CGG

Getting the Interview

72 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at CGG.

Interview Details – I contacted CGG HR people in my university's career fair and applied to this position in September. I was contacted in January for a phone interview (took around 20 min) and 3 weeks after the phone interview I was invited for an onsite interview(took around 2.5 hours). I thought I had a nice interview but the result was negative. I was informed about the interview result within a week.

Interview Question – Phone interview questions:

1) When can you start to work for us?

2) Are there four consecutive integers such that the sum of the cubes of the least three of them is equal to the cube of the greatest of them?

3) You are given 10 empty boxes. You distribute 5 black balls to these empty boxes so that no two black balls can go into the same box. Now you have 4 white balls and you distribute them in the same fashion but this time a white ball can go into a box where you put a black ball. That is, in the end, you might have at least 5 full boxes or at most 9 full boxes. What is the probability of choosing an empty box?

4) You are given a circle and equilateral triangle whose vertices are on the circle. Consider the area of the triangle and the total area of the piecewise region that lies outside the triangle and inside the circle. Which area is greater?

Onsite interview questions:
I) Background questions by the technical interviewers such as: Why do you want to work for CGG? Why do you want this position? Why did you study this? Explain your thesis topic. When can you start working for us? When can you graduate? What are your chances for graduation? If you cannot graduate, what is the next time for your graduation? Who in CGG did you contact before? What programming languages do you know? etc..
HR interviewer questions: What is your strength? Weakness? Achievements? Challenges? etc..when can you start to work for us? Explanation of benefits in case of employment...

II) Technical questions:
A) There is a cannon whose base is fixed at the ground and firing end(the part of the cannon where the cannon ball leaves the cannon) is vertically 10 m away from the ground, The vertical angle that the cannon makes with the ground is 30 degrees. Suppose that the cannon is fired and the cannon ball leaves the firing end with a speed of 100m/s. Where does it land?

B) Consider the equation x-x^3=6. What is(are) solution(s) of this equation?

C) A weird question: I think the interviewer did a bad job in explaining this question. I tried to remember what this question was following his explanation to me and explained below. I think my explanation is far better.

Suppose that you want to build a wall with bricks. The store that sells bricks sells them in packs of 3, 6 or 20 bricks. Suppose that you have infinite amount of money and the store has infinite amount of bricks of each of these packs.
You want to build the wall so that when you are finished, you want an excess of 1 or 2 bricks (he didn't tell me this 2 bricks assumption at first and added this information after 10 or 15 min I started to work on the question).
For instance, a wall of 4 bricks is a preferable one, since you can buy a pack of 6 bricks and has an excess of 2 bricks. Similarly, a wall with 5 bricks is also preferable.
However, you also want the amount of bricks in your wall not to be a combination of 3, 6 or 20 bricks. For instance, although you can build a wall of 40 bricks and have an excess of 1 brick by buying 7 packs of 3 bricks and 1 pack of 20 bricks, the amount 40 bricks in your wall can be obtained by 2 packs of 20 bricks.
With this given information you want to build a wall which has the maximum number of bricks. What is this maximum number?

D) You are given 1000 dollars in 1 dollar bills and you are given 10 envelopes. You distribute these 1 dollar bills to these 10 envelopes in a way so that whenever you are wanted an amount between 1 and 1000, you should make a combination of these envelopes and get the same amount. How do you distribute these 1 dollar bills to these 10 envelopes?
  Answer Question

Interviewed at CGG

Interview Details – 1. When will you start to work?
2. Math questions: 4 consecutive numbers, the sum of the cubic of the first three numbers equals to the fourth one. What are these numbers?

Interview Question – probability question   Answer Question

Junior Seismic Imager Interview

Junior Seismic Imager
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at CGG in October 2010.

Interview Details – They ask a few basic behavioral questions, but then it's mostly tricky logic and math questions. An example would be, "how many squares can you make in a chess board, following the lines on the board?" They're trying to see how you think and evaluate how'll you do in geophysics.

Interview Question – Again, there are lots of logic questions. Expect some statistics questions and other math questions. Another example would be, "If you have 100 perfectly square cubes, how big of a shell (I.E. cubes makeup the outside but the inside is hollow) can you make?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate significantly.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CGG in August 2013.

Interview Details – Apply online, got email to schedule phone interview in three weeks.

Interview Questions

Seismic Imager

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at CGG in December 2013.

Interview Details – phone interview half hours three around of the interviews: the first two rounds were phone interviews. the hr emailed first to schedule the time for the first around of interview, which included 4 to 5 simple math questions. very simple questions indeed, you don't even need to prepare beforehand. If you pass that, hr will email you to schedule a 1-1 onsite interview, which involve brain teaser problems.

Interview Question – three math problems   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at CGG in November 2013.

Interview Details – HR called, then scheduled an interview with a few SDE.

Interview Question – Write a function that computes prime number and some multithreading questions.   Answer Question

Seismic Imager

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at CGG.

Interview Details – There was a phone interview and an onsite interview.
For the phone interview, they asked brain teaser questions like what probability choosing 5 red balls from an urn of reds and blues.
A few days later, I received an on-site interview email.
I talked with the hiring manager for the on-site interview, spent about more than 1 hr. He asked technical questions like DSP questions and he asked some brain teasers as well.

Interview Question – Whoever counts to 100 first will be the winner. You start first with a number of either 1 or 2, and then the other adds either 1 or 2 to your number and so on. Design a game so that you can always win.   View Answers (3)

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at CGG in June 2013.

Interview Details – 1. Phone interview. Math, problem-solving type questions: geometry, statistics and brain teasers. Lasted about half hour, nothing too difficult, but you might wanna refresh yourself with some high school/college level math and statistics.

2. On-site interview with the manager. Firstly went through a few behavior questions. Then there were three to four math/brain teasers. Make sure to explain your thoughts loud and clear. Also asked to explain my resume in detail.

Interview Question – I hadn't seen one of the math question and took some time to sole it.   Answer Question

Seismic Imager

I applied online - interviewed at CGG in July 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted CV online then had to immediately fill out another application asking for same information. Waste of time and gave impression that they didn't read the original CV and interview most people who submit something.

Interview Question – 2 questions, 30 minute telephone interview.

1- determine how many integers from 1-10,000 include the number 7.

2- you have a balance scale and 10 coins, 9 of which are the same weight and the other is different. determine in the fewest amount of measurements which coin is different and if it weighs more or less than the other 9 coins.
  View Answer

Seismic Imager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at CGG in March 2013.

Interview Details – Two-round phone interviews:

1. 1st with math, problem-solving type questions: geometry, statistics and brain teasers. Lasted about half hour, nothing too difficult, but you might wanna refresh yourself with some high school/college level math and statistics.

2. Two weeks later for the 2nd round with the manager. Firstly went through the resume and explained what I did with my thesis project. Then there were two to three math/brain teasers. Slightly more difficult than the first round, but still regular questions. Make sure to explain your thoughts loud and clear.

Both interviewers were nice and super patient, so just breathe and think hard on the questions.

Negotiation Details – I heard you are not really supposed to negotiate, and I did not. But you can always try.

Interviews for Top Jobs at CGG

Worked for CGG? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CGG interview questions and advice. All 72 interview reviews posted anonymously by CGG employees and interview candidates.