CME Group

CME Group Software Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Nov 29, 2014
Updated Nov 29, 2014

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at CME Group in October 2014.

I gave my resume at a career fair and I was called for a phone interview after a week. All the questions we on algorithms and data structures. It was also on java collections. Run and time complexities of all. We need to have them on our finger tips to be able to crack them.

Other Interview Reviews for CME Group

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CME Group in October 2014.

Applied through university. The process took more than 2 months. The HR won't respond to your emails after the completion of interview. It took over 1 month for them a make a decision on my application.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were very bizarre and they didn't make sense. I spend most of the time during the interview asking clarifying questions. 2/3 of the interviewers seemed to unprepared.
      Example:
      Interviewer: "How you would store data?"
      Me: "Data?" (he interrupted me before I could complete my sentence)
      Interviewer: "Yes Data!"
      Me: "What kind of data?"
      Interviewer: "Stream of data."
      Me: "So your question is how to store a stream of data. What is the type of data? Integers, float.. " (he again interrupted me before I could complete my sentence)
      Interviewer: "Data is basically a combination of bits and bytes" (that does not make sense and neither did it answer my question!)
      .......
      To cut the long story short, after asking clarifying questions for over 10 minutes the interviewer told, "What is the size of an integer...is basically my question".
      I was totally confused as to why all of a sudden he changed his question.

Answer Question
    • Coding assignment based on Java language.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CME Group in July 2014.

Applied online and heard back about a week and a half later. Via email set up a time to speak with HR representative. We then set a time to speak with software engineers who were part of team I'd be working with. This was a phone interview which lasted about 25 minutes. They ask about past projects and then went right into Java questions. Difference between inheritance, abstract, and regular classes. Difference between a list and a set. They then asked a couple of questions relating to test driven development.

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CME Group.

Met them first at a campus career event and they caught my interest. The first interview was over the phone because I was unable to do it on campus during the event. Then invited me to an onsite interview in their Chicago office. They put me up in a nice hotel and, for those that it matters to, got my reimbursed for the trip really quickly. The interview process took around 4 hours, had 4 separate interviews, 2 interviewers per interview. One was a code architecture exam, a coding question where they put you at a computer and give you a problem, one behavioral, and one general problem solving interview. They also had lunch and a brief of tour of their trading areas. They got back to before the end of the week with the outcome of the interview. At just about every stage I felt they acted professionally.

Interview Questions
    • How many shortest paths are there in a NxK grid from one corner to the opposite corner.   Answer Question
    I told them about my other offers and asked that they could match their salary, and they got close. After factoring in their other benefits CME was offering me a lot more.

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CME Group in September 2013.

Through campus hiring. On-campus interview and then on-site in Chicago. I enjoyed the process which included a tour of the trading floor. Interviews are a mix of technical and fit questions.

Interview Questions
    • I had one non-software related question: How many people in the U.S. smoke?   Answer Question

It was a strong offer, and I enjoyed the culture but I ultimately decided to go elsewhere.

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CME Group.

Started with an On Campus interview with basic technical questions and one programming white board question. Followed by an invite to an on-site interview. The on-site was composed of 2 HR style interviews and 4 technical. The technical were much more difficult then first interview mostly involving white board for writing code, design and answering questions.

Interview Questions
    • The database and web design part was the most unexpected. Included a lot of different parts.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CME Group in February 2008.

initially HR contacted and asked about my recent projects, interests etc. Then followed by a technical phone interview and finally in- office interview with 4 levels of people. Mostly technical questions.

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CME Group in December 2011.

Did not ask much of technical questions until the on-site interview. Resume checks on 2 phone interviews. One with software engineer from the development team, and the other from the manager. Questions were not hard, compare to other top software development companies. Asked about Test driven development, which they seem to apply it to their project. On-site interview was okay, but everyone seemed to be pretty much depressed somehow. It just looked like a regular old company. Received offer within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

The company seems to have poor support for software engineers. Most of the engineers that I talked to seem to have little or no life. I could feel low morale during the on-site interview.