CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading)

www.caeonline.com
Engaged Employer

CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) Interview Questions

Updated Feb 17, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Be warned this is a "sales job"(prospecting, qualifying, closing deals as though you were car salesman)--they're trying to recruit people from financial services because they know they are used to working a lot of hours and are intelligent. They will try to wow you with this idea you can easily make 400k a year--as we all know that is not easy in any sales environment. Very disorganized process if you are coming from an elite company or top tier firm--I don't think their HR knows how to handle the recruitment and candidate process.

Initial call with HR, phone interview with Director of Trading, multi day "super day" style interview--you will receive no schedule for these interviews and it will most likely be very disorganized--you'll be lucky if you have a confirmed time to arrive for the interview within 24 hours of the scheduled interview date. As a mid-career candidate, I felt the interview process was geared toward new analysts (i.e. first job out of college style super days). The general culture is fairly egotistical and definitely strikes me as a boiler room mentality, however, the team must realize that for a candidate coming from a top tier firm (in my case a bulge bracket Wall Street firm), one will not be purely impressed at where someone went to school. During the on-site interview they have you take a logic and personality test--this is new, so most of their employees have never taken this test and probably wouldn't pass it. They have you do this "valuation exercise"--they give you access to their system with minimal information and you have to put at value on 3 different products using past sales and current sales data mainly. I happened to ask a question during this due to my unfamiliarity with system, to be met with a snide smirk and remark from someone who seemed to think he is smarter than the rest of the world because he went to an ivy for undergrad--unimpressed. Also, coming from finance this is nothing like doing a dcf valuation or bond valuation, so don't be confused.

The positives would be some of the traders seem like personable and intelligent individuals and the CEO and President both seem like they're intelligent and savvy.

Following the lack of organization and respect for me as a candidate in the process, I emailed the HR director to express my dissatisfaction with the process, which was met with a response from the CEO where he apologized for the lack of professionalism by the HR director.

I would just warn one to be very cautious with this company--seems as though they could be in a niche, however, you will need to weigh out the positives with the negatives.

Interview Questions

• How many windows are in downtown Austin? If you have a jug with 3 gallons and a jug with 5 gallons, how do you get exactly 4 gallons in the 5 gallon jug?   1 Answer

Trader Interview

Interview

Long interview process because of many applicants. But there is super high turn over.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much.

Trader Interview

Interview

Extremely Fast. Conducted phone interview, heard back one week later, final round interview the following week. Received offer 30 minutes after final interview.

Capital Asset Trader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading).

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me. I hated my previous job but I wasn't ready to jump ship yet. So I spoke with her and gathered some more information about the position, told her where I was at in terms of job search. She told me that if she were to move me forward, I had to be pretty serious about switching job. And that's how we left the conversation. Few months later, she reached out to me again and see if I'd changed my mind. I thought I should give it a shot. So I went through few more rounds of phone interviews then an in-person interview. The rest is history...I didn't expect the turnaround time was so quick.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through an example of buy/sell experience you'd had. (It's not so much the question that was unexpected, but the in-depth details they were looking for took me by surprise).   Answer Question

Capital Asset Trader Interview

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, phone screen with senior trader, in person (3 rounds, meet CEO), hired on the spot.

Capital Asset Trader
 Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) (San Mateo, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

I contacted a recruiter on LinkedIn with my interest in the company and my resume attached. The following day I was scheduled for an interview. The first interview was over the phone and consisted of speaking with the recruiter. She went over my resume with the typical behavior interview questions that were geared toward sales. It was clear that without strong monthly sales your job was on the line after two months.

When monthly sales incentives such as, driving a Ferrari for a day or getting a Rolex came up I felt a tacky, classless corporate culture associate with the firm. This position clearly had no transferable skills in the finance industry, as they don't even use PC's but Mac's instead.

Interview Questions

• What are the three characteristics of a good negotiator?   Answer Question

Liquids Market Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) (Redwood City, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

I was initially contacted via email and asked for a phone interview. The phone interview went well, and then I was asked to come in for a in-person interview. I was very surprised and really enjoyed the very straight forward form of communication. Right away it was clear to me that meritocracy is part of the culture, something I really enjoy.

Interview Questions

• If you were given a product to sell, what are the steps you would take to find an appropriate buyer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) (Redwood City, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and I received an email from a recruiter of my availability for a phone interview. After reading the reviews about the company I realized what they are exactly looking for. I've been worked for more than 10 years and I had interviews more than 30 times and this interview was one of the most HORRIBLE interviews that I have ever had. Based on my experience, the interview process is like a conversation, back and forth not only the interviewer asking questions and the interviewee answers and receives no feedback. Usually, both partners should engage in a conversation. The recruiter called 20 minutes late, she did not introduce herself, she did not explain ANYTHING about the company and the procedure and even at the end of half an hour she did not ask if I have any questions.

Questions were about my experiences in Sales and if I have ever sold an equipment only for PROFIT.

Thanks to the glassdoor and this experience I have decided not to follow up the second interview.

It seems the company is so immature. I wish them luck.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever sold an equipment/ticket/anything only for PROFIT? Explain!   Answer Question

Equipment Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) (Redwood City, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 3 rounds.

Rounds 1 and 2 were on the phone, and consisted of behavioral questions, going over previous work experience, sales experience, and reasons as to why you want to work at CAE.

Round 3 consisted of an excel test (basic cell formatting, adding borders, changing font colors/backgrounds, etc), and 2 in person interviews -- 1 with a trader, and 1 with the director of trading.The interview was similar to the previous 2 rounds -- questions on why you want to be a trader, what motivates you, and any sales experience you may have. As the job entails meeting monthly sales quotas, and making 30-40 calls/day, they want to make sure you are a good fit. Traders make an average of 1-2 deals a month. The term position "trader" is a bit misleading, as you aren't trading financial securities, but acting more as a market maker, bringing together buyers and sellers of equipment (IE: lasers, manufacturing equipment, etc) and making a commission the difference between the 2 parties.

Interview Questions

• If there was a car that was valued at $10,000, but selling for $5,000, how would you get the funds to complete this transaction?   2 Answers
    • You don't seem to have any sales experience (personal or work related), why do you think you would be a good fit for this job?   Answer Question

International Sales and Trading Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CAE (Capital Asset Exchange & Trading) (Redwood City, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

I submitted my resume to CAE through a friend of mine working with the company. The next day a member of the recruiting team emailed me to set up a phone interview.

On the phone interview I walked the gal through my resume and then answered 4 or 5 specific questions. What motivates you? Why do you want to work in sales? Why are you interested in leaving your current job? What is it that we do at CAE? There were also a few questions geared towards office culture, negotiation, and ultimately the ability to close a deal.

After the phone interview there were in person interviews with a trader and members of the executive team. There is an excel test, written Q & A test, and a personality test as well.

The process is quick and to the point and reflects the high pressure - fast paced workplace.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about finding an undervalued piece of equipment?   Answer Question
    • Where would you look for a buyer, for a tool you are selling?   Answer Question