CNA Underwriter Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

3.1

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at CNA in August 2015.

Interview

Applied via university, received an email for a phone interview 2 weeks later. Asked a few questions to begin to make sure you're qualified for the program, such as, having a 3.0 gpa, authorized to work in the us, any family members that work for CNA, etc.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for CNA

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CNA.

Interview

I first received a phone interview which went into detail about the position and they asked a few behavioral questions. I was then asked to do an in person interview the following week. The in person was a meeting with two people, an HR specialist and the branch director. The HR specialist was very nice and easy to talk to. I had a great conversation with her. My problem was with the branch director from the moment I sat down for the interview I knew he didn't want to be there. He only asked me one question about how much I knew about surety bonds and explained to me why he's not happy with his job. That was a bit of downer and nobody wants that in their interview. I got a call a week later saying I didn't get the job, but was a very competitive candidate. At least they let you down easy.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CNA (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied and was called later for an over the phone interview. I then went to their headquarters in Chicago for a series of three interviews. They were slightly repetitive. The interview consisted of a lot of behavioral and situational questions. It was one of the more intense interviews I've had. Each one was about 25 minutes.

Interview Questions

Because I got an offer where I wouldn't have to relocate.

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CNA in November 2014.

Interview

Got an on campus interview at my colleges career fair. Interview was more of just seeing if I would be a good fit in the company, more of just a conversation with a manager. Got a call about a month later telling me that they wanted me to come to their regional interview were they were hosting final interviews. Interview was a rotation of three 30 minute interviews with different hiring managers. Heard back 4 days later about a decision.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest regret? How do you maintain your image as a brand?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, the salary was very good.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CNA (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Began with an on-campus interview for recruiting at my school with about 10 other applicants. I did 30 minutes in one room with a current underwriter who asked mostly behavioral question, and then switched to another underwriter and did another 30 minutes of behavioral questions. They both told me about the organization, their specific positions and what they thought the program was about. I didn't hear from them for a few weeks and then I got a call saying they wanted me to interview for super day. I went to the downtown office and there were 8 applicants interviewing for 4 different trainee locations. I met with VPs from the other cities and they were really curious to see if I had the right type of mindset for the job. I met with 4 different managers for 30 - 45 minutes a piece and then headed out.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be an underwriter? What do you know about commercial insurance?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiating on my end. It was a very good offer.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CNA (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Called for a phone screen, later followed by a phone interview with HR. This moved to an onsite interview with 6 various people from the company (low level managers to department heads to VPs). After the interview was asked by HR to fill out an online survey. After about a week, received an email saying that I would not be asked for an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CNA (Dallas, TX) in December 2011.

Interview

Met a guy at a career fair, weeks later I got an email or call to schedule a phone interview. Passed that (basic questions about resume). Went to office in Dallas for an interview. It was three 1:1 30-minute interviews. Mostly behavioral questions, but also asked about experiences with problems.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a conflict with another person   Answer Question