CME Group

Getting the Interview

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer I

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at CME Group.

Interview Details – Met them first at a campus career event and they caught my interest. The first interview was over the phone because I was unable to do it on campus during the event. Then invited me to an onsite interview in their Chicago office. They put me up in a nice hotel and, for those that it matters to, got my reimbursed for the trip really quickly. The interview process took around 4 hours, had 4 separate interviews, 2 interviewers per interview. One was a code architecture exam, a coding question where they put you at a computer and give you a problem, one behavioral, and one general problem solving interview. They also had lunch and a brief of tour of their trading areas. They got back to before the end of the week with the outcome of the interview. At just about every stage I felt they acted professionally.

Interview Question – How many shortest paths are there in a NxK grid from one corner to the opposite corner.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told them about my other offers and asked that they could match their salary, and they got close. After factoring in their other benefits CME was offering me a lot more.

Software Engineer I

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CME Group.

Interview Details – Started with an On Campus interview with basic technical questions and one programming white board question. Followed by an invite to an on-site interview. The on-site was composed of 2 HR style interviews and 4 technical. The technical were much more difficult then first interview mostly involving white board for writing code, design and answering questions.

Interview Question – The database and web design part was the most unexpected. Included a lot of different parts.   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CME Group in February 2008.

Interview Details – initially HR contacted and asked about my recent projects, interests etc. Then followed by a technical phone interview and finally in- office interview with 4 levels of people. Mostly technical questions.

Interview Question – couple of multi-threading questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer I

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CME Group in December 2011.

Interview Details – Did not ask much of technical questions until the on-site interview. Resume checks on 2 phone interviews. One with software engineer from the development team, and the other from the manager. Questions were not hard, compare to other top software development companies. Asked about Test driven development, which they seem to apply it to their project. On-site interview was okay, but everyone seemed to be pretty much depressed somehow. It just looked like a regular old company. Received offer within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – The company seems to have poor support for software engineers. Most of the engineers that I talked to seem to have little or no life. I could feel low morale during the on-site interview.

Interviews for Top Jobs at CME Group

Worked for CME Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CME Group Software Engineer I interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by CME Group employees and interview candidates.