CITGO

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Houston, TX

Interviewed at CITGO

Interview Details – I received a call to interview about a week after applying. The interview process was very different. It consisted of an HR representative, the hiring manager, and the hiring manager's supervisor. There are set questions decided by Citgo that the candidate must be asked, and the interviewers write down your responses as you are speaking, so there's no eye contact, which is a little unsettling because it's hard to determine if your responses are being received in the way that you had hoped. There were technical accounting questions asked in addition to behavioral questions.
I was called in for a second interview about two weeks later, and I basically got dressed and drove 20+ miles to clarify a response to one of my questions in the initial interview. I thought this was a waste of time and energy, as they could have asked me the question over the phone.
I guess it paid off, because I was offered the job about two weeks after the second interview. The only bummer was that I was offered less than the lowest number in the salary range I provided them with. When I counter-offered for at least the low end of my range, Citgo rescinded the offer. This was very disappointing because I feel like the whole ordeal was a waste of everyone's time. I was clear about what salary I expected from the beginning of the process, and I feel that Citgo probably shouldn't have continued with the process knowing that they did not want to offer me at least the lowest number in my salary range. Hopefully, most candidates don't have this experience, but I did want to share so that people will know to counteroffer with caution.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you disagreed with your supervisor and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered less than the lowest number in the salary range I provided them with at the beginning of the process. When I counter-offered for at least the low end of my range, Citgo rescinded the offer.

Worked for CITGO? Contribute to the Community!