CGG Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

2.9

Web Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CGG in July 2015.

Interview

I applied for this position online, then I was contacted by HR after one month. I filled in a form mainly about background information check, and was asked for two referrals. The interview is phone screen which lasted 50mins. It is mainly about a questionnaire. You need to answer all the problems including coding questions in a document and then save and submit it.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CGG.

Interview

HR gave me some basic routines first like everyone else; then wait a while and the interviewer came. The HR is very nice to be honest. It took me so long (about at least half year later) to write the review here because I really don't like the interview process with that interviewer. I don't know how to say, for all the brain-teaser and programming questions, I only made a small mistake about the binary search (which is a typo writing mid to high, you know what I am saying right?). I couldn't make a second cut. I am writing this because I got all the other three bigger companies offers with much harder and real-CS interview and programming questions.

Interview Questions

• Please read through all the list, you could find all the interview questions you want.   Answer Question

Seismic Imager Interview

Interview

It was a 30 minutes phone interview. The hiring manager called me and asked me some mathematical questions by phone. The signal was not good. It seems they use some private software to make the phone call. So you can't see the incoming number and the signal is very bad. He only asked me 2 questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richardson, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CGG (Richardson, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

There is a vacancy of software engineer in Richardson. First round is phone interview, asking basic questions like when can you start to work and questions about resume. Second round is on-site, I was required to give 25 presentation and they asked questions during the presentation. After presentation, they ask questions about codes, programming questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference of float and double?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at CGG.

Interview

Sort of internal referral, referred by a friend who got an offer from the position. Scheduled interview pretty quick. Just finished first round phone/remote web interview. Still in the interview process. Will be connected with an hr, and the interview starts with a self-introduction of both sides, mine's background, and the interviewer telling me about their company, and followed by technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Interview conducted by a geophysics background engineer. Considering I'm not a software engineer background student. Questions include: 1. given 2 cups, one cup of volume 5 liter(cup1), another of volume 3 liter(cup2), no other containers allowed, with unlimited water, how to get 4 liter water in cup1? 2. the memory taken in an integer in c/c++? how many bytes? 3. given a signed int, find how many 1s in the binary representation, return the count? (in C++) 4. statistical/probabilistic question, one year 365 days, what's the probability of N people having the same birthday?   1 Answer

Seimic Imager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CGG.

Interview

(1) When can you start to work? (2) Permutation of abcde: what is the probability to have a and b are adjacent to each other. (My answer was 40%) (3) What is the shortest distance between a parabola y = x^2 + 1 and the line y = x. (My answer was 3/4/sqrt(2)); (4) A person walks on a escalator up with speed 1 step per second. It takes 50 steps to go to the second floor. If he walks down with speed 5 steps per second. It takes 125 steps to go to the 1st floow. What if the the escalator stays still, how many steps does the person have to take to get to the 2nd floor. (My answer was 100.)

Interview Questions

• It's fine. I was not very prepared.   2 Answers

Seismic Imager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CGG in October 2014.

Interview

They sent me the Email for the phone interview 2 weeks after the internal referral. During the phone interview, he asked me when I can start to work firstly. Then, I was asked to prepare a pen and paper for the mathematical questions. First question, you are in a company with 100 employees. 25 of the employees are invited to the banqet every quarter of a year. What is your chance of attending at least once for a whole year? Second, there are three boxes with two black balls, one black and one white balls, and two white balls inside each one. Meanwhile, they are labelled as BB, BW and WW respectively outside. Here, B represents black ball while W represents white ball. Therefore, we can know what balls are inside without opening the boxes. Your naughty friend messes up the labels outside without opening boxes. Now, you know that the label must be wrong for every box and you can pick up one ball out of one box each time but you have to put the ball back before the next time, that is to say, you lose the track of the ball each time after putting it back. How many times do you need in order to make the all labels back to the right boxes at least? After the two mathematical questions, he said HR will send me the followups.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I interviewed at CGG (Denver, CO) in September 2014.

Interview

two phone interviews. The first one is a 20-min brain teasers. The second one is more technical. It depends your background. If you have geophysics background, it will be more on the basic concepts of seismology and digital data processing. If you have other STEM background, it will be more basic and some more brain teasers.

Web Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I interviewed at CGG (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

First 30 minuets introduce of hr. Then finish a questionnaire in a video talk. The questionnaire contains some questions about IQ test, math test, sql questions and some questions about PHP, and coding question. The questionnaire is given in doc, which is not very good for programming.

Seismic Imaging Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CGG (Houston, TX).

Interview

Got an onsite interview. The interviewer and the HR lady were nice and polite. First they went over what they did on the company, then I told them about myself and my current work. Then we moved on to the questions, two which were simple and one probability question which I did not give much thought until later. Up until today I regret not thinking completely through the question.

Interview Questions

• Not really difficult but at the time I was asked I looked like the biggest idiot: There are N boxes and N keys. Each key opens exactly one box. Suppose we lock each key inside a random box. We pick a box at random and break it in order to get the key. What is the probability that with that key we will be able to open the rest of the boxes without having to break any of the remaining ones?   1 Answer