CGI Group Interview Questions in New York City, NY

2.6

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at CGI Group in March 2008.

Phone interview with HR and Controller. Face to face meeting with the Controller and another Financial Analyst

Brief

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at CGI Group in December 2010.

I applied for CGI back in October 2009, I finally got my first phone interview on December, the recruiter told me I will be getting a call from the manager to schedule a 1-1 interview in Dec. I interviewed with two people, after I was told that everything went well but they would like to interview more candidates. 2 weeks ago I got a call from the recruiter to schedule another interview with the manager again cause they wanted me to meet with more people who wanted to interview me. So i went on the interview Dec, 10th 2011, and they told me i should be hearing back from the recruiter that week cause they were making the final decisions that day. Well now its been a week and I have not heard from anyone at CGI. Why is that? Im a bit concerned because I would like to know if I got the job or not?

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 10 months - interviewed at CGI Group in May 2010.

Wierd people.
    Every interviewer I met with had positive reviews and feedback about my capabilities But nobody owns the decision making.
    Plans changed so often that I had to interview with 5 people ( 3 VPs and 2 Sr VPs) and it sounded like all of them had their own ideas of what they wanted me to do.
    Serious test of my ability to pursue this... But I wanted to chase this to really see how long it will take to get to a decision...

Interview Questions
    • How would you convert a problem situation to convert it into an opportunity?
      How do you leverage relationships to build business?
        Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CGI Group in October 2007.

I was initially contacted by a CGI recruiter specializing in college hires in the north east following my initial online application and employee referral. He was extremely personable and helpful throughout the process which consisted of mainly phone interviews with various project managers. As a consultant with CGI you will go through this process throughout your career as you transition from project to project, each time working with an HR workforce manager to schedule interviews and circulate your resume to desirable projects. As such the process can vary greatly depending on the type of work and the type of manager you are interviewing with.

For entry level functional positions CGI does not tend to focus on the educational background of the candidate, as there are many liberal arts students to be found in the trenches. My experience has been that demonstrating the ability to think on your feet, analyze and understand information and handle yourself in a professional manner are the only real constants across the board. For functional interviewees the best advice I can give will be very similar to the advice most people would give for interviews. The recruiters at CGI tend to be extremely kind and interested in placing you in a position that you will be the best fit, so your first project interview will most likely not be your last. Therefore, be enthusiastic even if the work sounds like the worst thing imaginable; you are not locked into taking it and the more offers you receive the more valuable you become to the company which will help in salary negotiation. Other key things to look into if you are completely new to IT or consulting in general would the Project Life Cycle, the basics of PMI project management (Scope, Schedule etc.), and make a point of knowing a little about the company in general. Go to the website and look at the position descriptions and use some of the buzz words. Remember that most of the project managers you will be interviewing with are not going to be professional interviewers; this is not a tier 1 hardcore consulting firm.

Seem genuinely excited to do everything they mention, talk about how you once had a group project or work related task that looked like it might miss a deadline and you spent 19 hours in the office finishing it up (even if you didn’t), talk about how you look forward to gaining experience across the project lifecycle so that you can develop the core business skills necessary to really understand the process and make a point of letting them know that you aren’t afraid of the less enjoyable work (even if you are). Something along the lines of "while I am looking forward to working with the client to gather business requirements and develop the As-is and To-be process models I am also looking forward to getting my hands into the application in the testing phase so I can really understand how the application will make a positive impact on the client's operations". Say these things, speak English at an average level, don't do anything stupid and you should be golden. If you have read the company reviews and disregarded the reviews at either end of the bell curve and you still want to work here then I'll see you on the other side and welcome to the team.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in IT Consulting for CGI?   View Answer
    • I have heard rumors of people being asked random math questions.
      ie. What is 18x35
        View Answer
    Salary Negotiation at CGI is EXTREMELY important. Annual raises do not tend to keep up with the market value of new hires, so if you fail to negotiate your starting salary towards the top of your salary band then the new hires in two years will out earn you. The salary surveys on glassdoor are very useful for most locations. If you are coming in as a new hire then look at the whole band, the lowest number is someone who didn’t negotiate and got low-balled, the highest will be people with a good amount of experience. The average will be mostly accurate. When talking to the recruiter, mention that you have offers from other companies (or your current salary is) a few thousand more than the average and that while the other companies (or current job) are great offers and the work is interesting you feel like CGI is the kind of place where you can really flourish, grow and make a career. Talk about how the fact that CGI considers all of its employees partners and is dedicated not only to the quality of the work, but the quality of life, makes you want to be part of the company (Read the company reviews). The recruiters know the bands which tend to be +/- 5k from what I've seen as the averages on Glassdoor, and they will most likely tell you the highest they have seen someone hired for this position, especially if you made a great impression by following my directions in the interview section. The project manager that you interview with will eventually make the final decision on your salary, so when they ask what you are looking for you can say that you had talked to the recruiter who mentioned X (the highest) salary. They will then say that it is a bit high, but in the range. If you followed my direction in the interview process, you will have already received several offers and picked the one you liked the best. When that project makes you an offer it will be low and it will come through the recruiter. Now comes the risk, you can either A.) Take the offer and be happy to have a job or B.) do what I did and tell them that while you don’t want to argue over something as trivial as pennies you would like them to see if they can make you a better offer. I make 10k more than a friend of mine who took the first offer and he had three more years experience. I also interviewed before the economy fell apart, so negotiate at your own risk. Be polite, humble and firm and you should be ok, but if you do not feel comfortable negotiating and the number does not differ much from the average for your geography then you might just want to take it. I also joined the company before they switched the vacation policy from 3 weeks to 2, so you can always ask for the 3 weeks or try to play around with the benefits. I hated the job I had before CGI enough that if they had called my bluff and rescinded the offer I would have begged for half of the original. Play at your own risk. If everything works out, maybe we’ll get staffed together – you can buy lunch.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CGI Group in August 2007.

The HR screening process was pretty standard. I was contacted by an HR person and had a phone interview with a group manager. I was asked to come in to their office for an interview. Then I had to come back for a second interview.

Not much room for negotiation.

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!