CDW Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015
Updated Mar 19, 2015

2.7

Inside Sales Account Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CDW.

Applied online and was contacted a few days later by a recruiter. Recruiter called to explain the position (25k base salary non-negotiable, 5.5 months of training, eligible for commission during third phase of training). She explained that it takes 3-5 years to build relationships and start making good money. She estimated that account managers typically make low 30's for the first 2 years. Set up a follow-up call, and she sent an email to help prepare for the interview. Phone interview took about 40 minutes. Went through my resume and experience, and asked behavior interview questions. The pay is extremely low.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer found a printer at a different retailer for a cheaper price, how would you react? Tell me about a time you influenced someone.   Answer Question

Information Technology Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CDW.

Applied online for several positions many months ago. Finally, after about two months or later an outsourced HR recruiter sent an email requesting to conduct a call to discuss a particular position in interest.

Sent an email reply to the HR recruiter providing number of available days/times to connect, but never heard back. All the available days/times proposed eventually expired. Reached out to the HR recruiter again and asked if this phone meeting still going to occur. She replies in a distorted manner stating, “yes”, but does not state when or what time. Once again, proposed additional available days/times to conduct a call, but the HR recruiter stated to connect the day of. Accepted the invite and finally we connected by phone.

General interview questions such as background experience and salary expectations over the phone. HR recruiter stated that it appears I am not qualified for the position, but she will proceed to present the resume to the hiring manager.

Informed HR recruiter that I have also applied online for other positions that I am interested in. She said, “Oh, ok…I will look into those as well and I will let you know.”

A week passed and never heard back. Sent an email to follow up and immediately she replied that I have been denied for all the positions I have applied for. Immediately after her email response I received number of automated email notifications that I have been denied for all the positions that I have applied for.

Performing some research on the particular HR recruiter who contacted me, and it appeared that CDW is out sourcing some or all of their HR recruiting processes. The “HR” lady who spoke with me over the phone regarding the positions was not even a CDW employee. She was a contractor.

Certainly with the way she was communicating over the email and finally over the phone with all the delays and ignorance aside, she appeared very distracted and not interested in my career search genuinely. Actually, she did not even care – she just wanted to meet some sort of quota in recruiting.

Later, after some more research I came across a finding that the particular HR recruiter I spoke with had her own business, but was working for CDW as a consultant.

Because I was so curious why I was denied for positions that I was clearly qualified for, I reached out to an inside source in CDW to forward and review my resume. This time I got an interview with an inside CDW HR personal. The transition was a lot more accurate this time around. However, at the end I decided not to take the position any way, because after performing more research I came to conclusion that the environment seems to be a total mess.

After all, the salaries they offer for the positions are way below market value (like $30K and below) for almost any position they post. Their positions and the reputation CDW provides appears to be misleading and some how not genuine.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular. Most common and general interview questions every other organization asks.   Answer Question

Organization seems to be very distorted and did not find happiness or comfort in the people I interacted with.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mettawa, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mettawa, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CDW.

Phone interview and screening with simple interview questions, followed by a face to face interview with management that consists of more professional questions pertaining to a career in sales, why you would like to do sales, strengths, weakness, situational questions about times of adversity.call back if accepted and then drug screening before job is finalized

Advanced Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at CDW in February 2015.

Applied through university career services, and received a on-site interview after 3 weeks. Two 30 minutes back to back interviews. One is more technical, the hiring manager asked questions about python, logistic regression, and past projects. I was asked to write some simple python code that loop through a list and get numbers larger than certain threshold. The hiring manager also asked the details about some of the projects listed in my resume. The other interview is more behavior based, and asked about my resume and past projects.

Interview Questions
    • Draw a image representation of the logistic regression model.   Answer Question

Associate Consulting Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CDW in February 2015.

The interview process was intense and in depth. I had three phone interviews, one video interview, one in person interview, and one personality test. However, from the time I found the job posted online until the time I was hired was only 11 days.
    I was interviewed by the talent acquisition office, a professional services manager, a technical lead, and the manager of associate consulting engineers. Although the interviews were intense and somewhat difficult, my extensive preparation made me successful. It also served to impress the interviewers that I was completely prepared for the questions they were going to ask.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between hubs, switches, and routers?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult decision when the right answer wasn't obvious.   View Answer

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CDW.

Process was smooth and helpful. The recruiter that contacted me was very thorough and up front about the position.

Applied online, then was contacted by the recruiter. After that there was a personality test, phone interview, then a one on one interview with a hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. 25K base.

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CDW.

Applied online within a few days received a phone call from a friendly recruiter who went over some scenario and behavioral based questions which lasted about twenty minutes. Received another phone call a few days latter again about setting up an interview with the hiring manager and another recruiter which again went over behavioral and scenario based questions. this interview lasted a about an hour total.

Interview Questions
    • random scenario based questions about sales and past experiences nothing difficult   Answer Question
    $12.25 hourly for 6 weeks during training. must pass a few tests to be put on salary! once an official team member $25k starting no negation room.

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at CDW.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter by email in two days. I was asked to answer some additional questions via email. Later she called and we quickly spoke over the phone about my background. Afterward, she wanted me to continue on with another phone interview with a manager for the following week.

The second call with the manager was more technical and he asking about specific examples from prior experiences. The call was very conversational and enjoyable. The feedback from the phone interview was positive and was asked to interview in person at the Vernon Hills Office. The interview were scheduled two week after my last call.

I met with three senior people from three different department that the PM role would be working with. Each meeting was 45 minutes long. The interviews were more relating past experience to their current processes and technical. I was asked to played out a couple of project management scenarios. Currently they are moving away from a Waterfall methodology to more of an Agile approach, so many of their questioning was center around processes. Interview seem to have gone well. Feedback was positive.

However, after waiting for about two weeks since the in person interview, I was told the position was placed on hold until the next year, as they wanted to fill the senior role prior to hiring this role.

Overall the interview process is smooth, however there is a need to followup with HR, as it could be long extended periods of waiting.

Interview Questions
    • Typical question, nothing atypical. Was asked to what I don't like about the website. How could we change it and why?   Answer Question

Marketing Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CDW.

Granted a phone interview based on a referral. Asked several elimination questions. Do you have experience with this, that, etc.? Received a short, cordial rejection email about a week later. A very good, well respected company. Will apply again if an appropriate position is available. Good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult. Just a series of elimination questions asking if I had experience with various marketing projects.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CDW.

About 3 days after applying for the position I received a phone call from a college recruiter asking to set up a phone interview. Consisted of mostly behavioral questions and 2 questions of how I would handle potential sales scenarios. About a week later, received a phone call saying that they would like me to interview with a hiring manager. The interview lasted about an hour and consisted of a few behavioral questions, how would handle situations, and small talk to get a feel of my personality. Over all it was a good experience, very friendly people!

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you disagreed with someone in the workplace and how you handled the situation?   Answer Question
    Salary was non negotiable, but commission is uncapped which was very appealing,