CFY

CFY Interview Questions

3.4

Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at CFY.

Interview process was long. Ended up meeting with 3 or 4 different staff members. Made things a little confusing.

Interview Questions
    • Would you have a problem approaching the CEO? How would you do so?   Answer Question
    Basically no negotiation. Very rushed.

Family Trainer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CFY.

Had a phone interview screening before scheduling an onsite interview. The phone interview was pretty generic and last for about 20 minutes or so. Then days later I was contacted to go in for an in-person interview plus an PowerPoint presentation on my knowledge of Microsoft Words.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at CFY.

Phone screen with HR, which was very standard "why are you interested?" and behavioral-based questions. About 2 weeks later I went into the office and met with the Director of HR, my eventual manager, and the executive who I would be reporting to. Overall nothing too bad, very uptight but straightforward interview. Mainly asked about my prior experience, why I was interested in them, and standard behavioral-based interview questions. They also asked me to do a skills assessment, where I drafted a sample email, did purchasing research and tried to complete a sample scheduling task (which was actually a trick question and unable to be solved.) The following day I had a call with HR who made a verbal offer and all follow-up was via email. The entire process took about a month and HR was very communicative via email.

Interview Questions
    Made a counter-offer for salary which was refused, but I was able to get an additional week of vacation.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CFY in May 2012.

I was contacted by email and offered several times to schedule a phone interview. A coordinator (who openly admitted this was her first experience with recruitment) called me. Her questions were very scripted and she seemed somewhat uncomfortable. She spent the first five minutes describing the job to me, and then twenty minutes asking me to go over my various positions in detail, with an emphasis on why I left each position. At the end of the conversation, she asked me what I currently make and what my salary expectations were. Frankly, I think this is what took me out of the running. I don't understand why the company just doesn't post the salary range with the job posting so that people can self select about whether or not it's a good match rather than wasting my time. It was annoying to have someone who I would potentially be supervising be conducting the screening interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Other than walking through my resume, the only question that required any sort of creativity was to describe techniques I've employed to successfully manage a classroom. This is kind of a trick question, since the job doesn't allow for any relationship building with kids - which is usually important for management.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CFY in August 2010.

You will have a phone interview, in person interview, and then group interview.

Interview Questions
    • They will do an exhaustive amount of role-plays. Be prepared and use LAST strategies (Listen, Apologize, Solve, and Thank)   Answer Question

Community Relations Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CFY in November 2011.

For an organization which maintains that one of the main components of their workplace mantra is to "have fun", the interview experience and my interactions with executive level staff were the extreme opposite...not that an interview experience needs to be "fun" but it is a two-way street upon which inquiry, respectful attention and some degree of genuine hospitality could perhaps be utilized - just in case a potential employee wants to feel some modicum of encouragement about becoming a part of your organization. During my interview, I could not believe how austere, formal and high-handed these people seemed and this became my undoing as a typically stressful interview experience became an exercise in trying not to completely drown.

In all fairness, I did not have this overwhelming feeling of dread until my 3rd interview (prior to that, I participated in a phone interview, and a 1:1 interview) and then finally this 3-person panel interview. It was more like a 1 1/2 hour stress test from executives who seemed overworked, stringent and more interested in their smartphones than in my presence. Suffice it to say, I have never experienced anything of this sort (for a management position within the nonprofit arena) and I was a little thrown off and I'm sure it showed in my performance. While, I can honestly admit that my own shortcomings perhaps contributed slightly to the type of final interview experience I had; it should be noted that the prior employee who held the position I was applying for, only held it for 1 year.

When all was said & done, my time was up and I was perfunctorily escorted out of the office trying to hold my head up. No surprise when I received an email stating they were no longer interested a week later. I often try to look at both sides of an equation here and I know I made my share of slight mistakes due to nervousness and a lack of adequate preparation. However, most people operate from some degree of understanding, support and kindness when they see someone in a challenging situation. This obviously was not the time nor the place for any of that and it made an already somewhat nerve wracking situation all the more tense. Really, no one needed to rescue me, however; something other than levity and hostility would have been appreciated. It’s an interview for heaven’s sake, not an interrogation!

To sum up how inappropriate I felt this final interview was; I really considered just getting up and walking out at one point - but I simply had too much to pack up. I did come to the realization during the role playing that this environment much less working under their leadership team would not have been a good fit for me. But who knows, maybe all this information will help another person nail what I was unable to. Good Luck to you and beyond that; if you do get hired; I sure hope you get to have some fun!

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an individual who does not wish to participate in the way they signed up for?   Answer Question
    • Is there a time when you were placed in a position where you had to speak out about a co-worker? And when you did, what did you want to happen?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CFY in August 2011.

First CFY will call you and you get a phone interview
    If you pass the phone interview (they give you a job description and the hours you must work, if both are to your liking, you will get your second in person group interview)
    - At the group interview you will first take a test on your knowledge of computers and internet ex. what does left and right click do, where is the search engine etc.
    They take you in a separate room to ask questions such as. Give an example where you had to speak to a parent about their child's behavior?

They do a role play where you act as a CSR in a class room.

Interview Questions
    • Are you able to travel through out NYC?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a parent worked out of the workshop for more than 10 minutes?   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CFY in August 2010.

The initial communication came through email. From there I was given a phone interview. Moving forward was the 2:1 interview (30 minutes), a skills assessment (30 minutes) and presentation of about 10 minutes. After that I was invited back for a final round interview. I was offered the job at the final round. I was given a day to think it over and provided an answer to the inquiry of acceptance. I really liked the vibe I received from my interviewers, they seemed really fresh and excited about the organization as well as excited about having me be a part of the process.

I didn't.