CFPB

CFPB Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2015
Updated Feb 16, 2015

Pathways Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CFPB in January 2015.

After new years I received a flurry of emails from different teams at the CFPB looking to set up phone interviews. I did about 14 phone interviews (including some departments twice). Everyone was very nice that I spoke to, and offered a great deal of info. They all asked the same typical questions, and pitched their offices ahead of other offices within the CFPB. I really enjoyed getting to learn about so many different aspects of the CFPB, and had some nice conversations. I do wish the process could have been streamlined a bit, 14 phone interviews all asking the same questions was too much. The next week I received an email from HR with offers from some of the offices, and I was asked to pick just one to proceed with. Unfortunately, from there I was only given another week and half to accept the offer. This was January, far before other first round interviews had even taken place. It might have been a great job, and I might have accepted the offer if they had given a reasonable timeframe, but who knows.

Director's Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CFPB.

Found the position at an on campus career fair. Applied online, and within a few days was prompted to submit a written assessment, which dealt with analyzing data and correlations. Next was 3 skype interviews, one behavioral and two case studies.

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CFPB in October 2014.

I was contacted within a week or two of applying. The first step was a roughly hour long written assessment, which was essentially a case study of a financial market. While most of the questions could be answered qualitatively I think they're looking for you to use quantitative methods, e.g., run regressions. It was all done over email. After that came a series of three phone/Skype interviews which were a mix of behavioral and technical questions. I wasn't terribly impressed with the interview process. Several of the interviews started late (15+ minutes.) I was also told they would all be Skype intefviews, but some were phone interviews instead.

Interview Questions
    • Based on a data set, is there reason to believe a given variable influences another variable?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CFPB.

I applied to the job through a posting submitted to my career services department at my college. Within a week or so, I was notified by phone that I had been selected for an interview. As I would be passing by the area at the right time (Washington, DC), I let them know I could appear for an in-person interview. I was interviewed in their office by two junior members of the Mortgage Analysis team and one senior member. I was notified I had gotten the internship within a week following the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked in detail about my experience working with large datasets and the full process of procuring the dataset, cleaning it, what tests I ran, what results I got, and how I packaged and presented those results.   Answer Question

Lead, Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at CFPB in August 2014.

I was interviewed by a panel of 4 individuals - 3 in leadership positions within the agency, 1 employee on the team that this position would manage. They were all very friendly, engaging. The interview process was very candidate friendly. One of the disadvantages of interviewing with a federal government agency is that it is difficult to obtain a status update - this experience was no different. I received electronic notification in January 2015.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were either behavioral or situational   Answer Question

Student Trainee (Policy Assistant) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CFPB.

Applied through USAJobs.gov and CFPB website -- heard back 4 months later. Initial contact was made a week before the interview date. Was interviewed once telephonically -- length of interview was approximately 20-25 minutes. Heard back within a week and was offered the position. Entire length of hiring process from initial contact was about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions - mostly behavioral. Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Telephonic and then in-person interview with panel.

Interview Questions
    • Normal attorney interview designed to determine experience level .   Answer Question

Policy Assistant (Summer) Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CFPB.

Applied through USAjobs.gov. Heard back two months later. Interviewed with two different teams. There were mostly behavioral and fit questions, and a few standards ("why CFPB?" "tell me about yourself"). Took a couple of weeks to get back to me with a decision.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you worked in a cross-functional/multidisciplinary team.   Answer Question

Consumer Response Position CN-51 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at CFPB in March 2013.

I applied in December 2012. Was referred to selecting official in January 2013. Had my first interview in March. Had two subsequent interviews.

I would describe the inteview process for my position as not overtly technical and unorganized. The person who interviewed me for the third time had no idea I had interview twice before.

The staff that interviewed me were very nice and knowledgeable about their positions and departments. They immediately made me feel welcomed.

The interview process could be streamlined. It seems burdensome and does not do a good job of extracting the information necessary to choose the best person. I was chosen and accepted the position, but given the type of position, I was expecting better questioning.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate the CN level or salary. It was 13K more that was I was making with my previous employer.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CFPB in November 2011.

I had a nice interaction with the two directors at CFPB. CFPB is a relatively new agency established by the current President to oversee the consumer market. There were 2 1:1 interviews, one fit and one case. The case was not very hard, but candidates must be organized to solve the case. Candidates must really be interested to work for a government agency and really know what CFPB does in order to be moved forward in the recruitment process.