CDM Smith Interview Questions

Updated Oct 8, 2014
Updated Oct 8, 2014

2.5

Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CDM Smith.

First and second interviews over the phone. Third interview with several people divided into groups followed by lunch with everyone. Mostly asked to elaborate on resume along with questions to gauge your personality, and because you're interviewed by several small groups prepare to repeat yourself over and over.

Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CDM Smith.

Phone interview with relevant people and then office interview. They try to treat you out to lunch with a bigger group than the interview group to get a better sense of your personality. Personality questions rather than technical questions. Hard to argue salary, whatever they offer you is generally what you get unless you want to wait more than 1 month.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular. They will read your resume and ask about it in detail. They will tell stories about their firm and ask how excited you would be willing to work.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CDM Smith.

I received a call from HR, was asked a serious of telephone interview style questions. Invited in for a final interview. Interview was good. Met with 5-6 people of different backgrounds and levels. Offer made within 1 week of interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever worked for a sustainable company? Why or why not?   Answer Question

Construction Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CDM Smith in July 2014.

About 2, 3 weeks after applying for the position I was contacted by an HR coordinator from corporate (MA) to conduct a brief phone screening. That went well, and he confirmed that he'd want me to speak with the PM. I had another brief phone discussion with the PM and he wanted to coordinate a meeting with him and the project team. About 2 weeks later, I met with him and the assistant PM. So with a total of 3 interviews, all were very informal, however they were very candid with job description and stressed the need for you to travel. There aren't any questions asked like, "So why should we hire you?" "What are your weaknesses" it's more like an open discussion of what your experience is and what they look for in a candidate for potential hire

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to travel?   Answer Question
    • From your industry experience, what side are you mostly familiar with: owners rep/owner/etc or project manager/field engineer/etc   Answer Question

Environmental Engineer II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CDM Smith.

Unorthodox based on today's interview process, which is nice. People can get in by talking to recruiters or submitting online, but going to an event and talking to people seems to be the best way.
    1) general HR phone interview
    2) face-to-face interview with 3-4 engineers at the office.
    3) offer

Interview Questions
    • What is engineering? How do you approach engineering problems in an office setting?   Answer Question
    No negotiation when you're first hired on. Once you're in, you can use what leverage you have.

ENEV II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CDM Smith.

Uneventful

Yes, and the firm increased the base by $1,000

Construction Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CDM Smith.

Phone interview, in-person interview. Process was typical. Didn't ask many technical questions as this was just the first interview. Hope to hear back soon.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't get many difficult questions. They were mainly trying to get to know me.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CDM Smith in March 2013.

I initially came into contact with them at our college's career fair. They then emailed me asking to interview in person at the Albany, NY office (closest to my school). The interviews were standard, no technical questions. Just questions about my past experiences and my familiarity with certain AutoCAD products. I had interviews with 3 people, and was out in 3 hours.

They were really nice there, and I enjoyed the small office feel of the company. Business casual work environment, friendly people, etc. Seemed like a very traditional engineering consulting company. The satellite offices operate almost as their own entities, so it really depends on what office you end up at.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing technical, just about my past experiences and whether their kind of products interest me.   Answer Question

I received another offer for much better compensation, location, and projects.

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CDM Smith in February 2013.

Applied online- within two weeks got a call and went out for a visit!!

Environmental Scientist II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CDM Smith in September 2012.

The first time I was emailed about conducting an initial phone conversation was around a month and a half after applying for the position. That phone conversation was your average phone interview, with most questions regarding my background, job interests, and experience. Right off the bat it was very clear that my interviewers (which I later found out were my manager and team leader) did not understand any of the technical information that I was giving them, despite the extremely technical nature of the position I was applying for. That phone conversation lasted roughly an hour and ended with the interviewers telling me that they'd like to interview me in person so that was obviously a good end to the interview.

The in-person interview happened about a month later, and was a mixture of one-on-one and group interviewing. For the first 20 minutes or so, they explain to you the complex structure of the company only to follow it with, "oh, you don't really need to understand this." Not really off to a good start...You end up meeting with at least 2 or 3 of the managers/directors/team leaders who all end up asking the same exact questions so be prepared to repeat yourself a lot. There was a short tour of the office and facilities and the opportunity to meet the primary people in your future group. Those group members also had a chance to interview you and, once again, ask the same questions over and over.

The whole in-person interview lasted about 2-3 hours. Luckily, they are quick to judgement after that, with an offer of employment in about 2 days. Don't expect any negotiation on salary, benefits, etc. though.

I'd say all in all, the interview process was a little long and drawn out, highly repetitive, but not too difficult to nail.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't anything particular that stood out. Some of the technical questions about chemistry were completely irrelevant to the job and since I didn't think to study up on those, they were a bit more difficult.   Answer Question
    Non-existent, they said "this is what you're getting and that's that!"