CITGO Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.8

Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at CITGO.

The interview process was structured, but allowed plenty of flexibility to ask questions and understand the environment. The panel consisted of members across many departments which I found nice. I met with the director 1-on-1 which was a good experience as well.

I did not negotiate

Help Desk IT Operations Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at CITGO in August 2014.

Citgo HR called me about two to three weeks after I had applied for the job online and I was set up with an interview. The interview consisted of a group panel with the manager, supervisor, and two leads. They all asked behavioral questions "Tell me about a time when you...." which was 90% of the interview. The remaining 10% of the interview process consisted of me asking them questions about the job and them asking me about three technical questions total. The interview was an hour long as scheduled. They have awesome benefits and 401K. Citgo has a gym for employees, showers, cafe that serves breakfast and lunch, and a parking garage. The position is a 12 hour shift 6pm-6am Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The role is a combination of software support, network configuration, and network security. I was informed that I will receive a phone call for an offer or an email for no offer within two weeks. Interview was not as technical as I thought it would be. Very little technical aptitude questions. Very professional environment mostly everyone there was in business attire and some were dressed as business casual. No second round interviews for the position. Dow Chemicals is next to Citgo. ConocoPhillips, BP, Shell, and ExxonMobil are nearby in the same area.

Interview Questions
    • I was not expected to be asked salary expectations, however, I did research on the position's salary prior to the interview.   Answer Question

Senior Technical Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CITGO in September 2012.

There was a phone screen and then an in person interview. The in person was a 4 person panel interview. In my case there was only one person from my team on the interview, the hiring manager. It was a pretty standard interview. The questions are general questions and are not directly catered towards a particular field.

Interview Questions
    • Very generic questions, I work in IT and only one person on the panel understood the role I was applying for. The difficulty is in bringing non technical questions back to something technical to demonstrate competency.   Answer Question
    There was some negotiation.

Entry-Level Chemical Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CITGO.

I had a phone interview with an HR representative which later led to an onsite interview. Typical interview with behavioral based question.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the refrigeration cycle. (I heard that they stopped asking this one.)   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I received a call to interview about a week after applying. The interview process was very different. It consisted of an HR representative, the hiring manager, and the hiring manager's supervisor. There are set questions decided by Citgo that the candidate must be asked, and the interviewers write down your responses as you are speaking, so there's no eye contact, which is a little unsettling because it's hard to determine if your responses are being received in the way that you had hoped. There were technical accounting questions asked in addition to behavioral questions.
    I was called in for a second interview about two weeks later, and I basically got dressed and drove 20+ miles to clarify a response to one of my questions in the initial interview. I thought this was a waste of time and energy, as they could have asked me the question over the phone.
    I guess it paid off, because I was offered the job about two weeks after the second interview. The only bummer was that I was offered less than the lowest number in the salary range I provided them with. When I counter-offered for at least the low end of my range, Citgo rescinded the offer. This was very disappointing because I feel like the whole ordeal was a waste of everyone's time. I was clear about what salary I expected from the beginning of the process, and I feel that Citgo probably shouldn't have continued with the process knowing that they did not want to offer me at least the lowest number in my salary range. Hopefully, most candidates don't have this experience, but I did want to share so that people will know to counteroffer with caution.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you disagreed with your supervisor and how you handled it.   Answer Question

I was offered less than the lowest number in the salary range I provided them with at the beginning of the process. When I counter-offered for at least the low end of my range, Citgo rescinded the offer.

Engineering Intern Interview

On campus interview set up after job fair.

Intern Interview