CDM Smith

Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CDM Smith.

Interview Details – I received a call from HR, was asked a serious of telephone interview style questions. Invited in for a final interview. Interview was good. Met with 5-6 people of different backgrounds and levels. Offer made within 1 week of interviewing.

Interview Question – Have you ever worked for a sustainable company? Why or why not?   Answer Question

Environmental Scientist II Interview

Environmental Scientist II
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at CDM Smith in September 2012.

Interview Details – The first time I was emailed about conducting an initial phone conversation was around a month and a half after applying for the position. That phone conversation was your average phone interview, with most questions regarding my background, job interests, and experience. Right off the bat it was very clear that my interviewers (which I later found out were my manager and team leader) did not understand any of the technical information that I was giving them, despite the extremely technical nature of the position I was applying for. That phone conversation lasted roughly an hour and ended with the interviewers telling me that they'd like to interview me in person so that was obviously a good end to the interview.

The in-person interview happened about a month later, and was a mixture of one-on-one and group interviewing. For the first 20 minutes or so, they explain to you the complex structure of the company only to follow it with, "oh, you don't really need to understand this." Not really off to a good start...You end up meeting with at least 2 or 3 of the managers/directors/team leaders who all end up asking the same exact questions so be prepared to repeat yourself a lot. There was a short tour of the office and facilities and the opportunity to meet the primary people in your future group. Those group members also had a chance to interview you and, once again, ask the same questions over and over.

The whole in-person interview lasted about 2-3 hours. Luckily, they are quick to judgement after that, with an offer of employment in about 2 days. Don't expect any negotiation on salary, benefits, etc. though.

I'd say all in all, the interview process was a little long and drawn out, highly repetitive, but not too difficult to nail.

Interview Question – There wasn't anything particular that stood out. Some of the technical questions about chemistry were completely irrelevant to the job and since I didn't think to study up on those, they were a bit more difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-existent, they said "this is what you're getting and that's that!"

Technical Writer Interview

Technical Writer
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at CDM Smith in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online- within two weeks got a call and went out for a visit!!

Interview Question – How are you going to handle the internal client.   Answer Question

Environmental Engineer II Interview

Environmental Engineer II

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CDM Smith.

Interview Details – Unorthodox based on today's interview process, which is nice. People can get in by talking to recruiters or submitting online, but going to an event and talking to people seems to be the best way.
1) general HR phone interview
2) face-to-face interview with 3-4 engineers at the office.
3) offer

Interview Question – What is engineering? How do you approach engineering problems in an office setting?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation when you're first hired on. Once you're in, you can use what leverage you have.

Very Easy Interview

ENEV II Interview

ENEV II
Orlando, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CDM Smith.

Interview Details – Uneventful

Negotiation Details – Yes, and the firm increased the base by $1,000

Construction Engineer Interview

Construction Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CDM Smith.

Interview Details – Phone interview, in-person interview. Process was typical. Didn't ask many technical questions as this was just the first interview. Hope to hear back soon.

Interview Question – I didn't get many difficult questions. They were mainly trying to get to know me.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
Albany, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CDM Smith in March 2013.

Interview Details – I initially came into contact with them at our college's career fair. They then emailed me asking to interview in person at the Albany, NY office (closest to my school). The interviews were standard, no technical questions. Just questions about my past experiences and my familiarity with certain AutoCAD products. I had interviews with 3 people, and was out in 3 hours.

They were really nice there, and I enjoyed the small office feel of the company. Business casual work environment, friendly people, etc. Seemed like a very traditional engineering consulting company. The satellite offices operate almost as their own entities, so it really depends on what office you end up at.

Interview Question – Nothing technical, just about my past experiences and whether their kind of products interest me.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I received another offer for much better compensation, location, and projects.

Master Planning Intern Interview

Master Planning Intern
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CDM Smith in June 2012.

Interview Details – It was an informal interview in CDM Smith San Francisco office. People there were incredibly nice, smiling all the time, offering me tea, telling me about their projects! I really want to work with them! Would be a nice place to start a career as a transportation planner! They have asked me to introduce myself, talk about some projects on my resume, relevent experience with some transportation planning software, CUBE, TransCAD, which project of theirs I was more interested in. It was a nice talk...so bad I didn't end up work for them.

Interview Question – No difficult question....it was very informal.. more like having a conversation with them.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Didn't have the authorization to work in U.S. and they didn't have any volunteer position.

Environmental Engineer Interview

Environmental Engineer
Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CDM Smith in July 2012.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview with the HR rep located at Cambridge. HR was very helpful and scheduled an interview inside the week. At the KC office, the interview consisted of a 1:1 with the Principal and a combined 1:3 interview with the other folks you would work with. Very helpful in providing insight into what exactly the job would entail. Discussed experience and on- hand project skills. Also provided info on the kinds of projects the office works with on a regular basis. This was followed by questions about experience with wastewater treatment and design experience.

Interview Question – What are your goals 5 years from now ? Do you prefer team based work or individual minded exercises?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Cambridge, MA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at CDM Smith in January 2008.

Interview Details – In person interview went well. Interviewer seemed to know the company and position well.

I did end up taking the job and have regretted it ever since. If you are a new grad, spend some time here and you'll learn "what not to do" to take to a better firm.

Interview Question – Describe a past project, your role and how you were rated. What were your biggest challenges.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – willing to negotiate.
As said earlier, this is not the firm that it was sold to be, if you are 10+ years of experience, don't bother wasting your time.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for CDM Smith? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CDM Smith interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by CDM Smith employees and interview candidates.