CEB

Updated Jan 19, 2015
Updated Jan 19, 2015

2.9

Research Analyst Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CEB in April 2010.

What an enormous waste of time. Interviewed first with HR. Two weeks or so later was sent a writing evaluation to complete. Second interview with Research Manager, which went very, very well. 2 weeks later get a message from HR to schedule final interview with senior associates "ASAP" and "tomorrow if possible." I called back, left a message, and did not hear back, so I called again to follow-up. Spoke to HR, who took TEN DAYS to schedule another interview. Had two interviews with three different people, none of who had been in the division very long, and all of who seemed to be reading down a list of interview questions and paying absolutely no attention to what I said. I knew it was not going well and tried to steer the direction of the interview several times, but to no avail.

Got a form rejection email two weeks later.

What a ridiculous process.

Interview Questions
    • Vague questions about research experience,   View Answer

Sales Associate, Middle Market Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CEB in April 2013.

I was referred by a friend who worked there. Recruiter was helpful, did a phone interview, then asked me to take an online assessment. This was two parts, one personality based, the other was aptitude (analyzing data, understanding what data means, graphs, logical order questions). Then I was handed a questionnaire of 4 behavioral questions to write my answer and submit before my in-person interview. This was tough, but they wanted writing samples and they told me I did very well. The in-person interview was very difficult and confusing. The first hour was an interview with a Director who asked me a number of behavioral questions, some similar to the ones I had already answered. He was very helpful, guided me through the process well, gave excellent feedback, and said I did very well. The recruiter informed me I did excellent on this part.

The second part was not such a great experience. They sat me in a room for an hour to review a "stack" of information, data they had run regarding a common problem in the HR industry. They also gave a situation sheet regarding the "sales situation" that I would be role-playing for. I was told before the interview that I would be demonstrating a sales process from start to finish. This is not what I was asked of in the interview. I interpreted the data just fine and was hoping to utilize my sales skills to "sell" or "pitch" the data as a solution for the "client". I met with a young, new sales manager, and then the sales director was over the phone. Rather than let me walk through a sales process, he broke it down into small sections, skipping parts of the process and instead asking me questions. The questions were confusing, jumped all over the sales process, from middle, to end, to beginning, to middle...it was very difficult to follow and I wasn't always clear on what he was asking. He had also interrupted one of my responses to his question saying "well what is it you sell, I don't know what it is you do." The situation sheet they provided me CLEARLY STATED "this individual you are selling to is familiar with your company and has used your services in the past." He then gave me a set of objections that I was to overcome. The "objections" he gave weren't objections, they were blow offs. It gave me the impression they weren't looking for sales professionals, but people who want to hound and annoy potential clients. I've done that before and I didn't feel that sales approach aligned with a consultative company like CEB, but I guess I may be wrong.

I'm a seasoned sales professional with a 7 year track record of success and have demonstrated my ability to deliver content to client and overcome objection. The evaluation process I was given did not effectively determine that and was pretty much a waste of my afternoon. I regret taking time off work to interview with them. When I left the interview I had decided I would not work for this company. They sent me a rejection email about 8 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavior questions, asking for examples of how you've handled situations. Seem hard at first but if you practice by googling "behavioral interview questions" you'll find yourself very prepared.   View Answer

Bureau Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Norwood, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Norwood, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CEB in April 2014.

I began by sending my CV through Reed and received an email a few days later inviting me to complete an online assessment. It was simple really and I got an email saying I has passed the same day. I set up a date and time to have a telephone interviews with the recruiter via email. She called me and was really pleasant to speak with and I got the impression that she understood where I was coming from. I passed the telephone interview and was invited to a competency based interview at the office. I arrived there and everything just didn't seem right to me. The receptionists weren't friendly at all. It was just like standard procedure to them dealing with me and carried on their loud conversation. All but one of the workers didn't smile with me. It's like they were robots and didn't want to be there. I was finally called up to the interview rooms by one of the male managers who was really nice but the other manager look uninterested. She didn't smile and she was looking out the window when I walked into the room. All of this negative energy I picked up didn't make the interview any easier. The main manager was looking at her nails, was hardly giving me eye contact and at one point I saw her rolling her eyes at her colleague while I was talking. I stumbled on nearly all my answers and just felt stupid for even being there. A few days later I received a call telling me what I already knew so it was no surprise. All in all not a good experience at all.

Executive Advisor - Associate Director Level Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at CEB in April 2014.

I was contacted by the HR department to schedule a phone interview, then a few weeks later I was asked to come on site for a behavioral interview and an audition. The audition consisted of a script based on a study / research and I was asked to read it then, the 2 interviewers asked me questions to make sure I understood the concept of the study. I was pretty surprised about the nature of the interview process. People at CEB were very gracious and friendly and did not try to trick me. After that, I met with senior VP for a very detailed behavioral interview. The person asked me a lot of details regarding challenging situations I had faced during my profesional career, mostly involving convincing a client to adopt an idea or selling product.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was to articulate a 10 second sales pitch based on the idea of the script/ study i was given.   Answer Question

Account Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CEB in December 2013.

