CAST Management Consultants

Updated Nov 19, 2014

2.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at CAST Management Consultants

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at CAST Management Consultants in November 2014.

I first learned about the firm when they came to an on campus recruiting night and I applied through my university career website. Started with a resume screen and about a week later I had an on-campus interview. First interview was pretty basic, 45 minutes with a manger. About 10 minutes talking about why I was interested in consulting and why my background (in organizational psychology) would be useful at a consulting firm. It was mostly conversational, just sharing info about my time in school and the path that led me to apply for consulting. The next 30 minutes were taken up with a case. The interviewer walked me through different components of the case, starting general and asking how I would go about gathering information to make recommendations, and getting more specific as more information was introduced, and eventually asking me to do some calculations based on market-share forecasts. The case was tricky for me because I don't have too much business acumen/experience doing case interviews, but I think they're more interested in the thought processes that go into formulating a response, rather than explicit accuracy or getting the correct answer. I was able to explain clearly what I would do and the case was conversational throughout.

I didn't hear anything for 3 weeks so I assumed they passed me over, but then I got a call that I was being invited to a final round interview in a couple weeks. I was also invited to a social hour to get a chance to know the other recruits and some other employees. The social hour was great and it was really nice getting a chance to talk to everyone more informally.

Finally was the "Super Day" final round interview. It consisted of 5 interview parts: a writing sample, group case, quantitative case, situational interview, and behavioral interview/resume walk-through. There was also a presentation by the partners to talk about why CAST is great, and they took us all out to lunch. Overall I felt that I did well, but I couldn't exactly tell what specific competencies or traits they were looking for. Despite it being a long and tiring day, it was generally enjoyable and a good experience getting to chat with other employees more and get to know the other recruits. Everyone at CAST really seems to enjoy working there, and it sounded like great environment in which to start a career. Unfortunately, a week after the final round I was notified that they were not going to give me an offer. I think perhaps I just didn't manage to stand out enough against other, more outgoing, recruits. They look for specific individuals that are "thick skinned" and assertive, and they really hope that everyone they hire with stay with CAST for the foreseeable future. They recruit a wide variety of degrees/backgrounds so the employees aren't all just business/finance/accounting backgrounds, but come from other areas of study like English, engineering, neuroscience, and psychology. They're focused on discovering how you think and how you will perform in consulting, as a team and in front of clients, and they know they can teach more specific consulting skills on the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you and a partner were presenting recommendations/results to a client, and you realize the partner has made an error in the calculations?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CAST Management Consultants in October 2014.

I applied through my university. I was then contracted for a first round interview on campus. The interviewer was nice, she was a third year analyst right out of school. She asked me to walk her through my resume, and a few short case questions after.

Interview Questions
    • A ski company is having difficulty because rentals are often being returned late. What factors do you think contribute to this, and how would you solve this problem. How many rentals does this company rent out a year?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CAST Management Consultants.

Two interviews and a super-day in the office in LA. First two interviews were phone screens by junior level associates. Mainly consisted of "tell me about a time when...." type questions. The final round was a super day consisting of three interviews. Two behavioral interviews with EVP/Partners and a third with a junior level employee. The interview with the junior level employee consisted of looking at a printed version of a pitch deck, making recommendations/corrections, and walking through those edits with the junior level employee. No traditional case questions.

Interview Questions
    • Take a look at this deck and make any edits or corrections you'd like to. I'll be back in a half hour.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CAST Management Consultants.

Resume drop, Cover letter for campus recruiting. on campus interview (1/2 case;1/2 behavioral)

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CAST Management Consultants.

two round interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at CAST Management Consultants in October 2011.

I received my interview request through my college career website. The interview lasted for about 45 minutes and was very casual. The interviewer was very nice and inviting. She asked a few behavioral questions about my role in teams. She also asked me to share something that was not on my resume, which threw me off a little.
    The case took up about the last 10-15 minutes. The case was not specific at all. I was asked to only describe my process of gathering the information needed to make a recommendation, rather than actually receiving metrics and giving an actual recommendation. Whenever I would mention something, for example "I would ask the finance dept for (such and such)," the interviewer would ask, "What would you do with that information?" Overall, the case was really easy. Knowledge of business finance and accounting terms would have helped, since it was so abstract.

Interview Questions
    • Case: The CEO of a regional chain of stores wants to build a distribution center. He has asked you whether or not this a good decision. How would you go about finding the answer to this?   Answer Question

Entry-Level Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CAST Management Consultants in September 2010.

It was a day-long interview -- met with multiple staff, had a business lunch, completed a quantitative and qualitative case. This came after a series of phone interviews, also with cases.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part was fitting in to the California-university culture. There was a stigma around not having grown up in So-Cal or going to school there, and it was hard to connect with any of the staff around other topics.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CAST Management Consultants in September 2010.

Horrendous interview process. I followed up with them multiple times just to get some feedback and little was provided. The interviewee spent most the time discussing themselves rather than giving me a chance to express why I felt I would be good for the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to overcome a leadership challenge   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CAST Management Consultants in October 2009.

Initially applied through college career center. Career Center got back to me notifying me of my selection to interview with the recruiter at the given day (5 days from when I applied). I was free to choose a time slot.

Interview lasted about 30 minutes. It started with me going over my resume. The interviewer then asked me some behavioral questions and why I wanted to work at CAST. Finally, he asked me a case question which I had to solve.

The whole process was simple and the recruiter was very nice; he made me feel comfortable and easy.

Interview Questions
    • We are consulting for a grocery store chain in California who want to increase sales and reduce costs. What is your suggestion?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at CAST Management Consultants in November 2007.

Interview consisted of 3 rounds: 1st round (on-campus) - primarily "fit" questions followed by a fairly straight forward case study...economics/business/banking background not neccessary as long as you can think critically and you're familiar with some terminology like "benchmarking", "best practices", etc. (in fact, my case was entirely unrelated to banking). 2nd round - phone interview, mostly fit questions, Q&A, and some "selling" on the part of the interviewer. 3rd round (downtown LA office) - more "fit" and situational questions, followed by a group casestudy, an individual case (more mathematical), a writing sample, Q&A session, and then a formal luncheon and partner presentation. Interviewers are looking for Associates who aren't necessarily the MBA type - they put a lot of time into training Associates and would like to keep them around for a while...there are a number of Managers/VPs at the firm who started off as Associates. This is great if you want to be a consultant for life, but if you aspire to higher education, asking for letters of recommendation here can be a tricky balancing act. Be sure to emphasize the benefits of working at a small firm in your interview, and read-up on the company website, client list, and practice areas.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your resume, and, have you ever had to deal with large amounts of data?   View Answer
    • What would you do if a client refused to return your phone calls?   View Answer
    Not much room for negotiation at the junior level. If you have to relocate, they might give you an allowance for that, but overall, signing bonus and starting salary are based on industry standard. Some perks of the job are being weeded out with the economic downturn, e.g., over-the-top spring retreats...but for the most part, this is a conservative firm that values face time and considers slightly higher than average bonuses ample enough compensation (read: no fancy happy hours on the firm's or clients' tab). CAST does let you keep your travel points though, so IF you get staffed, you'll enjoy the free flights and hotel stays,