CAL POLY

Updated Sep 30, 2014
Updated Sep 30, 2014

2.4

Office Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CAL POLY.

There was a very simple hiring process. I was recommended for the position by another student and met with the interviewer once, where it was decided that I was a good fit for the job. The most important qualifications were responsibility, availability, and respect.

Data Entry Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CAL POLY.

It was straightforward. Questions concerning knowledge of the job required. The questions were typical interview questions and none that caught me off guard. Overall, pretty simple and quick. Unfortunately, I did not get the job, but it was a pleasant experience.

Administrative Support Coordinator II Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CAL POLY in July 2014.

Received a call for an interview about 6 weeks after I applied but a week after review date. Interviewed with a panel of 4 people. I was asked 12 questions total including if I had any questions for the panel. The panel had to follow a script and could only ask follow up questions on the answers I gave. I was given a second interview 2 weeks after the first round. 2nd interviews were with the same panel. I did not hear back for weeks after the 2nd round even after attempting contact with the department.

Interview Questions
    • How do you prioritize your work? What is your experience with technology? Scenario question that involved what I would do in a situation with a deadline and students needing help at the same time.   View Answer

Student Assistant Interview

E-mailed a professor directly. Asked if I had ever graded before, which I hadn't but since I am an upperclassman, I've had experience within the department. Had a 1:1 interview and started work about a week later. Whole process took approximately 1 week.

Lecturer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CAL POLY.

My interview was done over the phone, I spoke to three faculty members for about 15 minutes. They asked me general questions like what my teaching philosophy is, what my long term goals are as an academic, and to describe to them how an average class of mine would go. They also asked if I used any in-class technologies like clickers, masteringphysics, or simulations.

Interview Questions
    • How do I deal with trouble makers, what's an example of a difficult situation in a classroom that I've handled, or a situation that I wish had gone better.   Answer Question
    Because this was a lecturer position, I was not able to negotiate a salary.

Admissions Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CAL POLY in November 2012.

Submit application online. Contacted for interview 6 weeks later. 4-person panel interview. 1 round.

Interview Questions
    none. completely locked in, with no room to negotiate.

Frontline Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CAL POLY in July 2012.

HR contacted me after I submitted my resume through Mustang Jobs. They scheduled a time to talk to me and called on time. The representative was very nice and asked me a bit about myself and was extremely supportive throughout the whole phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work with someone who was disagreeing with you   Answer Question
    No negociation

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at CAL POLY in April 2012.

Simple, 1 on 3 interview process from current employees

Student IT Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at CAL POLY in June 2011.

There was a five step process. First they asked questions, second gave a tour at the location, third asked to circle important blocks from a flow diagram, fourth diagram on a computer, and fifth more question. I assumed that it will be a simple interview, but it was more technical. I will recommend to research information about the requirements prior to the interview.

Interview Questions
    • If you are allow to brag about yourself, how will you like us to remember you?   View Answer

Grants Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CAL POLY in June 2011.

Fast response to my application online; great communication with the director of the division - from first phone call to the actual interview. It was a group panel with the entire group interviewing (six people) - which is great to determine if the applicant is a good fit with the rest of the group. The group seemed to have a great working relationship with each other.

Interview Questions
    • What was my experience with new technology   Answer Question
    • If presented with several "important" projects from different managers, how do you prioritize your work?   Answer Question