CIBC World Markets

Updated Aug 24, 2014

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate, Equity Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at CIBC World Markets.

I was contacted by head of HR/office administrator for equity research to come into the office for an interview the next morning with her. Interview was intense and uncomfortable and randomly conducted. Asked me to give her an introduction pitching myself to her. Asked many questions about my CV, asked behavioral questions such as why I thought I was a fit for the job, what makes me the best candidate better than the others in one sentence, Asked me if I invested in the markets. Asked me what stock I like and why.

Got emailed that night to come back to the office to interview with the Analyst. Interview was way less intense compared to the one with HR. He spoke about the role and what his goals are and what he expects from his team and associates. (basically 80 hour work weeks, 90-100 for two weeks during earnings, work every Saturday, doing all the things he doesn't like to do) He asked me to walk him through my CV explaining how it makes me a fit for the role in 3 minutes (which is impossible). Why was I interested in the sector? Where do I see myself in 3 years/5 years. (Tip, do not say as an analyst. You're basically saying you want his job) Then asked me to pitch him a stock. This time you need to be much more prepared than pitching to an HR person who does not know anything. He was interested on my valuation methods and assumptions and we had a discussion on how I priced in expected growth based on capex projects the company expected plus where I though the market was going and why.

Next stage is an Excel test and if I move on one last interview with an analyst from another sector and a couple of associates basically to give the analysts you will work for alternate opinions about you as a candidate.

Interview Questions
  • Most difficult is to pitch a stock, because you are pitching to a professional. I suggest choosing a name in the sector even though they will know the most about it because it shows interest and that you are not trying to dodge hard questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CIBC World Markets

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CIBC World Markets in February 2010.

The interview consisted of an HR, writing test, panel and 1:1 interviews. The whole process took one week, and I was presented with an offer by the end of the week. The interviewers were looking for fit, and to assess the candidate's abilities and interest in capital markets. I would recommend that you do your homework and know some of the "star" analysts that work at CIBC, to show that you are serious about this position.

Interview Questions
    Little room for negotiation. At this level, it's a standard contract.