branch interview with the sales manager and VP. The screening interview is incredibly standard. 30min fact finding and going over my resume. The branch interview is separated into three parts. The initial panel of back and forth scenario type questions, more resume questions, and behavioral. After that it's a tour around the floor and some one-on-one time with one or two different sales reps on the floor getting to know the ins and outs of their jobs. After that it's back to the panel for follow up questions which are more or less "what did you learn" and "do you still want to work here" type questions.

Interview Questions

• Very simple interview process - most "difficult" questions are scenario style involving a task you would complete on the job.   Answer Question

Transportation Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at C.H. Robinson Worldwide.

Interview

For a formal interview, with an HR recruiter, it felt relaxed.

Interview Questions

• "A time where you had to work with a team" "How competitive are you?"   Answer Question