CENTRA (Massachusetts)

Updated Jan 6, 2015
Updated Jan 6, 2015

2.1

Process Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CENTRA (Massachusetts).

Interview

A friend forwarded a woman from Centra looking for someone who could immediately fill a position, so I sent her a cover letter and resume and she responded within two hours saying she wanted to put me in touch with a recruiter. He called the next day, and then I had an interview the next week. The interview seemed more like them describing how I fit the role, with just a couple questions about my background but otherwise more focused on the position itself. They told me I would hear back from them the next week.

Interview Questions

• Started the interview with "do you have any questions for me?"   1 Answer

Principal Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CENTRA (Massachusetts).

Interview

Very easy process. They contacted me after a job fair and I had a phone interview with my potential program manager and a member of senior management. Both were pleasant and professional and the conversation was less about asking me questions and more about explaining the contract they were recruiting me for. This was followed up with an in-person interview with the VP in charge of the division recruiting me and a senior analyst. Again, the interview was easy and relaxed, with the two interviewers doing their utmost to sell me on the company.

Interview Questions

• This was truly the most enjoyable interview experience I've had, and I don't recall being asked anything unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at CENTRA (Massachusetts).

Interview

Usually interview through internal recommendations/referrals. I was offered an interview because of a referral, and was hired within seven days. The interview process was informal, and included an information session about the company. Threre weren't many questions asked about my skills or qualifications. Bottom line - get referred.

Negotiation

If it's an internal hire, make sure you know what to ask for in terms of salary.

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CENTRA (Massachusetts) (Arlington, VA).

Interview

The process was straightforward and free of gimmicks. Centra dealt forthrightly and respectfully with me during the application and interview process and was prompt and courteous in followup. I felt I had been treated fairly and honestly.

Interview Questions

• Don't recall any unexpected questions nor any issue I found difficult to address.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I made a proposal, offered a rationale, and they accepted. Some negotiation on benefits took a bit longer but was settled amicably to my satisfaction.

Translator/Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CENTRA (Massachusetts) (Arlington, VA) in May 2012.

Interview

I was interviewed individually by several people. They were all initially friendly except the main executive. He was not impressed that my translation experience was volunteer, although I'd been unable to find employment because of the economy. Another person seemed to think I was not serious because my hair was curled.

I was not impressed by the environment here. Professionalism to me means treating people respectfully and politely and not dealing out snap judgments. I decided not to complete my application for the position.

Interview Questions

• I froze on the in-office translation test because it was totally unexpected, and the manager administrating it was openly scornful of me.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CENTRA (Massachusetts) (Burlington, MA) in September 2010.

Interview

The hiring process was slow and drawn-out. I applied online via email. One month later I received an email from the hiring manager, requesting a phone interview. I was screened by phone by two managers, and they asked general questions about my background to make sure that I was qualified and truly interested. They told me a bit about the company and the work as well. It took weeks for them to invite me in for an in-person interview in the office.

In the office, I met with two managers (one different from the phone screen) and we spoke for about an hour as I recall. They asked me all sorts of questions about my experience in school and studying abroad, what type of work I enjoy, what is challenging, my strengths/weaknesses, career objectives, and asked me to summarize the findings of my senior thesis. To my surprise, they asked me to tell them my salary requirements right there on the spot. I do not recommend that anyone do this in the future. I should have declined to answer at this early stage in the interview process.

About a month went by, and I stayed in touch with the hiring manager but she had not yet made a decision. She called to check in with me sometimes to make sure I was still interested and available, because their hiring process was so slow and lengthy.

I finally received an offer about 90 days after receiving the request for a phone interview, and they asked me to start right away.

Interview Questions

• What are the most exciting findings from your senior thesis?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very difficult to negotiate salary since it is an entry-level job. I did negotiate up but only by $1,000 annually. The company tends to ask people to name their price up front. I discourage this. Wait until they are really interested in you and then talk money. If they really want you, you will have more leverage in negotiating salary.

Intelligence Analyst Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at CENTRA (Massachusetts) (Arlington, VA) in July 2009.

Interview

Odd interview because I didn't apply for the position, but was contacted by a head hunter because of my prior work experiences. I wasn't really asked any questions - they just described the position and their corporate culture. I think they needed to fill a contract, and my resume happened to be qualified for the position. Overall, a positive experience - the people there were nice and seemed eager to have me join the company.

Interview Questions

Interview

I had a most exasperating experience interviewing and then dealing with its recruiter afterward for a job offer.

I was called by the recruiter who saw my resume to come in for an interview for an existing position they needed to urgently fill. I performed very well on the interview with the manager and the recruiter was supposed to get an offer to me very shortly afterward.

When the recruiter contacted me, they offered me a lowball offer, saying my salary requirements were too high. I knew what other companies were offering for someone of my skillset and I did not sell myself cheap. The recruiter became very rude and told me they would not meet my requirements. Fine, I left them with that and went my way.

A few weeks later, the recruiter called me out of the blue and asked if I was still interested in the job. I told them my salary requirement still was the same, and the recruiter again promised to get me an offer with that number in mind. It's been 3 weeks and I've not heard one word from them.

This is by far the most exasperating experience I have had with any company during my job search. The Jekyll and Hyde reactions I've received from its recruiter does not leave a good taste in my mouth, and I would hesitate to work for them if they treated all employees in such a manner.