CFPB

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Student Trainee (Policy Assistant) Interview

Student Trainee (Policy Assistant)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CFPB.

Interview Details – Applied through USAJobs.gov and CFPB website -- heard back 4 months later. Initial contact was made a week before the interview date. Was interviewed once telephonically -- length of interview was approximately 20-25 minutes. Heard back within a week and was offered the position. Entire length of hiring process from initial contact was about 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions - mostly behavioral. Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Attorney Interview

Attorney

Interviewed at CFPB

Interview Details – Telephonic and then in-person interview with panel.

Interview Question – Normal attorney interview designed to determine experience level .   Answer Question

Policy Assistant (Summer) Interview

Policy Assistant (Summer)

I applied online and interviewed at CFPB.

Interview Details – Applied through USAjobs.gov. Heard back two months later. Interviewed with two different teams. There were mostly behavioral and fit questions, and a few standards ("why CFPB?" "tell me about yourself"). Took a couple of weeks to get back to me with a decision.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you worked in a cross-functional/multidisciplinary team.   Answer Question

Consumer Response Position CN-51 Interview

Consumer Response Position CN-51
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at CFPB in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied in December 2012. Was referred to selecting official in January 2013. Had my first interview in March. Had two subsequent interviews.

I would describe the inteview process for my position as not overtly technical and unorganized. The person who interviewed me for the third time had no idea I had interview twice before.

The staff that interviewed me were very nice and knowledgeable about their positions and departments. They immediately made me feel welcomed.

The interview process could be streamlined. It seems burdensome and does not do a good job of extracting the information necessary to choose the best person. I was chosen and accepted the position, but given the type of position, I was expecting better questioning.

Interview Question – How would you interact with a SME?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate the CN level or salary. It was 13K more that was I was making with my previous employer.

Communications Director Interview

Communications Director
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at CFPB in October 2009.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by two gentlemen but it was never made clear which one I would be reporting to, and therefore which one I should speak with and pose questions to more directly. The seating arrangement was quite odd, with one man behind his desk and the other seated at a round table with me in front of the desk, so that one of them would always be seeing the back of my head as I had to keep swinging my head 180 degrees to make eye contact with them both.There were four chairs and plenty of room at the table, so the seating configuration was extremely unnatural and discomfiting.

Interview Question – The very first question was "how would you set up the comms office", without any preliminary discussion of operational goals, priorities or budget. A question like this is usually preceded by some information as to the mandate, responsibilities and expectations, so, essentially the interview began with a sink-or-swim question.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CFPB in November 2011.

Interview Details – I had a nice interaction with the two directors at CFPB. CFPB is a relatively new agency established by the current President to oversee the consumer market. There were 2 1:1 interviews, one fit and one case. The case was not very hard, but candidates must be organized to solve the case. Candidates must really be interested to work for a government agency and really know what CFPB does in order to be moved forward in the recruitment process.

Interview Questions

Examiner Interview

Examiner
Washington, DC

The process took 2 days - interviewed at CFPB in July 2011.

Interview Details – There was an over the phone interview with 4 people. The interview lasted one hour and was primarily based off my resume. I asked a lot of questions and they were very honest about the organization being unstructured. One thing that they did promise is that everything would be top-notch from training to benefits. Once I completed the over the phone interview, I was invited out to DC for a face to face interview opportuntiy. I had to pay for it myself. The face to face interview was the exact same as the over the phone interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   View Answer

Worked for CFPB? Contribute to the Community!