CAL POLY

Updated Jan 15, 2015
Updated Jan 15, 2015

2.4

Director of Recruiting Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CAL POLY.

The process just to find out how my initial interviews went was a joke. It took six people over two months just to make a decision on whether or not to proceed. Perhaps the people that are there now in a management capacity have been there too long??? Not sure but I know this, they can't compete for top talent with the hiring process they have today. (and to blame it on the California State University System is comical)

Interview Questions
    • None, the interview questions were canned and read from a script.   Answer Question

The process was so bad that I can't see being happy working there, the money was low and the people seemed fairly unimpressive.

Student Assistant Interview

No questions, just into a department office and ask the front desk if there are any openings. I just had a conversation with the lady and she offered me the job. Depends on the department though!

Interview Questions
    • Just asked about background and experience. As I had no experience I couldn't really speak to that, but it didn't matter because you get all the training you need on the job.   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CAL POLY.

There was a very simple hiring process. I was recommended for the position by another student and met with the interviewer once, where it was decided that I was a good fit for the job. The most important qualifications were responsibility, availability, and respect.

Data Entry Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CAL POLY.

It was straightforward. Questions concerning knowledge of the job required. The questions were typical interview questions and none that caught me off guard. Overall, pretty simple and quick. Unfortunately, I did not get the job, but it was a pleasant experience.

Administrative Support Coordinator II Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CAL POLY in July 2014.

Received a call for an interview about 6 weeks after I applied but a week after review date. Interviewed with a panel of 4 people. I was asked 12 questions total including if I had any questions for the panel. The panel had to follow a script and could only ask follow up questions on the answers I gave. I was given a second interview 2 weeks after the first round. 2nd interviews were with the same panel. I did not hear back for weeks after the 2nd round even after attempting contact with the department.

Interview Questions
    • How do you prioritize your work? What is your experience with technology? Scenario question that involved what I would do in a situation with a deadline and students needing help at the same time.   View Answer

Student Assistant Interview

E-mailed a professor directly. Asked if I had ever graded before, which I hadn't but since I am an upperclassman, I've had experience within the department. Had a 1:1 interview and started work about a week later. Whole process took approximately 1 week.

Lecturer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CAL POLY.

My interview was done over the phone, I spoke to three faculty members for about 15 minutes. They asked me general questions like what my teaching philosophy is, what my long term goals are as an academic, and to describe to them how an average class of mine would go. They also asked if I used any in-class technologies like clickers, masteringphysics, or simulations.

Interview Questions
    • How do I deal with trouble makers, what's an example of a difficult situation in a classroom that I've handled, or a situation that I wish had gone better.   Answer Question
    Because this was a lecturer position, I was not able to negotiate a salary.

Admissions Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CAL POLY in November 2012.

Submit application online. Contacted for interview 6 weeks later. 4-person panel interview. 1 round.

Interview Questions
    none. completely locked in, with no room to negotiate.

Frontline Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CAL POLY in July 2012.

HR contacted me after I submitted my resume through Mustang Jobs. They scheduled a time to talk to me and called on time. The representative was very nice and asked me a bit about myself and was extremely supportive throughout the whole phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work with someone who was disagreeing with you   Answer Question
    No negociation

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at CAL POLY in April 2012.

Simple, 1 on 3 interview process from current employees