CDW

85 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Telephony Engineer Interview

Telephony Engineer
Vernon Hills, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at CDW in January 2011.

Interview Details – I was presented with an itinerary with meeting times for multiple members of the IT team. One of the engineers did not show up until the first phase was half over. Another engineers took half of the first phase checking and replying to e-mails on his Blackberry. His attention was obviously occupied by his Blackberry because he was oblivious to the fact that he was repeating questions. The second phase was with the manager of the engineering team. The manager was obviously very ill with some sort of cold or bronchitis and could barely speak but was very thorough in her questioning of technical, organizational, and behavioral aspects. During the third phase, the senior manager was very condescending and made it a point for me to know that I was wasting his time.

24 hours after the interview, I withdrew my candidacy.

Interview Question – Did you write this resume or did someone else write it for you?   View Answer

Corporate Account Manager Interview

Corporate Account Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CDW in January 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process began and ended within a two month process from application submission to acceptance of the job offer. I was informed that CDW was hiring and was instructed on how to apply online. I recieved a call from the HR department shortly thereafter and was instructed on what would be covered on my phone interview the next week and what I should do to prepare. The phone interview was fairly detailed and encouraged creative responses to challenging scenarios. After the phone interview was deemed satisfactory, a follow up 1 on 1 interview with a hiring manager was coordinated. That interview was much like the phone interview however the hiring manager is looking for creative responses that show a well prepared interviewer who has a firm understanding on what the company does and what is expected of the position (information that was provided by the HR recruiter who conducted the phone interview). In the 1 on 1 interview the hiring manager wants to see the candidates personality come out and make a connection with the hiring manager. Most times an offer is issued right at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – How would I handle a situation in which I am on the phone with a customer who does regular business with me, when a customer who I have been trying to reach unsuccesfully calls me?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation for this position

Sales Account Manager Interview

Sales Account Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at CDW.

Interview Details – Every few months the company has interviews to fill their training classes. My guess is to replace the people that have left. There are places to find a list of questions, if you want the job find the questions. The training process is 8 weeks and pays $800 per week.

Interview Question – There are a lot of questions, as stated you need to find the list. Even after answering all the questions, you will need to meet with a few managers to get approved.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Inside positions only

Senior Sales Analyst Interview

Senior Sales Analyst
Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at CDW in August 2012.

Interview Details – Multi-Level interviews. Started with a phone interview (covering everything from past experiences and typical "interview" questions to who you are as a person) and continued with interviews with your potential direct manager, his/her manager and his/her manager as well. Practical skills and teamwork questions were at the forefront, and rightly so.

Interview Question – If you saw data in Excel that was in the form of "FirstName LastName (Description)", how would you break that so that "FirstName LastName" was in one cell and "(Description)" was in another.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to leverage some additional salary. I was in a fortunate position to already have a job so I was able to be more selective.

Helpdesk Specialist Interview

Helpdesk Specialist
Vernon Hills, IL

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at CDW in October 2010.

Interview Details – when hired I had a double interview and a working interview. Where i was required to build install hardware components into a desktop.

Proposal Writer II Interview

Proposal Writer II
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at CDW.

Interview Details – Interview process includes:
30 minute phone interview with Recruiter
In person interview with potential direct supervisor
Second in person interview with direct supervisor's manager
Writing exercise
Duration of hire/interview process was unique due to some internal miscommunications during the holidays and the recruiter being out on vacation.
Offer contingent upon passing drug test.

It's difficult to get into company without being referred by current coworker

Interview Question – Sample writing was not needed, but once interviews were complete, had to participate in a writing exercise to demonstrate writing ability   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate, as the initial offer was satisfactory

Sales Operations Supervisor Interview

Sales Operations Supervisor
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at CDW in August 2013.

Interview Details – Very disappointed by the attentiveness of the recruiters. Every step of the process takes weeks due to limited and/or complete lack of responsiveness. Then once they decide to move forward the interview process is done through HireVue which is the WORST possible method for interviewing due to the complete and utter lack of personal interaction, not to mention that if you do it on an iPad, you have to look at yourself through the entire thing.

Interview Question – It wasn't the questions that were hard, it was doing the interview through HireVue that was difficult. The App asks a question and you are given 30 seconds to compose an answer and 3 minutes to deliver it to the camera so that it can be recorded and then replayed for multiple decision makers.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Because of the bad impression I composed of the company during the hiring process.

Project Coordinator Interview

Project Coordinator
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CDW in May 2014.

Interview Details – First step- video interview submitted after application was submitted via employer Taleo portal online. Second step- over the phone interview with the recruiter Third step- over the phone interview with hiring manager Fourth step- in-person interview with hiring manager Fifth- offer stage(s)

Interview Question – There were a few that were role specific, but if you are a right fit it will be pretty easy to answer   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
Vernon Hills, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at CDW in April 2014.

Interview Details – Very good process overall. Lined up a variety of people for me to interview with, and just talk to about CDW and it's culture. Everyone was very friendly and professional. The cultural fit for an potential employee is critical and a lot of the interviewers are asking questions to understand how you approach issues, deal with colleagues, and work as a team (everyone is referred to as a co-worker at CDW, not an 'employee'). Successful applicants need to be able to demonstrate they have the entrepreneurial spirit seen in smaller companies but can appreciate the dynamics of working in a Fortune 500 (265) company. The talent acquisition specialist at CDW was great at keeping me informed throughout the process and checking in at key points. The only improvement they should make is to reduce the time it took to receive an offer after final interview. While I knew an offer was being prepared, the process was very drawn out and would run the risk of a candidate being lost to another employer.

Interview Question – No particularly difficult questions in themselves. However, the focus isn't just on what you achieved but on how you achieved it. The company is looking for evidence that people can work openly and collaboratively, and leave their egos at the door.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CDW in August 2011.

Interview Details – 30 minute phone call, then they bring you in. Good chance if that goes well then you will be offered a position on the spot. They do a background check to see if you attended the college you said. You will also undergo a drug test as well.

Interview Question – Basic interview questions about strengths, weaknesses, and times you overcame obstacles.   Answer Question

Worked for CDW? Contribute to the Community!