CNA

Behavioral

Claims Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lone Tree, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lone Tree, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CNA in October 2013.

CNA hires claims trainees for scheduled classes throughout the year. The recruiting process started in August for a November start date. In early October there was an "open house" with speed interviews scheduled afterward. I was told they had about 65-70 candidates to fill 9-10 spots. The open house is a presentation about the company. Then the group of about 20 is split into two. Each person gets 4 minutes with all 10 managers. Each manager asks one question and they take substantial notes. After that is done they will call back approximately 2 of 3 individuals for a face to face the next day with two hiring managers. This interview is very behavioral based. Having examples of customer service, innovation, priority setting, challenges are needed. The questions are pretty standard. Decisions are made off of the interviews. Getting consistency is difficult because different pairs of people do the face to face interviews simply because of the volume of candidates that are brought on in a very short time frame.

Interview Questions

There is zero room to negotiate the salary, The turnover is high and other opportunities offered more flexibility and salary growth.

Accountant Interview

Behavior Questions, Campus Recruiting, I have phone interview with new hr in the cna. Couples of behavior questions. Very normal. Appropriately she asked the same questions with my other classmates. I don't know why I couldn't get the offer. I asked my mentors about that, she pointed out that for some reasons they don't like other majors instead of accounting.

Risk Control Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CNA.

I first heard about CNA at one of my college's career fairs and dropped off my resume at their table. About two weeks later, I was invited to an information session held at the college and invited to register for an interview on campus. The interview was held a week after the information session and lasted a little over an hour. A few weeks later, I received an email from a hiring recruiter and asked to drive to a nearby city where I would have interviews with three different people. This process lasted a little over four hours and I was compensated for the travel expenses. I was contacted a month later by the same hiring recruiter who was just wanting to touch base to make sure that I was still interested in the position. I let her know that I had several other offers that I was considering and would like to know if CNA were interested enough of if I need to pursue the other options. I received a call about an hour later and was offered the position. I was sent an email with the hiring documents attached and I was able to sign the documents and send them back electronically.

Interview Questions
    • Both interviews are behavior based interviews and will ask questions that are designed to gauge how you would respond in a given situation. This interview technique is based on the idea that your past actions will dictate your future actions. The majority of the questions will ask you to explain a difficult situation, how you handled it, and what were the results. Keep in mind that these questions are trying to gauge your behaviors so be sure to show the skills in your responses that the job is looking for. I would suggest re-reading the job description before entering the interview and preparing your detailed responses to these skills. Be as specific as possible when answering. Doing research on behavioral based questions and preparing for some of the questions that are provided should help you be prepared for the process.   Answer Question
    As this was my first job, I did not try to negotiate the salary. The position is entry based and assuming that you make it through the trainee process, you will typically receive a bonus and salary increase. It is possible that you could try to negotiate the salary, but this was a position that I truly wanted and I didn't want to run the risk of them saying no and taking back the job offer.

Program Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CNA in September 2013.

Phone interview, typical questions where asked. She briefly ran over my resume out loud and you could tell it was her first time viewing it. I answered all the questions and had thought I did well but eventually was told I was under qualified in comparison to other candidates academic backgrounds.

Actuarial Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CNA.

Online Apply and initial phone interview

Interview Questions
    • none, just common questions like why you choosing our company, why you want to be actuary, tell me about yourself things like that   Answer Question

Human Resources Consulting Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CNA.

Found the job through a search firm. They handled all the details and negotiation. CNA uses a firm for all the HR jobs because Talent Acquisition is a joke. Interviewed with a blend of HR and business people. The CHRO is an odd duck. She had a blank stare on her face the whole meeting. I had my doubts about the job after meeting her but my future boss told me not to worry about her. She's apparently always like that.

Interview Questions
    • None really. They call their HR BPs "generalists" so it was a bit of a throwback to hear that term as they described the role.   Answer Question
    I got WAY more than I expected. Six figure salary, 15% bonus, signing bonus and a guaranteed bonus for March.

Policy Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maitland, FL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CNA in June 2013.

Recruiter called me for a phone screen and then scheduled me for a 1on1 interview. After a week later I had another interview with the manager of operations. Was supposed to receive feed back from recruiter and next steps but received non.

Policy Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maitland, FL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CNA in June 2013.

Applied online recv'd email for phone interview, then f2f with 2 managers. The f2f interview lasted only 20 minutes where managers seemed sort of interested. I was told that I would recv feedback from recruiter and also they were not sure of how soon they would decide. A month later never heard back and contacted hr recruiter to ask status of interview and position. HR is very unprofessional because to date after 2 months never recv'd a response for position. Mind you the same HR whom I contacted requesting if it was ok to apply for more than one positions and the same person responded immediately but never responded on status of position to date. I am sure by now it is clear I did not get the job but as a large company have some professionalism and contact applicants who took the time to ...prepare mentally, went and have an interview out of their day. Regardless whether it be we are the ones in need.

Interview Questions
    • On your last review tell me some thing you were ask to work on?   View Answers (3)

Law Clerk Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at CNA in April 2013.

East coast office was looking for a law clerk. Interviewed: loved the office, environment, employees, management. Everything was set: just needed to get the paperwork in order. And, of course, Corporate got involved. It went down hill from there. The third party background check company never stopped asking, verifying, asking again... nearly ten years back. Then CNA's Corporate HR management asked me for W-2s to verify my salary from 8 years before. Then they called the previous companies to verify salary information. After more than a month of this, I received an email from the Corporate Director of Employee Relations, Erin Hitchcock, an attorney no less, saying they were no longer pursuing my candidacy. Really? Maybe someone should have told the office who intended to hire me. Or the third party screening company who continued to verify my information. And, a month of intensive time spent by corporate and a third party screening company invested on a law clerk position?
    The reason for not pursiung my candidacy was illegal and discriminatory. With ethically compromised corporate management, I would not want to be associated with CNA. I feel sorry for those who work there and are at the mercy of inept CNA leadership.

Interview Questions
    • Please explain the discrepancy between your stated 2008 salary (in 2013) and that of your W-2 reported earnings?   View Answer

I was offered the job by the east coast office. Corporate opted to not pursue my candidacy. The salary was VERY LOW, but I liked the people in the office and wanted experience. Once I had dealings with corporate, I knew I would not have been able to work in such an ethically-challenged organization.