CDC

CDC Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014
Updated Sep 9, 2014

ORISE Fellow (Masters Level) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CDC.

Phone interview with questions mostly focused around past experiences related to the position. For example, if the position requires you to complete data analysis and be proficient in statistical software applications such as SAS, the interviewer (who would most likely be your supervisor) will ask you about past experiences and how proficient you are in SAS.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. The questions were straightforward. You might be asked what you know about the position so read the posting carefully.   Answer Question

ORISE Fellow (Masters Level) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CDC.

I've had 3 ORISE phone interviews with CDC and all have been similar. They ask your run of the mill interview questions (what's your strength/weakness, why are you interested, tell us about a conflict and how your resolved it, etc.) I've never been asked anything unexpected at all. Make sure you stress both your experience and your ability to grow and learn. After all, the ORISE fellowship training material for CDC employees tells them to look for "diamonds in the rough".

Interview Questions
    • As long as you have solid stories prepared with a clear expression of your motivations there are no difficult questions   View Answer

Orise Fellow Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CDC.

Interview process was short and sweet. Phone interview, meet in person, got the job. Red tape and training were atrocious trying to get everything to be considered 'on board'

Health Communications Specialist Interview

The process is as follows... (1) apply via USA Jobs (2) make the certificate (3) get interview with panel (4) interview with senior leaders (if you are a top candidate) (5) become the selected candidate (best candidate based on KSA (knowledge, skills, and abilities)).

ORISE Fellow (Masters Level) Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CDC.

My position was an urgent need position, so my interview and hiring process was quick and easy compared to many others I witnessed while working at CDC. I received the job listing via a friend of a friend, applied and had my phone interview within 24 hours. My interview was scheduled for the following week. I was unable to meet with my direct supervisors, but met with their Team Lead. The interview was very straightforward. We covered my past experience and my comfort level with the subject matter I would be working on during the Fellowship.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected, although we did spend a pretty significant amount of time discussing my neuroscience work which was somewhat irrelevant to the position.   Answer Question
    There were no negotiations. The salary levels are predetermined and are non-negotiable.

Orise Fellow Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CDC.

The hiring process consisted of an application with essays and letters of reference.

N/A

Team Lead Interview

The hiring and interview process is very bad. It is fraught with politics. First screen in computer generated. It is a large gam.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are outlined ahead of time. Script is known to all   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Staff Fellow Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at CDC.

Referred through a friend for a specific opening. Filled out federal hiring forms and was contacted by an HR rep. After initial interview with HR, spoke to branch chief on phone about job specs and my qualifications and arranged for site visit. Site visit seemed like a formality, but it gave me a chance to interact with the people and get a feel for the culture.

Interview Questions
    Negotiated start date and salary on phone with the branch chief after offer.

Chemist Interview

Took a very long time, but it was conducted through another company.

Interview Questions
    None - take it or leave it

Research Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CDC.

Interview process consisted of panel video-based interviews with several different departments. Interviews vary by department. Each department (not all) spent some time describing the type of projects on which they work (I was familiar with most of the info from doing some background reading). Initial questions were largely background type (clarifying points on my résumé and essay, tell me about yourself etc). The bulk of the questions were behavioral heavy (how do you respond to criticism, tell me about a time when...) and some were more technical (how would you perform a cost-effectiveness analysis). The time at the end was left for questions.

Interview Questions
    • If you were working with a team in country x, and you were tasked with determining the most cost effective screening strategy for disease y, how would you go about solving the problem?   Answer Question