CAS Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.3

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CAS (Columbus, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

I got a phone interview 2 weeks after applying online. They contacted me via email, and I had a phone interview with three professionals from different departments, but all held positions that were related to the position I applied for. They gave me some information regarding the position I applied for, then proceeded to ask questions for about 15 minutes. The interviewers were very professional, but did not sound friendly. I haven't heard back from them since the interview, and assume I didn't get through to the in-person interview. It would have been nice if they would have at least sent me an email telling me that they were no longer interested in my candidacy.

Help Desk Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CAS (Columbus, OH) in January 2015.

Interview

They responded promptly after I applied (1 week), and my phone screen was set up for 2 days later. I had two in-person interviews, both were "panel" type interviews, with the immediate supervisor and manager for the first Interview, and with co-workers and senior management for the second interview. Overall, a very pleaseant and well organized experience.

Interview Questions

• How would I handle a question I could not answer, but was expected to give an answer to right away   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did try to negotiate some things, but they moved very little. Overall I was very satisfied however.

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CAS.

Interview

I had a brief phone screen with someone in HR and then had a 3 1/2 hour interview with about 9 different people (they rotated in and out while I stayed in one conference room). It was nice to see who I would potentially be working with on a day-to-day basis, but I was not given a schedule in advance. Most interviewers were very scientific types, which I expected, and did not have well developed interpersonal skills. Several mentioned that the company doesn't have aset interview guide and that they weren't even sure what types of questions to ask me. Overall it was pretty exhausting, especially not knowing who was coming in next and they didn't offer water or a bathroom break.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared for answer specifics about their products/services and may a few off the wall questions.   Answer Question

Scientific Information Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CAS (Columbus, OH).

Interview

This was for an editorial position that would entail going through the chemical literature and structuring it into the CAS database web. The interview took most of the day.

Started off with the typical chat with an HR person to confirm basic things about employment eligibility and whatnot. Then met with a more senior manager in one of the editorial divisions (the editorial function is divided up based on chemical discipline so that analysts are familiar with the type of literature theyre reviewing, be it inorg chem, org chem, p chem or whatever), this was a pretty friendly conversation, not much in the way of tough questions. After this I met with a couple lower level editorial managers (simultaneously). They asked the typical behavioral questions like "what's your biggest weakness" and "tell us about a time when you overcame a significant challenge." If this is a job you want, I think the big thing here is to get across that you love nothing more than being thorough and highly productive... they want to know you will crank through tons of papers and enter the data accurately.

Then I went to lunch with a couple of analysts. I think they tried to match me up with people they though I would get along with, convincing me that CAS has a fun culture or something along those lines. This was the most casual part of the interview; they were explicit that nothing here was evaluated.

After lunch I met briefly with an editorial analyst who had the same role I was interviewing for. This was not stressful or difficult, but was meant to show me what the job would be like day to day. She demonstrated how she analyzes papers.

Then met with the head of editorial. She was mad cool. Told me that "at chemical abstracts, an extrovert is someone who only looks at the other person's shoes," and other bits of difficult honesty. She really wanted me to understand the exact nature of the job and the expectations that go along with it. Despite her high pay grade, this was not that difficult of a conversation.

The final portion of the interview was basically a test, so come prepared for that. It consisted of a chemical nomenclature portion and a translation exercise (which was in the language I had expressed proficiency in). I thought the nomenclature part was difficult... be sure to know the rules for assigning axial chirality. For the translation part they just take a chunk of text from the literature and tell you to have at it. The test is timed so be ready to work fast. Then they go over the answers with you and you go home.

Interview Questions

• The nomenclature part of the test... if you routinely use ChemDraw to generate your IUPAC names for you, you will want to brush up for this.   Answer Question

Took a bench chemistry job instead

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at CAS (Columbus, OH) in June 2010.

Interview

Meet with HR, met with another manager, met with hiring manager and 3 team members

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CAS.

Interview

fairly simple, standard process. Phone call with manger, interview with HR, manager, and team. Interview with Manager's manager. Interview with Manager's Manager's Manager. If they like you they aren't afraid to tell you. HR does take a very long time to get back to you with an offer, and when they finally do, they don't give you very much time to think about it.

And usually they do not hire after November because the budget year ends in Dec. If you do interview late, they will probably wait until Jan to hire you.

Interview Questions

• All standard questions. Watch out for team or group interviews   Answer Question

Negotiation

non-existant

Technical Information Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CAS (City of London, England (UK)) in May 2009.

Interview

we will hire the people who have a knowledge about the product that the company produce with right requirement that are needed. The candidates must through 3 phases during the interview and the result will be know after 1 week.