CGI Group

Relevance Date Difficulty

Applications Developer Interview

Applications Developer
Lebanon, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CGI Group.

Interview Details – The recruited through campus recruiting. First had a screening interview on campus and was invited for on site interviews thereafter. The dinner the night before my actual on site interviews served as a confidence booster for my actual interviews. The employees I met were very help in explaining the interview process.

I had 3 interviews, 1 technical, 1 behavioral and I'm not sure what to call the last one but I only had one question that was kind of like a puzzle. The technical interview was not that difficult. It was a short 5 questions on OOP/Java/SQL and then a white board question where I was asked to implement a function that computes the factorial of a number.

You get a tour of their offices. Form my perception of the people, I'll say they have a very good work/life balance and most of the employees seem very happy to be working there.

I got an offer two weeks later.

Interview Question – Implement a function that compute factorial of a number. -- This is not difficult but I'm required to fill this out so   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Salary is below industry average but this is expected given the location of their campuses.

Technical Analyst Interview

Technical Analyst
Lebanon, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at CGI Group in August 2013.

Interview Details – I had first talked to a HR rep at my school and then I applied online. I was contacted by a HR rep from the Lebanon, VA office to set up a phone interview with them. The phone interview took about 30 minutes and was just a basic HR interview to see my background and what I have done in school. Then I was contacted again through email to come up to VA for an interview. Interview was an all day process, where you did a panel discussion with current employers and the HR gave a presentation about the company. Then there were three 30 minute interviews, a technical, general HR portion, and an analysis portion. They are always asking for you to ask them questions. They want to see how interested you are in there company.

Interview Question – Nothing to hard. General HR questions. Asked to a simple method using an array list. Then general oop questions.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Lebanon, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CGI Group in December 2012.

Interview Details – The process was very straight forward. I met them at the career fair at my school and handed them my resume. I received an e-mail from the HR that they would like to interview with on campus. The interview date was set a day or two after the career fair. It was very easy. Then they invited to come for an on-site interview. Once I was made it for the interview.
It was again very very easy. BE AWARE: if you expect to make a market level salary, then look elsewhere.

Interview Question – There are not any hard questions. I was asked to explain what polymorphous is. And what is the difference between XML and HTML.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Lebanon, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at CGI Group in July 2009.

Interview Details – The day consisted of three 30 minute one on one interviews with several people. One asked technical questions, one talked with me about what kind of alcohol he likes to drink and one just talked to me about his fiance.

Interviewers are chosen based on who they can get to do it and they won't necessarily be on the team you will be working on or doing anything like what you are applying to do. One of my interviewers hadn't even been with the company for a full year.

(The interview was in 2008, but glassdoor didn't give me that option.)

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. Surprisingly simple, actually.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, but I wish I had. I was just ecstatic at getting an offer. I later learned that they will negotiate, so make sure you do. (Both salary and vacation time are negotiable)

Consultant Internship Interview

Consultant Internship
Lebanon, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CGI Group in March 2013.

Interview Details – Consisted of 3 30-minute interviews, as well as a presentation discussing CGI as a company. The interviews asked me about Object-Oriented programming, coding experience, and theoretical scenarios and how you would deal with them. Some questions are verbal, while others ask you to write code on the fly on a white-board. They were pretty straight-forward. They may also ask you a brain teaser or two near the end. They will also ask you questions related to what you put on your resume, so make sure you're confident with what's on your resume.

There were about 8-12 people there interviewing for the same position, so it seemed very competitive.

Interview Question – A worker is to perform work for you for seven straight days. In return for his work, you will pay him 1/7th of a bar of gold per day. The worker requires a daily payment of 1/7th of the bar of gold. If you were only able to make 2 cuts to the gold bar, describe how this will allow you to pay him 1/7th each day?   View Answers (2)

Very Easy Interview

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Lebanon, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CGI Group in October 2012.

Interview Details – A recruiter setup an interview from campus then the second round was in Lebanon. There is a group dinner at a local restaurant in Abingdon. You go through 3 behavioral interviews where you are asked a couple brain teasers that provide no true psychological value. The interview process is flawed and does not focus on identifying talent. There is a lunch and a presentation about benefits. Based on interaction in the interview the employees are miserable and underpaid.

Interview Question – Three students checked into a hotel and paid the clerk $30 for a room ($10 each). When the hotel manager returned, he noticed that the clerk had incorrectly charged $30 instead of $25 for the room. The manager told the clerk to return $5 to the students. The clerk, knowing that the students would not be able to divide $5 evenly, decided to keep $2 and to give them only $3.

The students were very happy because they paid only $27 for the room ($9 each). However, if they paid $27 and the clerk kept $2, that adds up to $29. What happened to the other Dollar?
  View Answers (2)

Technical Consultant Interview

Technical Consultant
Lebanon, VA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CGI Group in March 2010.

Interview Details – The entire process began with a phone call and a quick technical interview(by the HR person to see if you meet the basic of requirements). After that I received and e-mail asking if I'd be able to come in for an in person interview. They provided me with a hotel and since I was close enough to drive they also offered to reimburse me for gas. Once I got there I found out that I was part of a group of around 30 individuals(which I wasn't aware of). They fed us a very nice dinner the night before, then the next morning we checked out of our hotels and drove in to the office for what was basically an entire day of interviews and presentations about the company. There were 3 interviews going over their core fundamentals(technical, functional and leadership skills) and after the day was over we were thanked for our time and sent on our merry way. It took about 3-4 weeks before I actually heard anything back from them but they offered a position so I was ecstatic.

Interview Question – What is Function Overloading?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Once I got the call, the HR lady explained that they wanted to make me an offer and then said how much my annual salary would be. Being that I had already been out of college for about 4 months and loathed my minimum wage job I quickly accepted. If you are in a similar situation as me, that being a college student being force to move back in with your parents to work a minimum wage job then you'll probably want to just accept the offer as well, because they have dozens of non-offered applicants that can fill your void if you were to try and fight for bigger pay or more vacation. Though I would suggest trying to get as much as you can for moving expenses, I under negotiated that bit and had to take out a personal loan just to have the cash to move.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Lebanon, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CGI Group in September 2011.

Interview Details – Spoke with 3 different people, each from a different team. The three managers decided if i was good for their team or not. Asked me about my background, and tech experience. Also touched on Accounting terms and an understanding of accounting. Was not very professional, and seemed unorganized.

Interview Question – Can you read and understand JAVA code and script?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiate the offer, include family situation and future plans, CGI Federal is willing to negotiate the salary.

Testing/Documentation Interview

Testing/Documentation
Lebanon, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at CGI Group in March 2010.

Interview Details – CGI sent a recruiter to my college campus where I attended a job fair and happened to hand the recruiter my resume. They scheduled an on-campus interview which I attended and then emailed me a week later to request an on-site interview in Lebanon, VA. There were 15-20 other students there for a few open positions and the interview consisted of one panel interview and 3 1:1 interviews which lasted almost an entire work day. They called about a week later to offer me the job.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The salary was non-negotiable but I would recommend trying for a bit more vacation time.

Junior IT Consultant Interview

Junior IT Consultant
Lebanon, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CGI Group in November 2011.

Interview Details – They had a group presentation with a basic overview of the company. This followed with a Q & A with three younger employees who all had good things to say about the company. The flexible hours seem to be pretty hyped up. Hotel/Travel is paid for. Interview process consist of three separate interviews: a leadership, technical, and analytical. I was pretty impressed with everything in general other than the geographic location of the office. Other than that this seems like it would be a great company to start of at for an IT Consultant.

Interview Question – Describe how you would settle a dispute between two employees you supervised.   Answer Question

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!