CGI

2.7

43 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at CGI.

On campus interview, easy personality questions. Nice recruiter knew the answers to most of my questions. Second round interview was at the Fairfax office and was unorganized. 2 out of 4 of the people interviewing me were unavailable. The other 2 interviews went well. Learned a lot about how the company is run. One of the two unavailable interviewers sent a replacement. The poor replacement had never done an interview before and had nothing prepared. But it gave me an honest look at that working there would look like.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing complicated, easy technical questions nothing really to worry about. I defiantly over prepared.   Answer Question
    They seemed resistant to negotiating but ended up accepting my counter offer and let me pick my location.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CGI in March 2014.

The hiring process is pretty rigorous and I had to go through 4 levels of interviews. Each of the interview was conducted by employees from different positions and levels and it gave an impression to the interviewee what type of company one can expect.

The interviews were pretty informal and was more of a conversation format rather than typical interview questions that aren't really relevant to a position. The company culture and environment seemed very friendly and amenable to an employee.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected in the sense that the interviews were more conversational and it threw all the prep I had done out the window.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CGI.

Received a phone call about a position but when I received the email from HR is was totally different job. Interview process was easy.

Interview Questions

The crazies run the office

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CGI.

Applied online for position. Got call a 3 weeks later from someone asking to clarify what skills I put on my resume and if I have certain skills. I got a call a few weeks later to come in for an interview to meet with the technical leads of the project. It was a technical talk to get an understanding of what I knew and what I've done. I was asked to explain certain processes and concepts of software design and/or processes. Less than 2 hours after the interview, I received an offer on the phone. I had to submit a couple more forms to undergo the standard background checks and a college transcript to verify my education. Upon clearing background check (my choice), I agreed to show up for work.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question were to explain client/server architecture. It wasn't very specific and a topic that can involve a lot of detail   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at CGI.

Applied online. A recruiter called about a month later. She and I had a good chat for about an hour. She said that the hiring manager would definitely want to speak to me. A phone call was set up with the hiring manager which went very well. She told me on the phone that I'd definitely move on to the next process. I interviewed with her boss at CGI's Fairfax office which went very well. The hiring manager emailed letting know that CGI recently merged and she wants me to interview with the VP who will be heading the entire HR operation at CGI. She said that an interview will be arranged soon. This went on for 3 months. Every time I emailed the hiring manager, she said that I'm still in the running. Then, with no prior heads up, I received an automated email notification from Taleo saying that the position is closed. I called the hiring manager, and left a voicemail. I got a nice email from her about a month later saying that I was too qualified for the job, and she's concerned that I would not be challenged enough.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CGI in November 2013.

I started with a 30 minute interview on campus one on one just to get a sense of my skills and comforts. It mostly went over my resume and availability. There was no initial technical screening. Then there was a follow up on the phone briefly to invite me to me to an on campus interview. The on campus interview was done on a day with about 30 other candidates and I had three separate interviews with developers. They asked me questions about my experience and problem solving, but I never actually had to write any code in a technical interview sense

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions and there weren't very many were asking for programming concepts for specific languages like how inheritance works and object oriented design. There were no actual coding questions.   Answer Question
    No negotiation was optional. They were unwilling to meet other offers.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

interviewed at CGI in November 2013.

First round is one interviewer, all easy informal behavorial interview questions. Next round is 3 interviews at the main office in Fairfax, VA. These questions are also easy and straight forward. The interviewers are all really nice and helpful, usually senior level consultants.

