CEB Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Mar 20, 2015
Updated Mar 20, 2015

2.9

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CEB (Washington, DC).

Interview

Went through 2 phone interviews, one live. First phone interview was the normal HR screen. Second one was with the hiring manager to see if it's a skills match. After passing that to see if it's a cultural match - there was a heavy emphasis put on this throughout the process - they flew me out to headquarters where I met with 5 people. Three were one-on-one discussions and one was a two-on-one conversation. Prior to the interview they reiterated it was not a very formal company and encouraged me to "be myself".

Business Development Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CEB (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process started with a 30 minute phone interview with a recruiter followed by an online questionnaire for the first round. The final round was an in person interview with a writing sample. The writing sample was behavior and situational questions. The two people who interviewed me then asked me very similar questions that were in the written sample. I was hoping more for a conversation between peers about my skill set and the company needs. Instead it was more of an on the spot, standardized questioning. Much of which they already knew from my writting sample so I did not really see the point of asking basically the same questions over again. However,the recruiter and interviewers were very nice

Interview Questions

• Explain a situation where you were trying to meet a goal but something happened to prevent you from reaching that goal. What did you do? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CEB (Arlington, VA) in January 2015.

Interview

Took about 2 weeks for an email and then it was followed by a phone interview. The person who I interview with was very pleasant, and answered all my questions regarding pay, vacation time, religious holiday etc. The questions that were asked were very general questions, for example, what would I contribute to the company, where do I see myself within the next 2 years.

Interview Questions

• what would I contribute to the company, where do I see myself within the next 2 years?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CEB (Arlington, VA) in December 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very short. I was qualified for the position but the only thing that seemed to matter was whether I had business to business sales experience. I have many years of sales experience (non-retail) but that wasn't good enough. The interview was effectively over after I told them that I had no business to business sales experience. Don't waste your time applying for this position unless you have this specific skill set. You will be very quickly disqualified otherwise.

Interview Questions

• What is your specific business to business sales experience?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CEB (Arlington, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied through my campus career center. The process took about a month. The application itself is your standard resume + cover letter deal. I also met people from CEB at our university's career fair and scheduled a coffee meeting with the recruiter. I think this was really helpful for me in securing an interview, because the company stresses that they hire based on personality as well as resume/GPA. So chatting more with the recruiter let her decide if I would be able to "fit" with the company.

After reviewing resumes, the recruiting team reached out to me and asked me to complete an online assessment as well as for an in-person interview. The assessment had to be completed at some point prior to the interview. The assessment had some math/logic questions and also some aptitude and personality questions to gauge the type of worker that I am. It is very clear that CEB cares about office culture.

There is only one "round" of interviews. This took place on campus. It's an hour-long fit interview followed by an hour-long case interview. The fit is very standard in terms of the types of questions. The case was also pretty easy, compared to most other case interviews I've done. So if you've prepped yourself for the case, you will definitely be fine.

It took CEB about 1.5 weeks to get back to me after the interview, and they invited me to a "welcome day" in their office. The odd thing was that while I was invited to the welcome day about a week in advance, they did not extend a formal offer to me until the day before I flew to the CEB office. I don't know why that's their protocol, it seemed a bit odd to me and to other people whom I know received offers. But I digress--the key takeaway here is that a welcome day does equal an offer, even though they don't tell you at first.

The interviewers were lovely people, and the recruiting team was super helpful. Everyone at CEB clearly cares about what they do and also about the people with whom they work. Each person I met seemed to be genuinely happy. It seems like a great place to work.

Interview Questions

• "Which do you value more: submitting a project/assignment on time, or submitting perfect work?"   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CEB (Washington, DC) in October 2014.

Interview

One behavioral and one case interview- the behavioral was standard and no real trouble if you've been preparing for questions about your skillset, background, etc. I found the case to be a bit difficult, as it was really open ended and not a specific type of case interview as you read about in Case in Point.

Interview Questions

• Case interview question about marketing/developing/executing the sale of a new type of corrective contact lens   Answer Question

Research Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CEB (Arlington, VA).

Interview

This is a detailed account of my experiences with CEB's interview process.

I was contacted through LinkedIn by a CEB recruiter. We scheduled a phone interview. The recruiter was very friendly and we had a great conversation about my experiences and how they would fit within CEB. At the end of the call she determined that I was qualified to apply for the Research Consultant opening at their Arlington, VA office. She asked me to apply for the position and then send her an email to let her know I had submitted-explaining that this would flag my application for her.

