CGI Group

Getting the Interview

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fairfax, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CGI Group in March 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process is pretty rigorous and I had to go through 4 levels of interviews. Each of the interview was conducted by employees from different positions and levels and it gave an impression to the interviewee what type of company one can expect.

The interviews were pretty informal and was more of a conversation format rather than typical interview questions that aren't really relevant to a position. The company culture and environment seemed very friendly and amenable to an employee.

Interview Question – Unexpected in the sense that the interviews were more conversational and it threw all the prep I had done out the window.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at CGI Group.

Interview Details – I was originally hired over six years ago so this may be outdated. Had a phone interview with recruiter, then one on one in person interview with three individuals one of whom is the hiring manager.

I actually left the company and came back after a few months. Interview was managers from the teams I used to work with. It was a panel interview but ended up informal because I knew them.

Interview Question – I can't remember   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I actually rejected them at first when recruiter told me they probably won't pay what I asked for. I was going to stay with my current company at the time when they promised to bump my salary if I stayed. CGI then called back and offered me $2K more plus a $1K signing bonus.

Senior Consultant

I applied online and interviewed at CGI Group.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview with HR person and one face-to-face interview with hiring manager and technical lead. Questions were mostly related to my previous experience. Technical questions were not very difficult and were asked with intention to check whether I really know the stuff I wrote in my resume. Overall it was a good experience.

Interview Question – Describe major differences between Hibernate and MyBatis   Answer Question

Chattanooga, TN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CGI Group.

Interview Details – I was contacted through Linkedin by one of CGI's recruiters. We emailed back and forth and exchanged phone calls regarding questions that I had. Once all questions were answered, I decided to proceed with the process. I passed the phone screen with the manager for the project and went in for a face-to-face interview with the client. All went well and I received an offer. Everything was handled professionally and the total time it touch from initial contact to being hired was around a month.

Negotiation Details – I was given an initial offer, but replied it was too low. So my recruiter went back and gave them my minimum number. A day later my recruiter informed me that my minimum was authorized and signed off.

Very Easy Interview

Senior Consultant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at CGI Group in November 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted by email. Worked with recruiter to further define skill set/experience from resume found on job board. First phone interview was horrible; I followed up with the recruiter since I knew it was bad. The recruiter gave me feedback from the phone interview that I found funny and was shocked by the feedback. The recruiter was glad I followed up (do not give up) - the next phone interview for a different position was positive and I was scheduled the following week with a face-to-face interview. I was offered the job the next day at a higher pay than I had indicated and started 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – Phone interviews are tough - the first interview I was asked about the difference in agile and waterfall methodology. The interviewer was impatient and was difficult to connect with.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No need to negotiate. I received more money than asked for and the vacation time I indicated I wanted.

Washington, DC

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at CGI Group.

Interview Details – Several phone interviews.
1 face to face interview.
Final phone interviews.
Offer over the phone.

Interview Question – One interviewer canceled the interview twice.
Another interviewer had a heavy accent, I did not understand what he was saying.
Another interviewer was eager to establish his superiority rather than testing my skills.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – Before the interviews, the hiring manager agreed the salary I wanted. Two months later, the actual offer letter had a base salary 20% lower than I expected. I made the mistake by telling them that I was unemployed. Negotiated and was able to raise it 5%. So, my salary was 15% less than what we initially agreed.

Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at CGI Group.

Interview Details – I applied to CGI and then simply forgot about it.

3 months later, they called me for an interview. I had no idea what the compagny was and what the job they were offering was. And I still was able to get it.

They are not looking for bog talent, just people able to do the work.

Interview Question – They did not asked any difficult questions. Some basic Java questions, some questions about past experience, etc. Just like any easy regular interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They proposed me a salary, and I asked for a bit more (about 2%), which they have accepted. Took only a week.

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed at CGI Group in March 2009.

Interview Details – Recruiter found my resume from somewhere. Called me. I came in for 3 interviews. Got the job.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I felt like the compensation was low, but the project seemed interesting so i took the job.

Moncton, NB (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CGI Group in January 2011.

Interview Details – Was contacted on phone by a hiring manager first asking about my interest in the position and brief walk through my resume.

Then interview with two other members on phone (one immediate manager and other director)... Interview was more on what technology I was better at... previous experience... team work skills... ended with what my expectation where...etc

Third call... Salary negotiation and offer letter emailed

Interview Question – Tell me how youwork with your team and with a difficult member in your team?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at CGI Group.

Interview Details – Interviewing process was average. It was a panel of 3 people from the team that I would be working with - the manager and two teammates. I spoke about my work experience on my resume in greater detail. I was asked my biggest accomplishment. A brief description was provided about what the project was about. No technical questions. The people I interviewed with left the company the first day of my employment.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at CGI Group

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CGI Group Senior Consultant interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by CGI Group employees and interview candidates.