CARFAX

3.2

Regional Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CARFAX in August 2014.

The most detailed and informative interview process I have ever had the opportunity to be part of. The recruiter was easy to work with and layed out the timeline and the expections for the process upfront. We created a great repore and she had my best interests at heart.

Interview Questions
    • The video interview request was very intimadating, but challenging in the same.   Answer Question
    Everything was very upfront and clear, negotiations were very cut and dry.

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centreville, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CARFAX in July 2014.

I replied to an ad online. I did a video interview which is interesting. The set up was fairly simple but it felt strange talking on camera. I was contacted by Delphine Hall in HR to set up an in person intrrview with 3 managers. The interview questions were fairly standard. The process seems to be focussed on determining whether or not you are a good personality fit for the team. Interviews are always stressful but everyone tries to put you at ease. Overall a pleasant experience. Even though I did not receive an offer I am impressed with the organization as a whole and Delphine Hall in particular. She was extremely responsive and really seems to love her job. She helped everyone relax before the interview and provided excellent feedback after the interview.

Customer Support Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CARFAX in May 2014.

The process here is efficient, quick and painless. Both of the recruiters I worked with were totally professional, respectful, helpful, and quick in responses. They allowed me to feel valued through the whole process whether I was to get the position or not. Moneik and Delphine were two of the best HR professionals I have encountered and only add to the positive reviews for this company.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected situation not question was the video interview. Although it was not expected it is a great resource and glad I have now completed that once.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centreville, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CARFAX.

HR Recruiter phone interview, followed by the supervisor phone interview. Almost 6 hours of interviews on-site included panel interview with co-workers, facilitating an exercise related to the position, and more 1 or 2 person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The exercise scenario was vague, which, in retrospect, lets the applicant push it to their own limits.   Answer Question
    They didn't budge much on money after the initial offer; they touted the bonus plan and the culture as the reasons.

Field Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CARFAX.

Looks like they have place holder positions posted on their website. There wasn't an urgency to hire. First step was to apply on their website. HR/Recruiting manager was very professional and provided good feedback throughout the process. First step was a phone screen by recruiter, second step was a phone interview by hiring manager. After that a video interview was set up with the Director of Sales.

Interview Questions
    • No curve ball questions. Asked for examples regarding past experiences regarding sales process, resolving customer issues, dealership structure. Managers and recruiter are very proud of CARFAX accomplishments.   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CARFAX.

Gave recruiter my resume at campus career fair. He contacted me within the week, and sent me a link to complete an recorded video interview. The video interview consisted of a mixture of technical and behavioral questions. None were too difficult for even a relatively unexperienced CS student. I think I was just thrown off by the recorded video interview, it was just different than anything I had done before. But I learned from it and will move on! Maybe next year.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CARFAX.

I applied online and did a video-recorded webcam interview (pretty annoying, pro tip change your browser plug-in settings to "click to play"), 30 seconds to prepare each answer and 3 minutes to answer. Questions:

Why do you want to work at Carfax?
    How would your peers and coworkers describe you?
    Describe your ideal work environment.
    Give an example of a polymorphism.
    What is the most difficult programming project you have worked on?
    If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

Phone interview with the HR person:

Describe your ideal work environment.
    Asked about previous pay, and how much I asked for at Carfax.
    Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    Other forgettable questions, mostly just feeling me out, conversation. Talk about your experience.
    Do you have any questions for us?

Phone interview with the Dev team:

You have a vehicle with id and vin, and make with id and name. Describe how you would implement a restful service to perform CRUD.
    Describe how you would represent them in a database.
    Describe how you would use SQL to find all Ford vehicles.

Describe the difference between an interface and an abstract class.
    When would you use each one?

Describe MVC.
    Where would you do form validation?

Why would you normalize tables in a database?
    When wouldn't you normalize tables in a database?

Describe your ideal work environment. (They reeeally want to know about my ideal work environment.)
    Let's say I'm putting together a development team. Why should I pick you to be on it?
    Do you work best alone or in a team?
    Are you familiar with Extreme Programming?
    If you notice that a coworker is not living up to his/her potential, how would you handle that situation?

How would you describe your current position?
    Describe your work at your last job.
    Why do you want to work at Carfax?
    Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?

What are you going to do with the rest of your day?
    You wake up and the whole day is yours, what do you do?
    What kind of books do you like to read?

Describe a pet peeve of yours.
    What question do you wish we had asked?
    Do you have any questions for us?

Was not offered the on-site all-day interview.

Software Developer Interview

1. Behavioral interview. They just want to see that you can communicate well.
    2. Technical interview. Questions about OOP, abstract classes vs. interfaces, and database structures. Also some object instantiation.

Software Developer Interview

Phone screening then an all day on-site interview. Face-to-face with the two directors, then face-to-face with two departments, lunch, coding pair-in session with a developer from each department.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Centreville, VA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at CARFAX in June 2013.

Had to first complete a video interview prior to being called for in-person interview. Once called, I was told I had to show up at the exact day/time allotted and there was no flexibility - if I couldn't make that day, they wouldn't meet with me. HR rep was very nice & offered tips to interviewing well. However, at last second before interview, she told me that CARFAX was being acquired by another company. It would have been nice to be told that before agreeing to interview.

My first impression was that the environment was nothing like what I saw described on the CARFAX website. It was quiet & somber, cluttered, & unappealing. Interviewing process was like a "cattle call" or playing "musical chairs" with 5 candidates, including myself, all being interviewed at the same time, walking in and out of offices to switch places. Very awkward and unprofessional, IMO. I literally had 10 minutes with the hiring manager, certainly not enough time to develop any rapport.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were expected, like "Why are you interested in working at CARFAX?" and "What does your next challenge look like?" However, one interviewer asked me how I handle superiors with "strong personalities." When I asked for clarification, I was told that there were some senior-level managers who are unwilling to listen to opinions or take suggestions from subordinates...they always had to be right and didn't consider your expertise or knowledge.   View Answer