CARFAX Interview Questions

Updated Aug 9, 2014

3.2

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centreville, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CARFAX in July 2014.

I replied to an ad online. I did a video interview which is interesting. The set up was fairly simple but it felt strange talking on camera. I was contacted by Delphine Hall in HR to set up an in person intrrview with 3 managers. The interview questions were fairly standard. The process seems to be focussed on determining whether or not you are a good personality fit for the team. Interviews are always stressful but everyone tries to put you at ease. Overall a pleasant experience. Even though I did not receive an offer I am impressed with the organization as a whole and Delphine Hall in particular. She was extremely responsive and really seems to love her job. She helped everyone relax before the interview and provided excellent feedback after the interview.

Fun Guru Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at CARFAX in April 2012.

Received notice of their interview process and provided three business days to do a video interview. The instructions for loading the software wasn't easy and then you were only allowed one or two practice questions to ensure the software would work. The questions were timed and didn't leave much time between the questions.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected- What's the first thing you do when you get to the office?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centreville, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at CARFAX.

HR Recruiter phone interview, followed by the supervisor phone interview. Almost 6 hours of interviews on-site included panel interview with co-workers, facilitating an exercise related to the position, and more 1 or 2 person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The exercise scenario was vague, which, in retrospect, lets the applicant push it to their own limits.   Answer Question
    They didn't budge much on money after the initial offer; they touted the bonus plan and the culture as the reasons.

Field Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CARFAX.

Looks like they have place holder positions posted on their website. There wasn't an urgency to hire. First step was to apply on their website. HR/Recruiting manager was very professional and provided good feedback throughout the process. First step was a phone screen by recruiter, second step was a phone interview by hiring manager. After that a video interview was set up with the Director of Sales.

Interview Questions
    • No curve ball questions. Asked for examples regarding past experiences regarding sales process, resolving customer issues, dealership structure. Managers and recruiter are very proud of CARFAX accomplishments.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CARFAX.

Gave recruiter my resume at campus career fair. He contacted me within the week, and sent me a link to complete an recorded video interview. The video interview consisted of a mixture of technical and behavioral questions. None were too difficult for even a relatively unexperienced CS student. I think I was just thrown off by the recorded video interview, it was just different than anything I had done before. But I learned from it and will move on! Maybe next year.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CARFAX.

I applied online and did a video-recorded webcam interview (pretty annoying, pro tip change your browser plug-in settings to "click to play"), 30 seconds to prepare each answer and 3 minutes to answer. Questions:

Why do you want to work at Carfax?
    How would your peers and coworkers describe you?
    Describe your ideal work environment.
    Give an example of a polymorphism.
    What is the most difficult programming project you have worked on?
    If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

Phone interview with the HR person:

Describe your ideal work environment.
    Asked about previous pay, and how much I asked for at Carfax.
    Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    Other forgettable questions, mostly just feeling me out, conversation. Talk about your experience.
    Do you have any questions for us?

Phone interview with the Dev team:

You have a vehicle with id and vin, and make with id and name. Describe how you would implement a restful service to perform CRUD.
    Describe how you would represent them in a database.
    Describe how you would use SQL to find all Ford vehicles.

Describe the difference between an interface and an abstract class.
    When would you use each one?

Describe MVC.
    Where would you do form validation?

Why would you normalize tables in a database?
    When wouldn't you normalize tables in a database?

Describe your ideal work environment. (They reeeally want to know about my ideal work environment.)
    Let's say I'm putting together a development team. Why should I pick you to be on it?
    Do you work best alone or in a team?
    Are you familiar with Extreme Programming?
    If you notice that a coworker is not living up to his/her potential, how would you handle that situation?

How would you describe your current position?
    Describe your work at your last job.
    Why do you want to work at Carfax?
    Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?

What are you going to do with the rest of your day?
    You wake up and the whole day is yours, what do you do?
    What kind of books do you like to read?

Describe a pet peeve of yours.
    What question do you wish we had asked?
    Do you have any questions for us?

Was not offered the on-site all-day interview.

Software Developer Interview

1. Behavioral interview. They just want to see that you can communicate well.
    2. Technical interview. Questions about OOP, abstract classes vs. interfaces, and database structures. Also some object instantiation.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centreville, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CARFAX in April 2011.

Good Process. Phone interview by HR. Next, phone interview with hiring manager. Then, in person with hiring manager's manager. Offer set a week later. No silly test or goofy questions.

Interview Questions
    • Real questions based on pass work experiences and the like.   Answer Question
    No opportunity. I attempted but was quickly closed down by HR. So, make sure you express you $$$ amount.

Software Developer Interview

Phone screening then an all day on-site interview. Face-to-face with the two directors, then face-to-face with two departments, lunch, coding pair-in session with a developer from each department.

UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centreville, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at CARFAX in October 2009.

first interview was extensive--I think they showed me around the office first then i met with my supervisor. then about 4-5 hours of introducing myself to maybe 4-5 people in a big conference room. I presented my work and shared my input on what i thought of their current site. I was given a weekend homework assignment to design and develop what i thought would be an accurate representation of what the home page could possibly be. They gave me a handout of marketing assets that would help me create the experience they were looking for. It was fun given the short amount of time. On my 2nd interview i presented them my design and explained why i chose the direction that i went with. it lasted i think for 1-2 hours. I thought it didn't go well so i assumed i didn't get the opportunity.

Their process has changed-- Candidates will be given an interview via web video chat.

Interview Questions
    • I can't recall. it was on the fly. They were all pretty new to me in the realm of marketing.   Answer Question
    it was a longer than i have had hoped it to be. But it worked out!

Worked for CARFAX? Contribute to the Community!