CME Group

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.6

Junior Quantitative Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CME Group.

After receiving your resume, the HR consulting firm would reach you, arranging the interview.
    The first round is phone interview, the second round(I did not enter in that round) would be paper test and face to face interview.
    The content of the interview was comprehensive, including a lot of C++ questions, such as the diff between pass by name/reference, the benefit of initialization list, containers, etc; some typical brain teaser questions; and financial questions like the GARCH models, put-call parity and the Greeks

Interview Questions
    • No, if you prepared it well, the first round is not difficult   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CME Group.

One phone interview with HR. In person interviews with two different people. Process took about 2-3 weeks. Generally one of the easiest interview processes that I have gone through in the financial industry. Mostly just basic questions about my background and typical interview questions such as, "Why do you want to work here?", "What are your strengths?", etc.

Student Interview

Relatively standard. Applied online. Received a call roughly 2 weeks later. Went in to their Chicago offices. Was interviewed by the manager of the department. Heard a final answer a few days later. Need to pass a drug test before you begin work.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic stuff. Why does this field interest you etc.?   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at CME Group in October 2014.

I gave my resume at a career fair and I was called for a phone interview after a week. All the questions we on algorithms and data structures. It was also on java collections. Run and time complexities of all. We need to have them on our finger tips to be able to crack them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CME Group in October 2014.

Applied through university. The process took more than 2 months. The HR won't respond to your emails after the completion of interview. It took over 1 month for them a make a decision on my application.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were very bizarre and they didn't make sense. I spend most of the time during the interview asking clarifying questions. 2/3 of the interviewers seemed to unprepared.
      Example:
      Interviewer: "How you would store data?"
      Me: "Data?" (he interrupted me before I could complete my sentence)
      Interviewer: "Yes Data!"
      Me: "What kind of data?"
      Interviewer: "Stream of data."
      Me: "So your question is how to store a stream of data. What is the type of data? Integers, float.. " (he again interrupted me before I could complete my sentence)
      Interviewer: "Data is basically a combination of bits and bytes" (that does not make sense and neither did it answer my question!)
      .......
      To cut the long story short, after asking clarifying questions for over 10 minutes the interviewer told, "What is the size of an integer...is basically my question".
      I was totally confused as to why all of a sudden he changed his question.

Answer Question
    • Coding assignment based on Java language.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

One of the hiring manager conducted a phone interview. The main function of the job is to pricing energy products like gasoline, natural gas, oil. She focused mostly on what's on your resume. Mainly your experience and what projects you have done in class. Not much behavior questions showing up in this stage.
    My advice is to prepare whats on your resume and hopefully you will pass this round.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are reasonable, a few technical questions like how to do monte carlo, what are the parameters.   Answer Question

Risk Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at CME Group in August 2014.

Heard about the position from a friend, applied online and had resume submitted to hiring manager by friend. Heard back about a week later with a request to come in for an interview. The interview consisted of two rounds of two-panel interviewers. After the interview I received a call from HR in a short time with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Fairly standard. What's a forward? What's a future? What's an Option? If I produce gold and I'm trying to hedge, should I be long or short? If I have a 50% chance of losing $10 and a 50% chance of gaining $10, what is my expected value? What is Delta? What is the formula for CAPM?, how would I make a synthetic long using options? How would I make a Strangle?   View Answer
    They offered, I accepted, no negotiation.

Market Surveillance Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CME Group.

Phone Call, then in person interview, then a second in-person interview. I was excited about the first two steps and they went well, but the third was unorganized and strange.

Interview Questions
    • None. All straightforward. Seemed to be a lack of questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CME Group in July 2014.

Applied online and heard back about a week and a half later. Via email set up a time to speak with HR representative. We then set a time to speak with software engineers who were part of team I'd be working with. This was a phone interview which lasted about 25 minutes. They ask about past projects and then went right into Java questions. Difference between inheritance, abstract, and regular classes. Difference between a list and a set. They then asked a couple of questions relating to test driven development.

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CME Group.

Initial Phone Interview. About 20 minutes, mostly behavioral and background questions. Second interview was in person, lasted about 30 minutes with department director. Very laid back without and unexpected questions.