CGG Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.9

Seismic Imager Interview

It was a 30 minutes phone interview. The hiring manager called me and asked me some mathematical questions by phone. The signal was not good. It seems they use some private software to make the phone call. So you can't see the incoming number and the signal is very bad. He only asked me 2 questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at CGG.

Sort of internal referral, referred by a friend who got an offer from the position. Scheduled interview pretty quick. Just finished first round phone/remote web interview. Still in the interview process. Will be connected with an hr, and the interview starts with a self-introduction of both sides, mine's background, and the interviewer telling me about their company, and followed by technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • Interview conducted by a geophysics background engineer. Considering I'm not a software engineer background student. Questions include:
      1. given 2 cups, one cup of volume 5 liter(cup1), another of volume 3 liter(cup2), no other containers allowed, with unlimited water, how to get 4 liter water in cup1?

2. the memory taken in an integer in c/c++? how many bytes?

3. given a signed int, find how many 1s in the binary representation, return the count? (in C++)

4. statistical/probabilistic question, one year 365 days, what's the probability of N people having the same birthday?

View Answer

Seimic Imager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CGG.

(1) When can you start to work?
    (2) Permutation of abcde: what is the probability to have a and b are adjacent to each other. (My answer was 40%)
    (3) What is the shortest distance between a parabola y = x^2 + 1 and the line y = x. (My answer was 3/4/sqrt(2));
    (4) A person walks on a escalator up with speed 1 step per second. It takes 50 steps to go to the second floor. If he walks down with speed 5 steps per second. It takes 125 steps to go to the 1st floow. What if the the escalator stays still, how many steps does the person have to take to get to the 2nd floor. (My answer was 100.)

Seismic Imager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at CGG in October 2014.

They sent me the Email for the phone interview 2 weeks after the internal referral. During the phone interview, he asked me when I can start to work firstly. Then, I was asked to prepare a pen and paper for the mathematical questions.
    First question, you are in a company with 100 employees. 25 of the employees are invited to the banqet every quarter of a year. What is your chance of attending at least once for a whole year?
    Second, there are three boxes with two black balls, one black and one white balls, and two white balls inside each one. Meanwhile, they are labelled as BB, BW and WW respectively outside. Here, B represents black ball while W represents white ball. Therefore, we can know what balls are inside without opening the boxes. Your naughty friend messes up the labels outside without opening boxes. Now, you know that the label must be wrong for every box and you can pick up one ball out of one box each time but you have to put the ball back before the next time, that is to say, you lose the track of the ball each time after putting it back. How many times do you need in order to make the all labels back to the right boxes at least?
    After the two mathematical questions, he said HR will send me the followups.

Web Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

interviewed at CGG in September 2014.

First 30 minuets introduce of hr. Then finish a questionnaire in a video talk. The questionnaire contains some questions about IQ test, math test, sql questions and some questions about PHP, and coding question. The questionnaire is given in doc, which is not very good for programming.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

interviewed at CGG in September 2014.

two phone interviews. The first one is a 20-min brain teasers. The second one is more technical. It depends your background. If you have geophysics background, it will be more on the basic concepts of seismology and digital data processing. If you have other STEM background, it will be more basic and some more brain teasers.

Seismic Imaging Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CGG.

Got an onsite interview. The interviewer and the HR lady were nice and polite. First they went over what they did on the company, then I told them about myself and my current work. Then we moved on to the questions, two which were simple and one probability question which I did not give much thought until later. Up until today I regret not thinking completely through the question.

Interview Questions
    • Not really difficult but at the time I was asked I looked like the biggest idiot: There are N boxes and N keys. Each key opens exactly one box. Suppose we lock each key inside a random box. We pick a box at random and break it in order to get the key. What is the probability that with that key we will be able to open the rest of the boxes without having to break any of the remaining ones?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Normal interview process. First interview included brain teaser and some coding. Not too hard, but they were quite basic concepts. The coding was in C. They first talked about the company then threw 4 questions. Waiting for the second turn.

Seismic Imaging Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at CGG in June 2014.

Two rounds of telephone interviews, being asked of many math questions, especially statistics and probability. The second round of telephone interview consists of several behavioral questions such as why you choose this job, what's the significance of your research, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What's you motivation of applying for this job as a materials science major   Answer Question

Ecs Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CGG.

It was pretty easy. I have to submit 50 words. The job was pretty easy and I knew all of what they needed. I knew that it would be complacent and I thought I would learn more of what I did not already know.

Non negotiation