CEB

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CEB.

Interview Details – Did two phone interviews and then an in person interview. Two phone interviews lasted around 30 minutes each, the in person lasted for about an hour and a half. The in person went very well and I was told to expect a call back within a week. I sent follow up emails to my interviewers thanking them, but never heard anything back. I emailed them, along with my HR contact, a week later but never heard a thing. Pretty rude honestly, I drove 3 hours for the interview and the night before they moved my interview from 3pm to 11am. Frankly I'm glad I didn't get the job but I was still peeved never hearing anything from them.

Interview Question – The questions aren't difficult but they require you to really think in depth about past experiences, and have multiple takeaways from them.   Answer Question

Account Manager Associate Interview

Account Manager Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied online - interviewed at CEB in August 2013.

Interview Details – I received an invitation for a phone screening the day after I submitted my application. The phone screening was very smooth; I was expecting behavior type questions but we discussed at length my resume and what opportunity I was looking for. The woman who interviewed me was great; she stressed that this is was as much me learning about them as it was them learning about me. It was a very natural conversation. It didn't feel forced like many other phone screenings can be. I'm currently waiting for a response to see if I advance to the in-person interview.

Interview Question – I was expecting a lot of behavior questions but we spoke at length about my resume and experience   Answer Question

Account Manager/Business Development Role Interview

Account Manager/Business Development Role
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CEB in April 2013.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview with a recruiter, and just like every other review on here I was asked to come in for a face to face. The phone interview was a piece of cake and I'm not sure that anyone has done a phone interview with this company and not been asked to go in for a face to face. The face to face interview was all behavioral questions (6 of them) and seemed to me like kind of a joke. The two people interviewing me had only worked there for like 2 years and I am unsure how qualified they actually are to be interviewing. They did not have any meaningful follow up questions, I was dressed much more professionally than they were, and the entire process seemed too casual in general. After leaving the interview, which I thought I did very well, I immediately decided that whether I was offered a position or not, I was not going to work there. I would maybe suggest a place like this for someone coming right out of college, but if you have any experience at all my suggestion would be to look eslewhere.

Also, if you do interview here just google "behavioral interview questions" because that's definitely how they came up with their questions. You will definitely be prepared if you just do this.

Interview Question – Not many difficult questions. Very standard behavioral questions. Literally google some and you will find the questions they have for you.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Sales Associate, Middle Market Interview

Sales Associate, Middle Market
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CEB in April 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend who worked there. Recruiter was helpful, did a phone interview, then asked me to take an online assessment. This was two parts, one personality based, the other was aptitude (analyzing data, understanding what data means, graphs, logical order questions). Then I was handed a questionnaire of 4 behavioral questions to write my answer and submit before my in-person interview. This was tough, but they wanted writing samples and they told me I did very well. The in-person interview was very difficult and confusing. The first hour was an interview with a Director who asked me a number of behavioral questions, some similar to the ones I had already answered. He was very helpful, guided me through the process well, gave excellent feedback, and said I did very well. The recruiter informed me I did excellent on this part.

The second part was not such a great experience. They sat me in a room for an hour to review a "stack" of information, data they had run regarding a common problem in the HR industry. They also gave a situation sheet regarding the "sales situation" that I would be role-playing for. I was told before the interview that I would be demonstrating a sales process from start to finish. This is not what I was asked of in the interview. I interpreted the data just fine and was hoping to utilize my sales skills to "sell" or "pitch" the data as a solution for the "client". I met with a young, new sales manager, and then the sales director was over the phone. Rather than let me walk through a sales process, he broke it down into small sections, skipping parts of the process and instead asking me questions. The questions were confusing, jumped all over the sales process, from middle, to end, to beginning, to middle...it was very difficult to follow and I wasn't always clear on what he was asking. He had also interrupted one of my responses to his question saying "well what is it you sell, I don't know what it is you do." The situation sheet they provided me CLEARLY STATED "this individual you are selling to is familiar with your company and has used your services in the past." He then gave me a set of objections that I was to overcome. The "objections" he gave weren't objections, they were blow offs. It gave me the impression they weren't looking for sales professionals, but people who want to hound and annoy potential clients. I've done that before and I didn't feel that sales approach aligned with a consultative company like CEB, but I guess I may be wrong.