They first show you around one of the 2 buildings. They then give you a behavioral interview where you are asked multiple questions. Very nice people, great interview process

Interview Questions
    • All questions are related to your work background and how you solve certain problems   Answer Question

Web Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at CEB in September 2014.

Interview consisted of 4 rounds:-
    1) Communications Round- they will check your communication skills.
    2) Written test- checking of your written ability
    3) Technical/coding Test- HTML,CSS,Core Java, JSP etc.
    4) Personal Interview- One of the senior will have a word with you and also ask some technical and tricky questions.

Interview Questions
    • Writing a simple code in C++ of adding 2 numbers but the value should not be in numericals.   View Answer

Key Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CEB.

Initially a phone "screening" interview where there are standard questions including "why are you interested in working for us?", to which there seems to be only one answer, "career advancement". Based on that a F2F, CV interview with the internal recruiter is arranged at their offices in Holborn. Upon entering the building you can feel the seriousness straight away. They are very hospitable and smiley people, and give you a warm welcome which is pleasing. After the first F2F (yes, the first) the next stage is an online personality test which I did at home, I was given 3 days to submit this. Next, you are sent a Word doc. asking you to detail experiences you have had based on certain scenarios using their STAR technique. You have 5 days to submit this. The final stage is a 3 hour meeting, part 1 is where you get to meet one of the decision makers and go through your CV again and a general Q&A, part 2 is where you are given a scenario and need to plan for a sales meeting with a client to sell them a CEB membership, and the 3rd hour is the sales meeting itself with the person from part 1, acting as the aforementioned client.

Sales Development Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CEB.

Initial phone interview went great, talked with the recruiter and established a quick and friendly bond. Quickly completed the assessment after the phone interview, returned it to my recruiter and was contacted within 2 days about being flown out for a final round interview. Final round was not as planned, was supposed to be a panel interview with 2 individuals and only one showed up, and did not address the absence until I asked about it. Behavioral interviews are difficult and I prepped well, but I wasn't asked questions like "why do you want to work here?" or other simplistic questions that I expected. Went straight into the behavioral questions after a bit of small talk.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to understand someone's values in order to sell them on something.   Answer Question

Engagement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CEB in October 2012.

Had an initial few calls with the internal recruiter (very nice), who asked for general questions, then a slightly more detailed interview to screen to see if I was a good fit.

Scheduled main interview - went into the CEB headquarters (great building) and interview with a few people, each a different type of interview. For all of them I was given an HBR article about a piece of the company's research (several days in advance), and for the first person I had to summarize the person mentioned in the article in one word (and explain why). For the second person I had to talk about how I would use the ideas from the article to persuade a C level exec. Third person was a standard behavioral interview where we talked about the role and the company.

Good process overall - took a little while but everyone was nice and helpful. Took the job, and am very happy at the company so far.

Interview Questions
    • The piece around persuading the ceo was the toughest - I think its easy to slip into BS with those questions so the hard part is keeping it realistic while still doing a good job selling your ideas.   Answer Question
    Didn't really negotiate at all, which was pretty dumb. I was very excited for the offer and jumped on it too quickly.

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CEB in February 2013.

Psychometric tests

Telephone interview

Face 2 Face interview

The interview took place at CEB offices in Holborn. Two hiring managers jointly conducted the interview. The initial stages of the interview followed a normal path with the usual questions where you are asked to follow a STAR technique and then a role-play where you are required to simulate a sales call to an executive.
    Throughout the interview, while one fo the two asked the questions and listened to my reply the other manger acted in a weird manner, yawning and checking the time on her watch. I had the impression this was staged and probably a way to test my reactions or my personality. Although this appeared unusual I had no problem whatsoever with this and I felt comfortable and confident.

Towards the end of the interview on of the two manager posed me a question that I felt had no reason to be asked and that really changed the atmosphere in the room, making me feel uncomfortable and unwanted as a potential future employee. She asked: “ How do you feel being 28 years old and knowing that most of the other candidates competing with you for this vacancy are fresh graduates from university and are much younger than you, in fact in their early 20s? ”. I tried not to look surprised by the question and answered professionally and with a good answer, which I do not need to detail here. However, as I formulated my answer I start feeling deeply offended and discriminated against by her question, which in fact did not sound as a question but rather as an affirmation of the fact that my age was a problem that made me unsuitable for the position.

Although I am sure that me being 28 years old played no part in the decision that they made regarding my application, I know her question did, since my state of mind changed drastically: I felt harassed and discriminated in a context (a job interview) that is not comfortable and relaxed in itself , this caused me to take a defensive attitude that apparently led to the decision of not taking my application further (as highlighted in the feedback I received from you).

When I left the conference room where the interview had taken place, I was “beaten up” and “shoked” by the experience , later that day, I began doubting I wanted to work for a company where my superior or my colleagues could show a similar behavior towards me.

CEB takes pride in stating that they are an equal opportunity company, my experience would not support that statement. I have submitted a formal complaint to the HR director of the company and an inquiry has been started to investigate this matter.

To all of you who are applying at CEB, good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Role play was difficult.
      Stars questions are not easy but you can prepare for those.

Answer Question