Two weeks went by and I received an email from the recruiter. However it was worded in a manner that suggested that she did not remember our previous conversation. When I responded I made sure I said "I am looking forward to continuing our conversation." We had a great conversation (approx. 45 mins) and she said she was going to elevate me to the next stages of the process and that she would get back to me soon.

Another two weeks went by and I received a call, middle of the afternoon, from a different recruiter. She was calling to let me know that the first recruiter was "no longer with CEB" and that she was "picking up the pieces." Okay... She then went into asking me interview questions; many of which I had already answered with the first recruiter (this is to be expected sometimes but I am including it so others know what to expect). About 10 minutes into the call she says "Oh, I guess I should have asked you if this was a good time to talk." At the end of this call she informed me that they were going to send me some tests to take.

She told me the name of the person sending the tests and asked that after finishing I email both of them to let them know.

I received a Raven's Progressive Matrices test and a Hogan API personality assessment.

After finishing these I emailed both individuals and didn't hear back for a week. I then received an email from another person inviting me for an in-person interview in Arlington. She CC'd another person on the email "who would be coordinating my interview" and asked that I respond to both individuals with my availability to interview.

I was told, "She will also send you information with regards to booking travel."

I responded with my availability (which was flexible) and about a week later received my interview time slot. About 2 hours later she wrote back and changed the time. When I received the email it did not contain any information about booking travel. However the email encouraged me to ask any questions.

I responded that I was looking forward to the interview and had marked my calendar for (insert date and time here). I also asked about receiving the information in regards to booking travel.

8 days went by, no response. This is now 6 days from my supposed interview. No travel arrangements. No further contact.

I withdrew from the interview process. VERY unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mostly related to skills and experiences. Easy.   Answer Question

Account Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at CEB (Arlington, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview was frankly very shoddy. I have interviewed twice with CEB and both times they did a very poor job of explaining the roles and how they decide where to place you. You do not get to have informational interviews with current employees, so it is hard to know what the job will be like.

Interview Questions

• nothing really unexpected. Very much the behavioral CAR/STAR method   Answer Question

Negotiation

they gave me plenty of time to consider, very flexible on that. They offered me a position lower than what I interviewed for, but I wanted to come back to DC so I accepted.

Business Development/Account Management Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CEB (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Phone Interview - More than average walk me through your resume etc.; the interviewer asked a few behavioral questions so be ready. 2 Online Assessments, 1 Reading Test and 1 Personality Test. Interview in person with 2 people; easy and casual. Offer extended a little over a week later. Recruiter was helpful and sent a lot of material to help prepare for the interview.

Interview Questions

• All Behavioral Questions. Go to the Interview Toolkit on their website under the Career section - all of the behavioral questions were on the list. Follow CAR method and practice talking over your answers before the interview. The questions are very detailed/ specific but if you prepare you will be fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Quantitative Research Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CEB (Arlington, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

Experience: My overall experience with recruitment process was really great. I enjoyed the interview and thought the questions were fair and in line with what I expected. I got the sense that CEB is a place for intellectually curious and research minded people. Also, it is a bonus that they do HR research and appear to be incorporating those insights back in to making CEB a great working environment.

Procedure: My procedural experience was pretty in line with other responses. I connected with a CEB recruiter, she then messaged me the next day. We had a phone interview 3 days after initial contact, was flown out 7 days later, and was given a job offer 3 days after my in-person interviews. Total time: approximately 2 weeks.

Content: During the initial phone interview, the recruiter asked guiding questions to figure out where I might be the best fit with in the company. I also took an online reasoning and personality test. The in-person interview was broken into three parts. The first part involved analyzing a case and developing a model - straightforward here, if you have research experience. The second portion asked straightforward questions like, "tell me about a time when you had to work under extreme time constraints. Sticking to the circumstance - action - response structure is key here. Finally, there was a fun intellectual curiosity exercise were you start with an unstructured idea and generate hypothesis around that idea. It is more like a casual conversation, and the key is being creative here.

Offer: I was very pleased with my offer, both pay and benefits. I attempted to negotiate moving expenses, but I think it is pretty standard not to give them. Overall, I was happy with the offer and excited to work at CEB, so it was not a deal breaker for me.

Interview Questions

• I thought the questions were on target. They have guides online, and if you follow those, are research minded, and creative with your thought - your interview should go smoothly.   Answer Question