I'm a seasoned sales professional with a 7 year track record of success and have demonstrated my ability to deliver content to client and overcome objection. The evaluation process I was given did not effectively determine that and was pretty much a waste of my afternoon. I regret taking time off work to interview with them. When I left the interview I had decided I would not work for this company. They sent me a rejection email about 8 days later.

Interview Question – Mostly behavior questions, asking for examples of how you've handled situations. Seem hard at first but if you practice by googling "behavioral interview questions" you'll find yourself very prepared.   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CEB in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and first contact was a general phone interview. The phone interview was a positive experience and the recruiter was actually quite pleasant and engaged. Following the phone interview, I took an online assessment which was a pretty standard job assessment. Shortly after the assessment, I was contacted by the recruiter and informed that I passed the assessment at which time she offered the possibility of interviewing in person. Over the next few days, the recruiter scheduled an interview. I was greeted by a receptionist and led into a small room. This part of the interview process was a complete nightmare and felt more like an interrogation as opposed to a true judgement of my character and work ethic. While I understand behavioral interviewing techniques, this was ridiculous, unprofessional and completely turned me off. (I'm not joking.. I would have declined an offer if one had eventually been made; thats how bad this was). Initially, the greeting was ok and after sitting down, the interviewers didn't once mention a single thing on my resume, give me a chance to talk about myself or what I had to offer the company. Instead, they asked narrow and to be frank completely pointless questions. All of the questions asked were generic "Explain a time when you were faced with a tough sale and began losing it, what did you do... so on so forth". No matter what response I gave (always the truth), they gave each other a funny look and practically made me feel stupid. Both of these individuals were young, wouldn't qualify for a similar position at another company and came off completely unprofessional (at least in my opinion). Its interesting; the firm describes itself as a member based advisory firm that advise on best practices in several specific areas yet you think they would look more into creating a positive interview process. I completely understand if I didn't happen to be the right candidate and I applaud whoever got the position but if you want an honest assessment.. you'll do better elsewhere.

- I could prepare and lie my way through their process (questions far too generic). The questions don't prove anything.

Interview Question – All of the questions were unexpected, narrow and completely useless for really determining the quality of a candidate.   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CEB in February 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume, and had a phone interview. From there, I did two online assessments. I was then invited and flown in to the HQ in DC. We were given office tours, lunch, and I had a behavioral interview with 2 managers.

Interview Question – In the behavioral interview, some of the questions were pretty tough. The majority of the questions revolved around my sales experience. Because it was an entry level position, they said I could use examples from classes or extracurriculars, too.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a bonus of $10,000, and an initial salary of $40,000 as a Level 1 BDX Associate. Commission starts at Level 2. They offered full medical, dental and vision and a 401K plan. Other benefits included a gym membership, cell phone discounts, public transportation discounts, and tuition reimbursement. There were 9 holidays, and an additional 20ish paid days off per calendar year.

Business Development Specialist Interview

Business Development Specialist
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at CEB in January 2012.

Interview Details – Asked about my background. Why sales? Difference between them and a typical consulting firm. Then I was asked to answer a series of behavioral interview questions and how I would respond to the questions. The recruiters were nice and however the feedback I got was generic we are moving on from you.

Interview Question – Difference between us and a typical consulting firm   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CEB in June 2009.

Interview Details – Job description very different from actual job responsibilities. More sales than marketing focused.

Interview Question – How do you handle an irate client?   View Answer

Sales Executive Interview

Sales Executive
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CEB in November 2008.

Interview Details – The initial interview was with a recruiter with the company preformed over the phone which was not difficult. The second stage was to take a behavioral test on-line that included basic skills and intelligence test. Upon completion of the test the next day I received an email stating they were no longer going to proceed on to the next step since I didn't pass the test. When I inquired as to what was not passed, the company did not say what I missed and immediately ended the conversation and hung up. This was a red flag to me at which point I was glad no to proceed with this company.

Interview Question – Don't remember any specific questions.   Answer Question

Worked for CEB? Contribute to the Community!