CARFAX Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015

3.2

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CARFAX (Columbia, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

The process involved two rounds. The first round is kind of like a screening where you take a online test. It has around 10 multiple choices about basic Java knowledge, and then 4 coding problems that require you to solve. The coding problems are about the same level as ACM competitions. After the screening phase it is the on-site interview. You get interviewed by two panels of people and about 3-4 people on each panel. They are all very nice and friendly. The whole in-person interview took about an hour for me.

Interview Questions

• An instance to demonstrate problem solving skills. Behavioral questions.   Answer Question
    • What is OOD? What is private, public and protected? Basic java questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CARFAX.

Interview

Received emailed request for phone interview, then had phone interview with HR. Next interview was a recorded video interview, and the final interview was in person. Everyone I encountered was very pleasant.

Interview Questions

• The recorded video itself can be unsettling if you are not used to this type of communication. All questions were fairly easy and none were unexpected.   Answer Question

Support Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CARFAX (Centreville, VA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online and within days had a phone interview and that was followed up with an interview the next day. The two people I met with were nice and shared a lot of great information about where the company was headed. There were going to be some procedural changes and it can be a benefit to learn as a department and not play catch up. I was told the next step was an interview with a C level executive, overall it went well, they don't bother the guy i the office with a bad candidate. I sent my thank you emails and followed up and then waited and waited and then waited some more. It was like having a really good date and never hearing from them again. There was so much communication in the beginning and then nothing. Bad form on their part not to even reply, I deserved at least a "We're just not that into email or call or text". As much as I want to work at CarFax, the lack of response has left a bad impression with me.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CARFAX (Columbia, MO) in October 2014.

Interview

1.) Initial Phone Interview screening with HR. Very easy going and laid back. The HR rep was really good to talk with.

2.) The HR interview went well so she set me up with a Technical Phone Screening with both development groups. 2 separate phone calls, both lasted a little less than 1 hour. Standard technical questions that anybody in Object Oriented development should know. Also several behavior questions and how you interact with people. How you would handle certain situations, etc.

3.) Made it past those so I was offered an on-site interview. It was an all day process ( 8 - 4:30 ). One of the development groups was the first half of the day, the other group was the second half. Each group consisted of the following:
            a - 30 minute interview with a manager.
            b - 1.5 hr paired programming session with a developer.
            c - 20 minute break
            d - 1 hr team panel interview with a manager and 4 developers.
            e - 30 minute interview with 3 managers.

It was a difficult interview because it was an all-day process, constantly meeting new people, being evaluated, etc. But in retrospect everybody was laid back and easy going. Even though this is a formal interview process, they tried to make it as informal as possible.

Even though it was stressful it was a positive experience. From the very beginning everyone I came in contact with was courteous and friendly. I was waiting outside before 8:00 and a manager walked up from the parking lot, asked me if I had been helped yet. Told her I was waiting for an interview. She told me to come in, asked me if I needed water or coffee or anything. Very hospitable. Same thing happened when the HR rep came in. That really set the stage for the whole day. Developers and managers alike treated me that way throughout the day. I never felt like an 'outsider' even though I was. The first group even took me out to lunch.

What was most impressive was the culture. If you want to be a developer, learn new technologies, and truly utilize and grow those skillsets, my impression is that this is the place to be. Very flat organization, they don't seem to be wrapped up on titles. Every Friday you get personal time to learn new technologies, etc. Whatever you choose. Got a genuine sense that people really love working there.

I now understand why the interviewing process is so involved,... they want to protect the work environment / culture. Teams are self governing. They can choose what technologies they want to work on, make their own decisions, etc. There's a true passion there for the work they do.

Every interview session allowed me to ask questions. Each session I asked every person interviewing me why they stayed there. The answer was consistently "the people and the culture". They have a good thing going there... other companies need to see how they do it.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected - If you could be an animal, what would it be?   1 Answer

Director of Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CARFAX (Reston, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Recruiter contacted me within about 5-7 days and arranged for a brief phone screen. After the phone screen - I was asked to do a video interview - where you log onto a website and they give you 4 written questions to answer. You response is recorded and reviewed by the hiring manager. i've never done one before - but I prepared for it. (it's an excellent tool for recruiting, not sure why everyone doesn't use this video interview tool) Think about the various questions that they will ask you and prepare your answers - also helps to do a practice video session using mobile device. if you've never done a video interview (which is probably most people) - it really helps to practice. I'm glad I did. the feedback on the video interview was very positive..

Interview Questions

• What has been your agile development leadership experience - size of team, duration, types of projects, etc.   Answer Question

Regional Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CARFAX (Portland, OR) in August 2014.

Interview

The most detailed and informative interview process I have ever had the opportunity to be part of. The recruiter was easy to work with and layed out the timeline and the expections for the process upfront. We created a great repore and she had my best interests at heart.

Interview Questions

• The video interview request was very intimadating, but challenging in the same.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Everything was very upfront and clear, negotiations were very cut and dry.

Regional Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CARFAX in August 2014.

Interview

Extensive interview process. Phone, video and face to face. They definitely do their homework to make sure you're the right fit. Panel interview at the end of the process.

Interview Questions

• No real unexpected questions. Typical in many ways but they were looking for more in depth responses.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Simple and straightforward. Great overall package, not worth the back and forth for a few more bucks.

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CARFAX (Centreville, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

I replied to an ad online. I did a video interview which is interesting. The set up was fairly simple but it felt strange talking on camera. I was contacted by Delphine Hall in HR to set up an in person intrrview with 3 managers. The interview questions were fairly standard. The process seems to be focussed on determining whether or not you are a good personality fit for the team. Interviews are always stressful but everyone tries to put you at ease. Overall a pleasant experience. Even though I did not receive an offer I am impressed with the organization as a whole and Delphine Hall in particular. She was extremely responsive and really seems to love her job. She helped everyone relax before the interview and provided excellent feedback after the interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CARFAX in May 2014.

Interview

The process here is efficient, quick and painless. Both of the recruiters I worked with were totally professional, respectful, helpful, and quick in responses. They allowed me to feel valued through the whole process whether I was to get the position or not. Moneik and Delphine were two of the best HR professionals I have encountered and only add to the positive reviews for this company.

Interview Questions

• The most unexpected situation not question was the video interview. Although it was not expected it is a great resource and glad I have now completed that once.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centreville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CARFAX (Centreville, VA).

Interview

HR Recruiter phone interview, followed by the supervisor phone interview. Almost 6 hours of interviews on-site included panel interview with co-workers, facilitating an exercise related to the position, and more 1 or 2 person interviews.

Interview Questions

• The exercise scenario was vague, which, in retrospect, lets the applicant push it to their own limits.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They didn't budge much on money after the initial offer; they touted the bonus plan and the culture as the reasons.