CAL Poly

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Student Assistant Interview

Interviewed at CAL Poly

Interview Details – E-mailed a professor directly. Asked if I had ever graded before, which I hadn't but since I am an upperclassman, I've had experience within the department. Had a 1:1 interview and started work about a week later. Whole process took approximately 1 week.

Interview Question – What extracurriculars was I involved in.   Answer Question

Admissions Officer Interview

San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at CAL Poly in November 2012.

Interview Details – Submit application online. Contacted for interview 6 weeks later. 4-person panel interview. 1 round.

Interview Question – 2 minute admissions presentation on Cal Poly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none. completely locked in, with no room to negotiate.

Lecturer Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at CAL Poly.

Interview Details – My interview was done over the phone, I spoke to three faculty members for about 15 minutes. They asked me general questions like what my teaching philosophy is, what my long term goals are as an academic, and to describe to them how an average class of mine would go. They also asked if I used any in-class technologies like clickers, masteringphysics, or simulations.

Interview Question – How do I deal with trouble makers, what's an example of a difficult situation in a classroom that I've handled, or a situation that I wish had gone better.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Because this was a lecturer position, I was not able to negotiate a salary.

Web Designer Interview

San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CAL Poly in April 2012.

Interview Details – Simple, 1 on 3 interview process from current employees

Interview Question – What does Design mean to you?   Answer Question

Frontline Assistant Interview

San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CAL Poly in July 2012.

Interview Details – HR contacted me after I submitted my resume through Mustang Jobs. They scheduled a time to talk to me and called on time. The representative was very nice and asked me a bit about myself and was extremely supportive throughout the whole phone interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to work with someone who was disagreeing with you   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negociation

Grants Development Coordinator Interview

San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CAL Poly in June 2011.

Interview Details – Fast response to my application online; great communication with the director of the division - from first phone call to the actual interview. It was a group panel with the entire group interviewing (six people) - which is great to determine if the applicant is a good fit with the rest of the group. The group seemed to have a great working relationship with each other.

Interview Questions

• What was my experience with new technology   Answer Question
  • If presented with several "important" projects from different managers, how do you prioritize your work?   Answer Question

Student IT Tech Interview

Student IT Tech
San Luis Obispo, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at CAL Poly in June 2011.

Interview Details – There was a five step process. First they asked questions, second gave a tour at the location, third asked to circle important blocks from a flow diagram, fourth diagram on a computer, and fifth more question. I assumed that it will be a simple interview, but it was more technical. I will recommend to research information about the requirements prior to the interview.

Interview Question – If you are allow to brag about yourself, how will you like us to remember you?   View Answer

SWS Facilitator Interview

San Luis Obispo, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at CAL Poly in March 2009.

Interview Details – It was a very fast process! The interviewer is the head of the program and she asked very pertinent questions. If you are worried about the requirements after interviewing, the job is not for you. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to run a workshop.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you have struggled to overcome an obstacle. How do you do it?   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Student Assistant
San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at CAL Poly in March 2009.

Interview Details – I met with the Support Admin for the Biology department. It was a very brief interview; she went over my resume with me and asked about my class schedule. I was hired the next day. The atmosphere is very laid back. I dropped off my resume the same day as my interview so I was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. I am no longer working there because of budget cuts. Being a student assistant was one of the best jobs I could have had while being a college student. They were SUPER flexible with my hours and would allow me to take time off if I needed more study time.

Interview Question – What type of office experience do you have?   Answer Question

Emergency Clerical Pool Interview

San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at CAL Poly in June 2010.

Interview Details – The actual time between being called for a phone interview and panel interview was less than a week. My application had been in the Cal Poly system since March and it is a continuous application that you may be called for temporary positions. This position (in the housing department) will be hiring for full time in fall, this was just a summer appointment. the first phone interview was quite short and with the person who's position I would be covering while she was out. The actual interview was with a panel of three who would be co-workers and supervisors. The interview was informal and no-stress and jovial. There were a total of 10 job specific questions asked by the panel after the introductory period of the interview.

I felt the aesthetics of the office were very nice and new. The people I met during the interview process were very nice and friendly and I could immediately see myself working with a group like them. The work culture seemed to be more relaxed than a corporate office but still effective in getting work done in a timely manner.

Interview Questions

• Detail a situation where important information needed to be conveyed to an audience and it was your duty to convey that information. What do you do, how do you do it, what process do you take to properly convey the message. Give a specific example from your work history.   Answer Question
  • Describe how you deal with and protect sensitive information. Give an example from your work history.   Answer Question
  • Discuss knowledge of Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Email programs, graphic programs. Give examples of use from your work history.   Answer Question
  • Discuss experience with working teams, good and bad, and how to work with a team member who is not performing. Give example from work history.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They pay was quite low for my qualifications and just a bit higher than my unemployment benefits. I had other prospects in the works with pay commensurate with my experience. This position was only for 90 days with no benefits. It was also an 8-5 M-F position with occasional evenings and weekends that would make it difficult to pursue opportunities to line up after this position was finished. Bottom line, the short term pay was not worth the risk of missing out on a higher paying opportunity.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for CAL Poly? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CAL Poly interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by CAL Poly employees and interview candidates.