CERN

Updated Sep 29, 2014
Updated Sep 29, 2014

2.6

Technical Student Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CERN in January 2009.

I applied for technical student position. After initial submit I was contacted after 1-2 months. I got only 2 phone interviews with very friendly guy. He was curious about my skills and work experience I did during my university. The whole phone call was not longer than 30 min. The guy described me the work I should do and we checked once more the start date.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't find it hard. Maybe I've got enough experience for this level.   Answer Question

Project Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CERN.

I applied Online vial email to the recruiter. Got an email in about a week asking about a time slot for the interview. This was followed by an telephonic interview which lasted for about 30 minutes or so. I was asked about my motivation for the job and other technical questions related to work.

Applied Physicist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CERN.

applied via ert.cern.ch, pay attention to forms and what is put in, good recommendation on site, pre-selected, single interview, and got the job.

Interview Questions
    • technical questions were OK, (overly) strong emphasis on CERN's competency model (aka. formalised version of 'soft skills'), otherwise very friendly and collaborative   View Answer
    no negotiation possible, all salary/benefits based on tables: age, PhD yes/no, family yes/no, ...

Summer Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

I applied online – interviewed at CERN in April 2013.

There is a website created for every summer school on the CERN pages. The application is very simple and requires a CV, a kind of motivation letter (in a form) and also some reccomendation letters. These letters are submitted directly from your references, not directly from the application website.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't tecnical questions in the online application.   Answer Question

Junior Fellow Interview

One should apply through the dedicated web portal with filling required information, a great motivation letter, few recommendations from professors, cross the finger and if you are good you may get the job! If you don't get the job at the first time, try again, internal groups not always look for someone at every fellow turn.

Project Associate Interview

Applications are filled online, where you include the following: forms about education information and previous university degrees, mandatory motivation letter (which is very important in the selection process) and two recommendation letters signed by previous supervisors, your plans and prospects about future projects and scientific career. Also, you have to specify in which field you would like most to gain more knowledge and experience.

Interview Questions
    • Estimates about future progress in education and field of interest   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at CERN in December 2011.

I had previous experience, perhaps for that reason I just received two e-mails from two different sections and departments, explaining if I feel able to end the purposed projects.
    I answered yes to both of them and in the selection committee one of the departments hired me.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't received technical questions, but I have friends who received a code challenge.   View Answer

Technical Student Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CERN in November 2011.

Normally there is no interview for such positions, only a selection committee.
    But sometimes there is a phone or skype interview.

Junior Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CERN in June 2011.

For Junior Fellow I just had a typical phone interview, mostly get informet about my new job tasks and some questions about my previous job experience

Financial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CERN in January 2011.

On recommendation from a colleague I had a preliminary meeting with the Bulgarian Team Leader and after his recommendation I have establish contact with my future CERN supervisor:
    1. e-mail exchange
    2. phone interview
    3. skills test
    4. interview in person

Interview Questions
    We mage arrangements for my moving to Geneva.