CERN Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 25, 2014
12 interviews

2.6

Technical Student Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at CERN in January 2009.

I applied for technical student position. After initial submit I was contacted after 1-2 months. I got only 2 phone interviews with very friendly guy. He was curious about my skills and work experience I did during my university. The whole phone call was not longer than 30 min. The guy described me the work I should do and we checked once more the start date.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't find it hard. Maybe I've got enough experience for this level.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at CERN in November 2010.

Initially I had to upload all the relevant documents, that are a lot including three reference from different person. The documentation include a motivation letter and a detailed list of your relevant skills with examples. The interview committee is composed by one representative of the HR, the section leader of the group you will be hired in and a couple of expert of the subject. I had a short presentation of my career and I distributed a printed copy of it to all the participants, this was appreciated. I got few questions about my technical knowledge and many questions about my attitude to the work, the relations with the colleagues and how I overcame difficult situations. The fact that my presentation sticked completely to the subject of the post was really appreciated so I suggest that each candidate read the post description carefully and prepare a short presentation and/or speech enhancing all her/his inherent skills.

Interview Questions
    • I expected just an oral interview with the board but before I had to fill a full questionnaire with general knowledge of CERN and specific questions requiring calculation and theoretical knowledge. Finally it was a good selection method   Answer Question

Project Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CERN.

I applied Online vial email to the recruiter. Got an email in about a week asking about a time slot for the interview. This was followed by an telephonic interview which lasted for about 30 minutes or so. I was asked about my motivation for the job and other technical questions related to work.

Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Geneva (Switzerland)
    Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

I interviewed online - interviewed at CERN in April 2013.

There is a website created for every summer school on the CERN pages. The application is very simple and requires a CV, a kind of motivation letter (in a form) and also some reccomendation letters. These letters are submitted directly from your references, not directly from the application website.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't tecnical questions in the online application.   Answer Question

Applied Physicist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at CERN.

applied via ert.cern.ch, pay attention to forms and what is put in, good recommendation on site, pre-selected, single interview, and got the job.

Interview Questions
    • technical questions were OK, (overly) strong emphasis on CERN's competency model (aka. formalised version of 'soft skills'), otherwise very friendly and collaborative   View Answer
    no negotiation possible, all salary/benefits based on tables: age, PhD yes/no, family yes/no, ...

Junior Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Geneva (Switzerland)
    Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at CERN in June 2011.

For Junior Fellow I just had a typical phone interview, mostly get informet about my new job tasks and some questions about my previous job experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at CERN in December 2011.

I had previous experience, perhaps for that reason I just received two e-mails from two different sections and departments, explaining if I feel able to end the purposed projects.
    I answered yes to both of them and in the selection committee one of the departments hired me.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't received technical questions, but I have friends who received a code challenge.   View Answer

Technical Student Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at CERN in November 2011.

Normally there is no interview for such positions, only a selection committee.
    But sometimes there is a phone or skype interview.

Junior Fellow Interview

One should apply through the dedicated web portal with filling required information, a great motivation letter, few recommendations from professors, cross the finger and if you are good you may get the job! If you don't get the job at the first time, try again, internal groups not always look for someone at every fellow turn.

Project Associate Interview

Applications are filled online, where you include the following: forms about education information and previous university degrees, mandatory motivation letter (which is very important in the selection process) and two recommendation letters signed by previous supervisors, your plans and prospects about future projects and scientific career. Also, you have to specify in which field you would like most to gain more knowledge and experience.

Interview Questions
    • Estimates about future progress in education and field of interest   View Answer

Worked for CERN? Contribute to the Community!