C&S Wholesale Grocers Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014
Updated Sep 8, 2014

2.5

Associate Buyer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at C&S Wholesale Grocers in September 2014.

Was contacted though Linkden and had a phone conversation with a HR manager to explain the job role. Didn't get into much detail once I said I wasn't interested in moving right away.

Interview Questions

It was out of state. They have centralized buying, which I don't find as efficient.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Keene, NH

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at C&S Wholesale Grocers in May 2014.

Phone interview from a friendly person in HR. I was asked a number of questions about my background, experiences, and skills. The interview felt more like a placement interview than a filtering interview, though that may have been just the skill of the interviewer since I was not offered a job in the end. She was careful to ask me about what things I would be interested to do, describe the job in great detail, and tell me about things like salary, company environment, etc.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing difficult or unexpected asked. Everything was a question I had heard before from somewhere else. All very straightforward.   Answer Question

Entry Level Rotational Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Keene, NH

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at C&S Wholesale Grocers.

Did an in person interview first at my university through recruiting, then was offered to travel to the company to interview there in a full day interview. Overall experience was great. I felt like the questions weren't that hard if you were qualified for the job and are interested in the position.

Interview Questions
    • The case study. It wasn't really difficult, but I didn't really expect it. They just want to hear your thought process through the entire thing.   Answer Question

Selector Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Aberdeen, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at C&S Wholesale Grocers.

The hiring process is the easy part. If you can get your foot in the door, the thing you have to prove is if you can do it. And this is something you should strive to prove to yourself, not the supervisors. that way, it will shine though. they will acknowledge you if you're good at it. the interview is the same. but its also a walk-through. this way you could determine for yourself if you're capable of handling the work.

Strategic Sourcing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hatfield, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at C&S Wholesale Grocers in April 2014.

I had a phone interview first for this entry level position, then an in-person interview with the woman who would be my boss, then another second-round interview with the Director. They offered me the job at a hilariously low salary, one that was $10,000 lower than the industry average for this type of position (and I spent weeks researching this) I made a counter offer that was $3,500 higher than their original figure, and they basically told me they had plenty of other recent college grad candidates who would be thrilled to work for what they were offering, and then they rescinded my offer. Bottom line-terrible company who knows college kids are desperate for jobs. HR was also extremely unprofessional; not returning emails or phone calls and waited a week and a half to get back to me after they said they would call the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have a lot of friends? (yes, they really asked me this.)   Answer Question

clearly this company doesn't care about getting quality employees and just wants to find people that are willing to work for way less that what they are worth.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Keene, NH

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at C&S Wholesale Grocers in March 2013.

I connected with a Sr Recruiter by one of our mutual connections on Linkedin who introduce us. I talked with the Sr Recruiter a few days later by scheduled call and was invited onsite a few days later

Very quick - transparent - they answered all my questions

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Keene, NH

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at C&S Wholesale Grocers in November 2011.

Talked to a recruiter at Career Fair on campus - gave him my resume and was asked for on-campus interview. Completed campus interview and invited to on-site interview in Keene.

Flown into Hartford airport and rented car to drive to Keene. The night before interviews there will be a dinner with current BAs to talk about the experience (they say that it has no bearing on the interview process, but that's not wholly true). The next day you will go to a house near the corporate headquarters and have 3 one-on-one or two-on-one interviews, after which you will tour the corporate HQ and then drive to one of their warehouses to tour.

I received my offer ~1 week later.

Interview Questions
    • Question in on-campus interview question (about Senior Design experience):

"Why is it optimal to place fast-moving SKUs nearest to the doors?"

Everything else in all interview stages was behavioral, all standard interview questions.
        View Answer
    There is no negotiation. They will not budge on their offer.

Shipping Clerk DSA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Malden, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malden, MA

interviewed at C&S Wholesale Grocers in June 2012.

Really simple interview, most people they hire for this position are inexperienced.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, i received the maximum dollar amount.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Keene, NH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at C&S Wholesale Grocers in February 2014.

-Basic phone interview with no abnormal questions.
    -Received a call a day later for an in person interview. Interviewed a couple days later with two senior buyers. Normal interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary. Formal but relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions just express interest in the company itself   Answer Question
    I was happy with my offer.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Keene, NH

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at C&S Wholesale Grocers in November 2012.

Interviewing process was quick once you recive the first call. It can take a bit of time from when you apply to actually speaking to someone on the phone or in person.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions are behavior based to see how you think on your feet, how and if you can solve problems and general background/experience questions.   Answer Question
    There was not much room for negotiation. I would try but they have their set guidelines as to what they will offer/pay.

Worked for C&S Wholesale Grocers? Contribute to the Community!