Interview Questions
    • If you apply for a technical position you will get techinical questions. Business Analyst get behavioral questions that are pretty straight forward and not difficult. One difficult question was describe one time you had to share the leadership role. How did you manage that.   Answer Question

Project Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at CGI in May 2013.

my initial communications were with the person who referred me to the open position. the position started off being just a junior level administrative assistant. i was able to parlay that into a higher level administrative position - project administrator. this position was a blank palate; i was going to have the opportunity to create it from scratch**.

i did a good deal of research about project administration, and what that position would entail on a general level. then i did a lot of research about the company, their recent successes/acquisitions, their field, and how a project administrator would fit into their mix.

the office was immaculate and very organized. crisp in color scheme, very modern look. people were friendly, and i was pointed in the right direction every step of the way. it's' important to be a little early to interviews here, because the executives schedules change around during the day. being there, in case they are ready to interview immediately, is a bonus. they look favorably on those who are always ready.

the work culture - i knew that the company would be busy, because they are in high demand and a big competitor in the IT industry. they are a HEAVY hitter. in my research, i found that CGI had just acquired logica - a european IT firm, with over 35k employees - which doubled their employee base. the executives who hired me were very impressed with the fact that i knew that. DO YOUR RESEARCH before you interview here. know their competitors, and if you can, know their most recent activity, or most significant activity. be sure to ask questions when asked "do you have any questions". interview them! engage in conversation and be friendly but focused.

i interviewed on a wednesday morning - i had a series of back to back interviews. i learned that in the past, they would conduct their series of interviews on different days, and with different people; but they recognized that turns people off from finishing the process, and it dwindles their number of prospects down tremendously. however, the series of interviews within the same day, takes a LOT of preparation - especially when you don't know exactly "who" you're interviewing with. so i had to be prepared for just about any question.

i interviewed with a total of 7 people - 3 of which were at the director/VP level, and who i would be working with directly. the other 4 were executive assistants who i would be occasionally working with to complete projects. the first three interviews were conducted separately, by each of the directors/VPs. each interview was 45 minutes long. the final interview was with the 4 executive assistants - and it was more a debriefing than a real interview. they wanted to know if i had specific questions about the position.

the entire process took about 4 hours. it was a long day. but i found out a few hours later that all 3 directors/VPs wrote long reviews about me, and wanted to hire me on the spot, but needed to confer with each other first. i was called the next morning and offered the position.

**there are other PAs in the company (i found out later), who work on one specific project at a time, on one client site.

Interview Questions
    • why would you be a good fit in this role, and where would you like to take it?   View Answer
    i didn't negotiate very well. i asked if the position would offer about $3k more than what was discussed, and i was told no. so i accepted the offer, and i still regret it. whatever you're offered here, if it's less than your minimum, be frank, and let them know that you're not able to accept their offer if the salary is less than your minimum. this is a huge company with a ton of financial resources - don't be afraid to stand your ground. i'm still struggling now, even after over a year of employment and providing them with experienced proof that i'm more than qualified to do what i do (and i've surprised them with my knowledge of certain processes), i have only gotten a scheduled raise of $2k (which is still $1k less than my minimum salary requirement - a slap in the face), and i do way more than what is listed on my requirements profile.

know your worth!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CGI.

The process was straight forward. The initial interview was by phone. The second interview was in Fairfax and it tok approximately 3 hours. During that time I met with 3 key managers and spoke with them regarding the company and what my task would be within the company.

Interview Questions
    • N/A the conversation was pretty straight forward and flowed very smoothly.   View Answer
    I was fairly short due to the reason it was my first job out of college.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CGI in April 2013.

I got the first interview through my university's career center. The person I interviewed with was very nice and the interview seemed more like a conversation, which made things a lot less stressful. A few days later I got an email inviting me to an onsite interview.

During the onsite interview you go through a mini tour, debriefing, and two behavioral interviews. They also provide lunch and a panel of new hires to answer any questions applicants may have about the company. This part is "off the record" so your participation is not evaluated in the decision process. It is solely for the benefit of the applicant.

The interviews themselves were similar to the first interview, where the interviewer was very relaxed and conducted the interview as more of a conversation. They usually get back to you with a decision within two weeks.

Overall, interviewing with CGI Federal will probably be the most pleasant experience you will ever have!

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not difficult to answer at all. The questions are designed so that your interviewer can better understand you and your personal brand.   Answer Question