CEB Sales Executive Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at CEB (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Overall, the process had its highs and lows. I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. After an initial phone conversation, I was routed to a different recruiter that was representing a different position. I worked with the recruiter through a formal phone interview process, which was followed by an online assessment/personality profile. After completing the first steps, I was scheduled for an in person meeting in CEB's Chicago office. Upon arrival, I was brought to a tiny 8x8 room with a table and a video phone. I was left there with an example PowerPoint slide deck to be reviewed for a mock sales presentation. After about 5 minutes, I was joined by my first interviewer. The process was completely impersonal. My interviewer read questions directly off of his laptop computer (word for word). As I was answering the questions, he kept his head down and typed my responses into his computer. This process went on for an hour. I was left with virtually no time to ask any questions or interview my interviewer to see if CEB is the right fit for ME. After completing the first hour, I was left for an hour to study a PowerPoint and take notes to formulate a "pitch." I participated in a simulated sales call with my 2nd reviewer. She was on a video phone from her office (in the same building). As if trying to get someone to learn material and formulate a proper sales presentation within an hour wasn't difficult enough, to make them sit through a video phone interview with someone in the same office was just odd. Normally I would have expected to present a familiar sales presentation (say something that I have already been selling), where my confidence and rhythm isn't thrown off by new material and a talking head on a video phone. After completing the sales presentation, I was once again left with virtually no time to ask questions to my interviewer. The next day, I was told that I would have feedback on my interview and a decision within a week. After waiting patiently, I was forced to initiate contact with my recruiter. She informed me that I should hold tight because she hasn't been able to receive any feedback from the interviewers. After over 3 weeks, I sent my notification that I was no longer considering the position, and that I had accepted another offer. The message from the interviewers and recruiter was that CEB practices what they preach. In the case of sales, they believe in the Challenger method - which asks the sales executive to challenge the prospect to help expose the need. In this case, I would challenge CEB to take a look at their over formalized recruitment process. The whole process was very off-putting, and ultimately led to my decision to look elsewhere. Understanding that prospective employees have options in the workforce and don't ultimately have to work for CEB would be a good start. Allowing the interviewee to explore and ask questions to determine if CEB is the right decision would be a vital part of the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you were disappointed in a sales related experience. How did you recover/overcome this experience?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CEB

Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at CEB.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, online assessment, long 3 hour in person interview with hiring managers. Role play included. Not too difficult however. First part is behavioral questions, then an hour to prepare for role play, then role play and feedback/questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at CEB (Arlington, VA) in March 2011.

Interview

CEB uses a behavioral model for the interviewing questions. So rather than, "what are your strengths & weaknesses?" they ask you to describe certain situations, i.e. "Describe a time when you had a difficult customer who said no at first, but you found a way to convince him to buy."

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to convince someone to buy.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CEB (Arlington, VA) in November 2010.

Interview

I applied online and within a week received an email requesting suitable time slots for a phone interview. The interview was much easier than I expected, consisting only very basic questions such as “What are you looking for? Go through resume, what’s my salary expectation, etc”. I guess it wasn’t a very good fit, as she said she’ll get back to me the following week, but never did.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CEB (Chicago, IL) in November 2008.

Interview

The initial interview was with a recruiter with the company preformed over the phone which was not difficult. The second stage was to take a behavioral test on-line that included basic skills and intelligence test. Upon completion of the test the next day I received an email stating they were no longer going to proceed on to the next step since I didn't pass the test. When I inquired as to what was not passed, the company did not say what I missed and immediately ended the conversation and hung up. This was a red flag to me at which point I was glad no to proceed with this company.

Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at CEB.

Interview

Three stage interview process: first is over the phone, second is face-to-face and third competency assessment and role-play. There is also a Hogan test along the way. They do make you wait, so be prepared. If you applying for sales position, could use this to show how well you can follow up and chase. Competency and role play are most difficult, it's best to use strategic approach to the scenarios suggested.

Interview Questions

• Describe the most rewarding experience you had? Why you had chosen it?   Answer Question

Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CEB in August 2011.

Interview

After initial phone conversation I was invited to take the online personality test and the numerical reasoning test. Since I was successful, I was invited to a 1:1 interview with two representatives of the company. Interview entailed experience-based questions and a phone call simulation with an unwilling client. The job was mainly about cold-calling other people and trying to schedule meetings with superiors.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about making research about a company?   Answer Question

Sales Executive Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CEB in August 2009.

Interview

Phone interview, then a personality test and business reasoning test