CARFAX Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

3.2

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CARFAX (Columbia, MO) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online, carfax recruiter reached out did phone screen. 2nd phone screen from panel of developers to assess skillset. Went online to fill out 4 forms. Called to come for in-person interview which consisted of a 1.5h pair programming doing JAVA red-green unit tests. The tests were all failed and pre-written, I sat with a developer and wrote code to pass them. Basic programming logic tests (4 in total), I remember 2: Fizzbuzz, Palindrome detection. After which I was interviewed by a panel of 6 to assess skills from my resume, next was a panel of 3 upper managers to confirm my personality fit (i presume). Lastly I went to lunch with 3 developers.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked in an agile environment?   1 Answer
    • Have you done 'extreme-programming'?   1 Answer
    • What frameworks have you used?   1 Answer
    • What is MVC and have you worked on any projects that utilize MVC?   1 Answer

Regional Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Centerville, Goochland, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CARFAX (Centerville, Goochland, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

After applying online through Jobinvite I was given a log in to track status. About 10 days later I received an email from the HR department setting up an interview call for the following week. First I had a conversation with HR and discussed the application to which she said that she will email me for further steps. I then received and email and set up video web interview with the manager for the territory I was interested in. After the web call I then had another phone interview with a senior associate in the territory I was interested in. After completing I was then brought to Virginia along with other qualified candidates and to interview with a panel in person. About a week later I was emailed and presented a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe something you would talk about with a customer that is not work related?   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CARFAX (Centreville, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruited and went through a phone interview and portfolio submission. Afterwards, I came into the headquarters for an interview that consisted of 4 different meetings with about 5-6 people (including the team I would be working with and the manager I would be working under). I received positive feedback after that, but didn't hear anything definitive for about a week and a half. I was interviewing at another company and actually almost accepted an offer there, except CARFAX was my first choice and I decided to hold off another couple of days. I received word that CARFAX wanted me to come in for another interview round. That seemed a little extensive, but I agreed and came in and met with another 5-6 people stretched out over about 2.5-3 hours. I stressed to the recruiter that I was nearing the end of my job search, but CARFAX was my top choice--I ended up hearing back a few days later and receiving a job offer. After the process was over, the method to the interview process became clear to me. Throughout the process, I met with several members of several different teams and while I would not be working with all of them daily, I would be working with all of them regularly. By interviewing with all of the, I was able to get a good snapshot of what my actual work life would be. Not only that, but I was able to hear stories and anecdotes from people of various tenure and with varied experiences at CARFAX--this was extremely helpful to me in piecing together what the atmosphere in the office was like. It was a long process, but I've never been through an interview process that has so thoroughly prepared me for what my actual job environment and interactions would be like.

Interview Questions

• How do you convince a client that their ideas or opinions are incorrect?   Answer Question

Informatica Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CARFAX.

Interview

First call with the recruiting manager for the basic details about your role, responsibilities, why you want to leave the job and other basic details. Second round is the video interview which is automated .

Interview Questions

• Basic ETL questions about scd, how duplicates are removed, what are the columns you would consider while desgining the data model of a table, what is your current skill set.You will have some 7-8 questions with 20 mins of time.Prepare the basics well.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at CARFAX (Columbia, MO) in April 2015.

Interview

They first conducted an automated web cam interview. They asked 6 questions and give you 30 seconds to prepare a response before each. To me this was very awkward and I felt that I stumbled over my words a lot. Then they bring you on site for a more formal interview. The coding portion was using Java to pass a series of challenges; they want to see how well you understand OOP. They will then bring you in front of a panel of 3-7 others who will try to get to know you and your skills. Their questions to me were all over the place. After that they will have you meet with a team of managers who will ask you a lot of behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• What is polymorphism and explain why or when you would use it.   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centreville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at CARFAX (Centreville, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied on line. First interview was with company recruiter. Phone interview followed with hiring Director. Half day individual interviews with 5 managers from hiring Director, Operations, Finance and potential counterpart. Interviews were very conversational to "get to know you". Potential counterpart interview was a bit awkward.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CARFAX (Columbia, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

The process involved two rounds. The first round is kind of like a screening where you take a online test. It has around 10 multiple choices about basic Java knowledge, and then 4 coding problems that require you to solve. The coding problems are about the same level as ACM competitions. After the screening phase it is the on-site interview. You get interviewed by two panels of people and about 3-4 people on each panel. They are all very nice and friendly. The whole in-person interview took about an hour for me.

Interview Questions

• An instance to demonstrate problem solving skills. Behavioral questions.   Answer Question
    • What is OOD? What is private, public and protected? Basic java questions.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at CARFAX (Centreville, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

I had 4 interviews: - a phone screen with a recruiter - a phone interview with the VP that the position reported to - an intensive (but very positive/constructive) ~4-hour on-site interview with all of the position's peers, 2 of the positions direct reports, an external stakeholder, and the VP that the position reported to - another intensive (but again - very positive) ~3 hour on-site interview with all of the major VP/C-level external stakeholders that the position would be interacting with Throughout each of the discussions, ALL of the interviewers were very cordial (even friendly) and professional, were quite happy to answer any/all of my questions, and consistently asked very challenging - but very appropriate - questions of me. I was drained after each discussion, but extremely jazzed to see/hear/feel how real the amazing culture is and gain insight into just how well put together this company is.

Interview Questions

• Lots of discussion about how to balance the need for process to enable scale while not doing so for the sake of process and therefore harming the culture.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Centreville, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at CARFAX (Centreville, VA) in January 2015.

Interview

Multi stage interview with several people. Phone first, then video interview, then face to face with multiple people. I was flown into CARFAX's corporate office in VA. Very nice people and cool place to work.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my experience using CARFAX and their competitor. Also, wanted to learn more about my experience with dealerships   1 Answer

Customer Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CARFAX.

Interview

Received emailed request for phone interview, then had phone interview with HR. Next interview was a recorded video interview, and the final interview was in person. Everyone I encountered was very pleasant.

Interview Questions

• The recorded video itself can be unsettling if you are not used to this type of communication. All questions were fairly easy and none were unexpected.   Answer Question