CARFAX

22 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fun Guru Interview

Fun Guru

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at CARFAX in April 2012.

Interview Details – Received notice of their interview process and provided three business days to do a video interview. The instructions for loading the software wasn't easy and then you were only allowed one or two practice questions to ensure the software would work. The questions were timed and didn't leave much time between the questions.

Interview Question – Unexpected- What's the first thing you do when you get to the office?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Centreville, VA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at CARFAX.

Interview Details – HR Recruiter phone interview, followed by the supervisor phone interview. Almost 6 hours of interviews on-site included panel interview with co-workers, facilitating an exercise related to the position, and more 1 or 2 person interviews.

Interview Question – The exercise scenario was vague, which, in retrospect, lets the applicant push it to their own limits.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They didn't budge much on money after the initial offer; they touted the bonus plan and the culture as the reasons.

Field Sales Consultant Interview

Field Sales Consultant
Sacramento, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CARFAX.

Interview Details – Looks like they have place holder positions posted on their website. There wasn't an urgency to hire. First step was to apply on their website. HR/Recruiting manager was very professional and provided good feedback throughout the process. First step was a phone screen by recruiter, second step was a phone interview by hiring manager. After that a video interview was set up with the Director of Sales.

Interview Question – No curve ball questions. Asked for examples regarding past experiences regarding sales process, resolving customer issues, dealership structure. Managers and recruiter are very proud of CARFAX accomplishments.   View Answer

Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CARFAX.

Interview Details – Gave recruiter my resume at campus career fair. He contacted me within the week, and sent me a link to complete an recorded video interview. The video interview consisted of a mixture of technical and behavioral questions. None were too difficult for even a relatively unexperienced CS student. I think I was just thrown off by the recorded video interview, it was just different than anything I had done before. But I learned from it and will move on! Maybe next year.

Interview Question – What is polymorphism?   Answer Question

Software Developer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CARFAX.

Interview Details – I applied online and did a video-recorded webcam interview (pretty annoying, pro tip change your browser plug-in settings to "click to play"), 30 seconds to prepare each answer and 3 minutes to answer. Questions:

Why do you want to work at Carfax?
How would your peers and coworkers describe you?
Describe your ideal work environment.
Give an example of a polymorphism.
What is the most difficult programming project you have worked on?
If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

Phone interview with the HR person:

Describe your ideal work environment.
Asked about previous pay, and how much I asked for at Carfax.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Other forgettable questions, mostly just feeling me out, conversation. Talk about your experience.
Do you have any questions for us?

Phone interview with the Dev team:

You have a vehicle with id and vin, and make with id and name. Describe how you would implement a restful service to perform CRUD.
Describe how you would represent them in a database.
Describe how you would use SQL to find all Ford vehicles.

Describe the difference between an interface and an abstract class.
When would you use each one?

Describe MVC.
Where would you do form validation?

Why would you normalize tables in a database?
When wouldn't you normalize tables in a database?

Describe your ideal work environment. (They reeeally want to know about my ideal work environment.)
Let's say I'm putting together a development team. Why should I pick you to be on it?
Do you work best alone or in a team?
Are you familiar with Extreme Programming?
If you notice that a coworker is not living up to his/her potential, how would you handle that situation?

How would you describe your current position?
Describe your work at your last job.
Why do you want to work at Carfax?
Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?

What are you going to do with the rest of your day?
You wake up and the whole day is yours, what do you do?
What kind of books do you like to read?

Describe a pet peeve of yours.
What question do you wish we had asked?
Do you have any questions for us?

Was not offered the on-site all-day interview.

Interviewed at CARFAX

Interview Details – 1. Behavioral interview. They just want to see that you can communicate well.
2. Technical interview. Questions about OOP, abstract classes vs. interfaces, and database structures. Also some object instantiation.

Interview Question – None. Very run-of-the-mill.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Centreville, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CARFAX in April 2011.

Interview Details – Good Process. Phone interview by HR. Next, phone interview with hiring manager. Then, in person with hiring manager's manager. Offer set a week later. No silly test or goofy questions.

Interview Question – Real questions based on pass work experiences and the like.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No opportunity. I attempted but was quickly closed down by HR. So, make sure you express you $$$ amount.

Interviewed at CARFAX

Interview Details – Phone screening then an all day on-site interview. Face-to-face with the two directors, then face-to-face with two departments, lunch, coding pair-in session with a developer from each department.

UI Designer Interview

UI Designer
Centreville, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at CARFAX in October 2009.

Interview Details – first interview was extensive--I think they showed me around the office first then i met with my supervisor. then about 4-5 hours of introducing myself to maybe 4-5 people in a big conference room. I presented my work and shared my input on what i thought of their current site. I was given a weekend homework assignment to design and develop what i thought would be an accurate representation of what the home page could possibly be. They gave me a handout of marketing assets that would help me create the experience they were looking for. It was fun given the short amount of time. On my 2nd interview i presented them my design and explained why i chose the direction that i went with. it lasted i think for 1-2 hours. I thought it didn't go well so i assumed i didn't get the opportunity.

Their process has changed-- Candidates will be given an interview via web video chat.

Interview Question – I can't recall. it was on the fly. They were all pretty new to me in the realm of marketing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – it was a longer than i have had hoped it to be. But it worked out!

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Centreville, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CARFAX in March 2011.

Interview Details – Got a phone call from a recruiter but then, spent a few weeks going back and forth due to an HR issue.
Then things moved very quickly- had a marathon 4 hr interview and follow up phone interviews. All went great! There are great people there who are very competent and smart.

Interview Question – None, i felt that the position was perfect and a natural,fit for me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at CARFAX

Worked for CARFAX? Contribute to the Community!