CDM Smith

Updated Jan 9, 2015
Updated Jan 9, 2015

2.5

Intern Interview

Interviewed with one engineer in round one off site, then two other engineers on site in round two. All behavioral (ie tell us about a time you worked in a group, etc) no technical questions.

Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CDM Smith in November 2014.

I received a call from a recruiter the day after I applied to the position. We had a great conversation. She asked about my current job and what I was looking for in my next position. She asked my availability for the following week to come in for an in-person interview. I met with 7 people and had one phone interview at the end. Everyone was very nice and on time for the interviews. They do a benefits overview in the beginning of the interview process, which I think was very helpful and considerate. I was made an offer the following day after my interview.

Interview Questions
    • Everyone one asked about my current job situation. I was asked a lot of the same questions. What I was looking for in my next job, what I looked for in a manager, how I managed my time, my proficiency in Microsoft office, how I would handle an overloaded schedule, etc. Can you think of a time when you made a mistake in your work and how you handled that situation?   Answer Question
    No price negotiation for me, but I know they do negotiate salaries in certain situations.

Co-op Position Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CDM Smith.

Very informal interview enivironment. I was interviewed by several members of the team I would be working with and had interesting conversations with all. Definitely be prepared with plenty of questions, as I am pretty confident I asked them more questions than they chose to ask me. Definitely don't be too concerned about this interview because the folks you will meet are very easy-going and aren't looking to stump you with an impossible question. The overall office environment is extremely friendly and I would highly recommend considering this company as a long term place to work.

Interview Questions
    • In all honesty, there were no very challenging questions asked.   Answer Question

Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CDM Smith.

First and second interviews over the phone. Third interview with several people divided into groups followed by lunch with everyone. Mostly asked to elaborate on resume along with questions to gauge your personality, and because you're interviewed by several small groups prepare to repeat yourself over and over.

Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CDM Smith.

Phone interview with relevant people and then office interview. They try to treat you out to lunch with a bigger group than the interview group to get a better sense of your personality. Personality questions rather than technical questions. Hard to argue salary, whatever they offer you is generally what you get unless you want to wait more than 1 month.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular. They will read your resume and ask about it in detail. They will tell stories about their firm and ask how excited you would be willing to work.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CDM Smith.

I received a call from HR, was asked a serious of telephone interview style questions. Invited in for a final interview. Interview was good. Met with 5-6 people of different backgrounds and levels. Offer made within 1 week of interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever worked for a sustainable company? Why or why not?   Answer Question

Construction Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CDM Smith in July 2014.

About 2, 3 weeks after applying for the position I was contacted by an HR coordinator from corporate (MA) to conduct a brief phone screening. That went well, and he confirmed that he'd want me to speak with the PM. I had another brief phone discussion with the PM and he wanted to coordinate a meeting with him and the project team. About 2 weeks later, I met with him and the assistant PM. So with a total of 3 interviews, all were very informal, however they were very candid with job description and stressed the need for you to travel. There aren't any questions asked like, "So why should we hire you?" "What are your weaknesses" it's more like an open discussion of what your experience is and what they look for in a candidate for potential hire

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to travel?   Answer Question
    • From your industry experience, what side are you mostly familiar with: owners rep/owner/etc or project manager/field engineer/etc   Answer Question

GIS Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CDM Smith in February 2014.

I contacted a senior level principal at the company and provided my resume with a summary of my accomplishments by email. The principal passed the information to the HR manager at their headquarters (Boston), which in return, contacted me via telephone call message a few days after. We spoke for about 30 minutes about my prior work, employee referral, relevant skill set, job description, relocation, etc. and mostly about my resume. It was brief and more relaxed chatting about the past work. A few days after, I was contacted by an assistant HR coordinator via email which announced the secure group telephone interview (date, time, and specific names & titles of the group interview).

The actual group telephone interview (lasted just over 1 hour in duration) was poorly executed by CDM Smith, as the main person conducting the interview was clearly amateur (young, probably in 20s, somewhat bloated stature, trying to speak as if he has power in a tough manner). The phone was clicking off and on and (1) of the (3) CDM Smith employees lost connection and returned right at the end of the interview. Besides the young "team lead", there were two older members from different groups/departments who seemed to be there to provide guidance to this young "leader". It felt like I was talking to some young kid who needed to be held up by older members and taught how to have an ethical interview (very disappointing). I remember even a point of silence by the young man, as the other employee (from a different department) never asked questions. It was like there was a performance evaluation being conducted on the young team lead, and there was no interest in me.

When the phone call was finally over, the employee that lost connection reappeared and spoke to me, with what appeared to be a one-on-one talk (I didn't believe that). The gentleman thanked me for the impressive interview and my great, detailed answers. They gave me an offer in the mail, but I had to dismiss this opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • Just basic questions about my past work and nothing that needed brainpower by the CDM Smith employees. It seemed more about training the amateur "team lead", rather than learning what value I can bring to their group, department, and company. Very disappointing   Answer Question

The "team lead" sounded younger than me, not mature enough to lead, and it seemed like his first time interviewing a person. Two other senior managers needed to "hold him up", practice with him, and teach him how to properly interview.

If he needs guidance in work like managing an ethical interview, then I'm sure his management style is at an amateur level, which is exactly the person I don't want to follow (and learn nothing from over time).

Environmental Engineer II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CDM Smith.

Unorthodox based on today's interview process, which is nice. People can get in by talking to recruiters or submitting online, but going to an event and talking to people seems to be the best way.
    1) general HR phone interview
    2) face-to-face interview with 3-4 engineers at the office.
    3) offer

Interview Questions
    • What is engineering? How do you approach engineering problems in an office setting?   Answer Question
    No negotiation when you're first hired on. Once you're in, you can use what leverage you have.

ENEV II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CDM Smith.

Uneventful